Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yesterday outing with E-trac

cookie58

First of all, I have nothing to post. I was hunting an old house site that has been pounded through the years because of its easy access. I was using discrimination of 32 from the bottom and 36 at the top if that is understandable. I saw Khouse's video and tried to simulate. I used multi tone. Some places there was a complete null. You know that there was silver hiding among all the rust. Sometimes the real rusty nails would just about lock with the second number being 45. Nothing brought home except a stainless screw...Thanks for any instruction...Also I've also tried the TTF.

About the only advice I can give would possibly be to try a smaller coil to get less interference from trash. I have a 5 inch one that works really well.

cookie58 said:
First of all, I have nothing to post. I was hunting an old house site that has been pounded through the years because of its easy access. I was using discrimination of 32 from the bottom and 36 at the top if that is understandable. I saw Khouse's video and tried to simulate. I used multi tone. Some places there was a complete null. You know that there was silver hiding among all the rust. Sometimes the real rusty nails would just about lock with the second number being 45. Nothing brought home except a stainless screw...Thanks for any instruction...Also I've also tried the TTF.

If I am understanding you correctly you are shooting yourself in the foot with those Discrimination readings. You should accept everything from Ferrous 10 to 15 Conductive from 10 to 15 to find Nickles. For other Coins Ferrous from 9 to at least 20 and conductive from 31 to 49

A reading of 12-34 is a Zinc Penny all the way to 12-38 You need a lot of Leeway on the 12 number from 9 to at least 20.

A Wheat Penny or some Dimes hit at 12-40 to 12-44

A Silver Dime will hit around 12-47 but if it is On End you may see 10-48 or even 10-45

A Nail in the hole with a Penny may read 20-41. See my other post reply "Pinpointer".

I'd discriminate ferrous at somewhere in the 20 to 25 range, that is, your screen should be black from the bottom up to 20 or 25. The suggestion of the small coil is also excellent.

New user here and also got skunked except for one zincoln. I need a lot more practice lol.

If you tried TTF with those discrimination settings, you should be ok but you're gonna hear a lot of iron grunts.
Just the way it is using TTF in an iron grave yard.

However, you don't say but it sounds like you're new to the eTRAC.
If so and as others suggested, i'd recommend using a tight multi pattern accepting coins only discriminating all iron and other junk out.
At least until you get some miles on that eTRAC.

seems like all i can hit is memorial pennies. accept 34-48 using ttf. the memorials come in as low as 37 and as high as 47. anyone else digging a bunch of memorials or is it just me. i did hit a merc saturday at 39

You could have a problem with your machine Zincs 12-34/36 Memorials 12-39/42 Dimes 12-42/45 Merc 12-45/47 Try a different coil other than stock preferably a smaller coil. I have never liked the stock coil, it blends way too many signals. Make sure you are set on Deep off, High Trash On and I like Fast On Remember a deep Memorial may give a 19-40 but that conductive number will always be close.

I have been running a relic program. I use manual sens and use a 8x6 sef right now. I am finding a lot. I dont look at numbers. I listen for a break in the threshold. I dug a lot of bolts and bobby pins. But dug 2 rings and gold pendant. I havent even tried to dig deep yet. So far the Etrac has excellent ability's and I am very happy with the purchase. The coin program cuts too much out for me. At some point I will need to change coils and programs, but man I am just stuck on this setting. It sounds like you are running the stock coil and running auto sens. Choke that bad boy down and settle the beast down. If you have a small coil you may want to use that. 4 tone, 2 tone may be better for you also. You start finding nickles and pull tabs you got it set right. If you arent finding pennys come over here and you can have some of mine. You want to dig copper signals if your looking for old coins. Now as good as the etrac is, you can not always go by sound or vdi(numbers). Set your threshold to a very light hum where you can barely hear it. Listen for the null(breaks) and the signals. If coins are not exploding in your head phones something is wrong. Get Andy S. book and read it also. It explains what I am saying a lot better. I have maybe 20 hours with the Etrac and it is screaming so far. I made the right purchase.