Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yet another ring from the park today

Next time I'm out I'll note where the discrimination dial sits for killing everything above about 90 (will give an exact VDI # when I post it). Even the smallest of white gold rings start at about 75 on the VDI scale. I read this elsewhere and have confirmed it with my own testing, so there isn't much point in listening to all those tiny bits of junk if they are loaded at a site. Even set at 90 and using the notch you'll still recover most rings by the numbers. I note the exact break down in percentages in the picture of the ring numbers in that thread.

About the only way you could get close to setting the notch properly would be to test it on about twenty nickles. Some read as low as 139, while most read about 142 to 146, while still yet a few will read 148. If you raised the notch all the way up and then lowered it to where it just starts killing at least one of those nickles, then raised it a tiny bit you'll probably be right around 150 to 152 as the notch's starting point. Problem is you don't know if one of those nickles is a 148, so you'd have to sweep over each and every one each time you lowered the notch until one starts to null out, then raise it a bit. The other way is if you had a 173 penny signal and then could lower it down a bit from there. Really the only solid solution would be to use a tab that is reading 165. If you want me to mail you one PM me a name and address. No cost of course.