Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

yesterdays hunt 4/7/20

coopercat

I'm a new 800 user and i am digging a lot of iron at high tones. The number reading is high as well. I am sure i am doing something wrong, just don't know what it is. Yesterday i thought i was digging up a nickel on a solid 15 and it turned out to be a gold colored broach. i don't know if is real or not, also i have dug up 12 wheat pennies and NO silver. What am i doing wrong??

Attachments

• 0-6.jpeg
    0-6.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 0-7.jpeg
    0-7.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 136
Iron rings up high and sometimes high numbers which will bounce a lot silver halves 33-35 and silver dollar as high as 36 nickels should fall 12-13 I’ve had Silver war nickels go 14
Mark

Not sure gold falls in at all different numbers depending on how thick and caret and size of object I bought a gold test kit on fleabay not to expensive and it works well.
Mark

coopercat -- I'd submit that the only thing you are doing "wrong," is that you may be mistaking the amount of time it takes to learn the "nuances" of the Equinox's "dialect." It's EASY for ANYONE to hear a good solid tone, see a solid "25" on the display, and dig a 2-inch deep penny, of course. But, that's like saying you "know Spanish" because you have learned that "adios" means "good bye." The HARDER part, as I am sure you know, is becoming FLUENT -- i.e. learning the nuances of the unit's language. There is of course no shortcut; not sure if you are new to detecting, also, or just new the Minelab and/or the Equinox, but bottom line -- it takes hundreds of hours and thousands of digs to gain "expertise" -- and it's that expertise, which you can only acquire gradually over time, that slowly lets your number of "junk" digs to decrease, and your number of "good" digs to increase...i.e. the "trash-to-treasure ratio." Your ears and brain need time to learn to decipher the nuances, such that you will dig less of the iron high-tone "false" signals, and more of the high-tone "good" signals.

And yes, "15" is way too high for a nickel, with the exception of a few of the 35% silver "war" nickels. A nickel, as mkus noted, will be in the 12-13 range, possibly as low as bouncing between 11 and 12 when really old/really deep. And of course, that is ASSUMING it's a clean target, in low-mineral ground, with no other targets nearby that might throw things off...

Steve

coopercat -- I'd submit that the only thing you are doing "wrong," is that you may be mistaking the amount of time it takes to learn the "nuances" of the Equinox's "dialect." It's EASY for ANYONE to hear a good solid tone, see a solid "25" on the display, and dig a 2-inch deep penny, of course. But, that's like saying you "know Spanish" because you have learned that "adios" means "good bye." The HARDER part, as I am sure you know, is becoming FLUENT -- i.e. learning the nuances of the unit's language. There is of course no shortcut; not sure if you are new to detecting, also, or just new the Minelab and/or the Equinox, but bottom line -- it takes hundreds of hours and thousands of digs to gain "expertise" -- and it's that expertise, which you can only acquire gradually over time, that slowly lets your number of "junk" digs to decrease, and your number of "good" digs to increase...i.e. the "trash-to-treasure ratio." Your ears and brain need time to learn to decipher the nuances, such that you will dig less of the iron high-tone "false" signals, and more of the high-tone "good" signals.

And yes, "15" is way too high for a nickel, with the exception of a few of the 35% silver "war" nickels. A nickel, as mkus noted, will be in the 12-13 range, possibly as low as bouncing between 11 and 12 when really old/really deep. And of course, that is ASSUMING it's a clean target, in low-mineral ground, with no other targets nearby that might throw things off...

Steve
thanks Steve, i have had an interest for 30 years but just now do i have the time to actually practice my hobby. I truly appreaciate all the help i can get as i endeavor to learn. I am having great fun as i go. I'm headed out the door now to hunt, but i wanted to tell you thanks first!

coopercat -- you are quite welcome! Patience is key. I am glad you are able to pursue the hobby, after many years of being interested! Yes, definitely, having fun along the way, as you learn, is exactly the way to approach it!

