Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

You can have only 1 detector and its a Tesoro, which?

I'd have to say...I would hold on to my Toltec 100. You talk about coolness factor, it's got it, plenty of knobs for fine tuning, and a fast, accurate Target ID meter. It hates iron because of it's built in Disc. (D 90) discrimination when it is set to minimum. It hits hard and loud on mid depth targets when the Threshold is turned up. Remember to turn the Thresh. back down when pinpointing in all-metal. I really like this old dinosaur.

Monte said:
NOT be a Tesoro simply due to a Lifetime Warranty.

☒ They don't make a model today that really appeals to me like the Bandido II µMAX or Eldorado µMAX.

☒ They don't make a 7" Concentric coil.

☒ They don't make a decent Target ID that has manual or automated Ground Balance to handle both an All Metal and Discriminate mode.

☒ No "Lifetime Warranty" on used units, and should the company fold or sell off, that wouldn't, or might not, be available ay longer.

If I limited myself to one detector today and just two search coils, it would be an MXT All-Pro w/6½" and 9" spider.

Fortunately we are not under such a restriction so I can tote my four reliable-performing detectors to handle most any need I encounter, and in that mix is one of my all-time favorite Tesoro's, a Bandido II µMAX. If I did have to cut to only 1 Tesoro, other than my Bandido II µMAX, my favorite all-application performer from Tesoro was the Eldorado, µMAX version, and I'd have to go shopping as they are difficult to find in decent condition.

Monte

WOW, sounds like somebody has an axe to grind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rainyday101 said:
Monte said:

☒ They don't make a model today that really appeals to me like the Bandido II µMAX or Eldorado µMAX.

☒ They don't make a decent Target ID that has manual or automated Ground Balance to handle both an All Metal and Discriminate mode.

☒ No "Lifetime Warranty" on used units, and should the company fold or sell off, that wouldn't, or might not, be available ay longer.

If I limited myself to one detector today and just two search coils, it would be an MXT All-Pro w/6½" and 9" spider.

Fortunately we are not under such a restriction so I can tote my four reliable-performing detectors to handle most any need I encounter, and in that mix is one of my all-time favorite Tesoro's, a Bandido II µMAX. If I did have to cut to only 1 Tesoro, other than my Bandido II µMAX, my favorite all-application performer from Tesoro was the Eldorado, µMAX version, and I'd have to go shopping as they are difficult to find in decent condition.

Monte

Good call.

tabman

Rainyday101 said:
Monte said:

Monte

WOW, sounds like somebody has an axe to grind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, no axe to grind, just a statement of facts.

Of the current production, if I had to, I'd take an Outlaw with 5¾" and 8x9 Concentric coils. But while close, it isn't a Bandido II µMAX or Eldorado µMAX, the two Tesoro models I like, and please note that I own and use, and have always enjoyed, a Bandido II µMAX.

I stated they don't make a 7" Concentric coil, which I prefer. That's currently on my Tesoro, and I used the 7" Concentric coils since mid-83 almost exclusively. I have always preferred coils in the 6" to 7" size range, of Concentric design. They don't make it today, so that's a negative for me. Just a fact.

They only make two models with Target ID, and both rely on internally preset Ground Balance for the Discriminate mode, and both models performed terribly for me in the higher mineralized ground where I hunt, and the Cortés needed ample adjustment to get it working with the 7", 10X12 and CleanSweep coils I used on it as all resulted in bad performance due to the too negative preset GB with those coils.

As I stated, I do not rely on a Lifetime Warranty because I often buy used, and I have owned a few other brands in the past that also had a "Lifetime Warranty" but those businesses died or were sold and there no longer was a Lifetime of opportunity to get them fixed. Could that happen with Tesoro? Who knows. Besides, if a Lifetime Warranty is offered it is either because they use that as a sales promotion, OR their detectors are usually built solid and work well with little in-the-field failure. I put many Tesoro's that I prefer in the latter category and haven't really needed any reliance on a Lifetime Warranty.

Then I simply stated my #1 detector pick, which has a visual display, automated Ground Balance, a 6½" Concentric coil, and no issues that called for any warranty concerns. Tesoro doesn't match that offering, but I also stated I own and carry a Bandido II µMAX with me as one of the 3 or 4 detectors that are always in my vehicle. Not "grinding an axe," just stating some facts. All the while hoping we will soon see some improvement in Tesoro product offerings that will be more modern with features and performance.

Monte

Monte, Obama fooled over half the country TWICE. He didn't fool me once.:)

tabman

Monte said:
All the while hoping we will soon see some improvement in Tesoro product offerings that will be more modern with features and performance.

Come one Monte, you have been around detectors long enough to know that single freq. VLF technology has been for awhile and is about as far as it's gonna go. Maybe a slight exception to this has been some newer coil designs. So the question is what are modern features? Modern VLF features are nothing but ways of digitally manipulating analog signals to show the user something he wants to see or that looks new. There is only so much you can do with the received analog signal. In the end your modern features are nothing more than some programmers wet dream of displaying the same ole in a different manner. In the end all that fancy programming can't tell the difference between the right shape and size of can slaw and a coin. Even the best microproccesor programmers can't get something out of the received analog signal that is not there. One of the big things done has been high gain. Where is the gain being done? I would bet without a doubt it is done in the receiver, not digitally. I don't want digital interpretations, I want the real thing.

Then performance? You gotta be kidding me, have you seen the depth of a Tejon, Deleon, Vaquero, Tiger Shark?

Rainyday101 said:
Monte said:
All the while hoping we will soon see some improvement in Tesoro product offerings that will be more modern with features and performance.
. Very well said.

Come one Monte, you have been around detectors long enough to know that single freq. VLF technology has been for awhile and is about as far as it's gonna go. Maybe a slight exception to this has been some newer coil designs. So the question is what are modern features? Modern VLF features are nothing but ways of digitally manipulating analog signals to show the user something he wants to see or that looks new. There is only so much you can do with the received analog signal. In the end your modern features are nothing more than some programmers wet dream of displaying the same ole in a different manner. In the end all that fancy programming can't tell the difference between the right shape and size of can slaw and a coin. Even the best microproccesor programmers can't get something out of the received analog signal that is not there. One of the big things done has been high gain. Where is the gain being done? I would bet without a doubt it is done in the receiver, not digitally. I don't want digital interpretations, I want the real thing.

Then performance? You gotta be kidding me, have you seen the depth of a Tejon, Deleon, Vaquero, Tiger Shark?

Rainyday101 said:
Monte said:

The man spoke his opinion based on his experience (which sounds pretty exstensive to me). I just knew the "cheerleaders" would jump and of course you guys did.

There's a LOT more to performance than depth and yes, I "DID" have a Tejon and YES it has depth, probably more than most.

yes but tesoro doesnt have to worry about software update a great service department and very good in nails and iron they will beat a lot of machines that have a 5inch coil and the tesoro can have a 7 or 8 and win in nails and iron built quality is great thanks tesoro and rusty henry

oneguy said:
Rainyday101 said:
Monte said:

The man spoke his opinion based on his experience (which sounds pretty exstensive to me). I just knew the "cheerleaders" would jump and of course you guys did.

There's a LOT more to performance than depth and yes, I "DID" have a Tejon and YES it has depth, probably more than most.

"chearleaders" LOL!!!

The thing is the post was which Tesoro would you chose if you could only have one. NOT why Tesoro isn't up to your standards. I don't quite understand what you are saying about there being a LOT more to performance. I do understand there is more than depth, but I don't feel Tesoro is lacking in performance in any way shape or form. Just because they don't make all the decisions for you on a display does not mean they lack in performance. Even an experienced hand like Monte knows the audio takes precedence over the display.

So "cheerleader" - I think not, and that's my opinion.

for the most fun and the true spirit of the game, the beep and dig the compadre is the only way to go, it has found me as much stuff as any other high priced units that i own.

Of the two Tesoros that I have used, my favorite is the vaquero. I would sure love to try a tejon on a relic hunt though.

Cazador. Sorry I couldn't help myself. Lol

The Outlaw works for me although I think I have a hot one! It gets depth comparable to my Vaq and works great in most all of my hunting environments.

I thought about this some more and I think that I would chose a Tiger shark. One of the old ones with changeable coils. I have liked every Tesoro I have ever had. I never had a Tiger shark, but its water proof and a Tesoro so its got to be good. This would cover 95% of all detecting I do.

machineman said:
I thought about this some more and I think that I would chose a Tiger shark. One of the old ones with changeable coils. I have liked every Tesoro I have ever had. I never had a Tiger shark, but its water proof and a Tesoro so its got to be good. This would cover 95% of all detecting I do.

I really don't think the interchangeable coil is necessary. When you are in the water you are using a sand scoop. It beeps, you should seriously consider scooping! You don't need target separation like you do on land. In the water I want coverage and depth. A 10" coil on a Tiger is deep, gets good coverage and has decent separation- the sand scoop does the rest. I am really glad I went with the 10". Water hunting isn't what it used to be- to dam many wannabees with AT Pro's out there now. Pickings are definitely slimmer.

Rainyday101 said:
Monte said:

Monte

Careful you will get old Monte going about being a Tesoro dealer at one time :clapping:.......Everyone has an opinion and old Monte been around a while and has a few to throw out there, but the question was ( You can have only 1 detector and its a Tesoro, which? ) So I really think the guy that started this thread wanted to know about the Tesoro line of detectors and I am assuming he wanted opinions on both present and past Tesoro models.

For me I would choose the Outlaw or the Vaquero if I could only have one Tesoro detector. There are many threads covering the positives of both these Tesoro detectors.

Happy Hunting To All, :detecting:
Bill G

tabman said:
Monte, Obama fooled over half the country TWICE. He didn't fool me once.:)

tabman

Amen Brother, I agree 100% with you :thumbup: You can read between the lines too :thumbup:

Happy Hunting, :detecting:
Bill G