Good luck on your hunt today!

Steve

Not sure gold falls in at all different numbers depending on how thick and caret and size of object I bought a gold test kit on fleabay not to expensive and it works well.
Mark
i'm kinda leaning toward costume jewelry, but that's ok it was lost and now it's found.i'm happy. Thanks Mark!

coopercat -- you are quite welcome! Patience is key. I am glad you are able to pursue the hobby, after many years of being interested! Yes, definitely, having fun along the way, as you learn, is exactly the way to approach it!

Good luck on your hunt today!

Steve
Here is todays hunt. The owner came by today while i was hunting just as i was pulling out one of the old wheats. He was pretty impressed. He gave me another acre to hunt in town. That permission was my biggest find today!

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 75
It might be easier to give some constructive guidance if you provide your settings.. most of that iron is rather small and should be avoidable... you may want to try recovery speed of 5 or 6 with a sensitivity setting of 18 or 19.. I prefer 5 or 2 tone.. 50 tone just makes too much garbage sound good....5,10 or 15 kHz works better for me at some of my trashy sites...multi frequency also gives me fits at some sites also making garbage sound good.. these are just my observations from the few areas I hunt .. if you are still digging coins your settings can’t be all that bad lol..all part of the learning process I guess,good luck..

I just found a mens gold ring behind an old cellar hole this past Saturday. It rang up a solid 13 . It is a thin band and came out of the ground as clean as the day it was lost. I was in park 1 , sensitivity 19 , 5 tone multi freq. Recovery 5. I am still learning the 800 as well. Great machine I can swing it for hours. I like constructive guidance over criticism any day ..

A shout out to Coopercat , welcome to the forum !! You are off to a great start with the 800 Nox . Even better that you have some permissions. HH

I also use 5 tones 50 drives me nuts! Lol
Mark

It might be easier to give some constructive guidance if you provide your settings.. most of that iron is rather small and should be avoidable... you may want to try recovery speed of 5 or 6 with a sensitivity setting of 18 or 19.. I prefer 5 or 2 tone.. 50 tone just makes too much garbage sound good....5,10 or 15 kHz works better for me at some of my trashy sites...multi frequency also gives me fits at some sites also making garbage sound good.. these are just my observations from the few areas I hunt .. if you are still digging coins your settings can’t be all that bad lol..all part of the learning process I guess,good luck..
i'm still running the factory setting, and getting way too much chatter. So far out of this site i have dug 15 wheat pennies 1910 to 1937, a bunch of clad coins and zincs, some costume jewelry and no silver. Not to mention a couple pounds of iron. This is not a large area, maybe 150 ft x 40 ft. I might pull a clad dime out of a hole with 5 or 6 nails. I see the iron plainly but i'll get that 27-29 flute so i dig. It is very hard to get a solid repeating signal in this location. It's enough to make a beginner pull out what little hair he has left.

A shout out to Coopercat , welcome to the forum !! You are off to a great start with the 800 Nox . Even better that you have some permissions. HH
My wedding ring gives me an eighteen, did my wife rip me off!? Just kidding thanks for the welcome!!

Yes , I noise cancel frequently. Especially if I think I am getting any unnecessary chatter. Usually between 18 -20 . This past Sunday I had it maxed out a few times . I was out in the middle of the woods searching some old homesteads. Trying to get as much depth as possible. I let my brother use my AT Max and he found a sweet colonial flat (coat button) with a sunburst on it. I came up empty handed at that particular spot. I did end up with a smaller flat button at another cellar hole on the way back to my vehicle. It rang up a solid 7 and didnt deviate. I will post some pics when I can .

Pouring rain right now in MA . I could go out swinging , but it usually turns into a mud fest.

Pouring rain right now in MA . I could go out swinging , but it usually turns into a mud fest.
We here in ky had a big rain last night, but now it's sunny and cool. I just finished all my HONEY DOO'S (you know honey do this-honey do that) now i'm off to hunt.Stay dry up there!