Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Your best tip for someone starting with the CTX

GKMan

If you wanted to help someone hit the ground running with the CTX. What do you think the best advice would be to give them? I am thinking CTXcentric type responses, but if you think there are more important bits of advice that go beyond just the CTX what would they be?
For me, I would still suggest visiting this forum. It may be quiet now. But there is an encyclopedic amount of information hidden within that covers practically all things CTX.
I would also suggest understanding and interpreting target trace, enabling pitch hold, for the most part keeping the detector at auto + 3, and more generally digging those iffy signals.

I will go 1st :biggrin:

work out your prey (coin etc..) and set the 4 tone bins with the Hz of your choice and leave them there and do not change them for all eternity and I guarantee your finds will get better and better...

AJ

amberjack said:
I will go 1st :biggrin:

work out your prey (coin etc..) and set the 4 tone bins with the Hz of your choice and leave them there and do not change them for all eternity and I guarantee your finds will get better and better...

AJ
Do you ever sleep AJ? You post all times of day and you're on the other side of the world.

I have changed my setup very little over the years with regards to the bins and make some good finds, so it sounds like pretty good advice to me.

yeah doze off every now and then for couple hrs.

yes I have some "other" patterns with different tone bins for gold jewellery but 99% of my ctx hunting is zinc and up and that pattern and tone bins I made 4 years ago and its just getting real good :biggrin:

good to hear I am not the only one who likes to learn the little bits that make a heap of difference :biggrin:

AJ

Great advice from both posts, especially when starting out with the CTX do not be afraid of digging those iffy signals but pay attention to the clarity of the tones. "Almost" always an iron false will have a harmonic tone when the coil comes off the target. It gives a quick and short variant in pitch. By turning 45 degrees quite often signal disappears or diminishes in intensity. If that happens tighten your swing to see if you can isolate a good tone, if any doubt dig it! An important tool to use....your brain! Remember how targets responded to your machines tones, target ID, and target trace. Your brain and ears are the best discrimination tool you have. When asked how to become a better bicycle racer the great Eddy Mercx replied "Ride lots!" The more you use your machine and remember the better you will get.

Nice Tony... Your response and advice made me think of a copper I dug yesterday. I wished I had been recording it since it would have been pretty impressive what happened. I was along the edge of the field and I heard just barely a squeak among a bunch of iron, but when I just barely swung the coil I was able to get a steady coin tone. I dug out three nails in that area and each time the coin tone became stronger and stronger until finally I was left with a high tone alone. Then out popped my copper. Later I found it was either a KG or a Draped bust. Can't recall which I dug first.

So just like you mentioned, that tight swing really helped isolate the signal.

Since AJ took my first response, I'll have to go with my second:

0-disc. Open that screen up and let all the targets in. The more you hear, the more information you'll have to help you make that dig-it-or-not decision.

I always give new owners the same advice: download and read the user manual, buy and read the Sabich book. Put it in a factory mode and dig everything that beeps until you understand what the tones and responses are. Start out in a clean park, beach, or even tot lot until responses and pinpointing are good. After you get a feel for the operation, then start making some changes to settings. Give yourself at least 10 hours of use before things start to "click" with it, and give it at least 100 hours to really start to fully understand.

Learn to walk before you try to run.

All good advice; mine is almost identical to Jason's. Sabich book and then get out and hunt that sucker. And by all means, give yourself time to learn.

I do disagree with anyone not running 50C; I just don't understand why limiting data to your brain is so popular unless it is a holdover from the way previous machine were used. Don't get me wrong, to each his own and if it works for you, then it is the Right Answer.
(and I hate pitch hold unless its in a very clean area)

Oh, and don't start thinking 'I need so and so's magic program'. You don't.

I feel the same as Champ, I hate pitch hold.... but some people like it, so to each their own. As for running 50C, I will give the reason I don't. I use combined because I like the bins. I don't need different tones for cent, dime, quarter, etc. Al I need to know is if it's likely to be a high coin, or an IH, etc. Thats enough info for my dig decision.

One of the great things about the CTX is people can make it respond in the way they like best!

The value I have found with Pitch Hold is if you happen to let your mind wander for a moment, it will clue you in by the fact that the threshold tone is now different. I heard that Andy is a proponent of it. It is something I have been using since back in the Explorer days until now.

I honestly haven't ever given 50 tone a chance. I don't remember ever hearing any in depth discussions about the pro's and con's of either which is interesting. My guess, is that shortly after the detector came out Evan's CTX Gonehunting program took off in popularity, probably squelching the chances for other setups to become as popular early on.

I just set up the tone bins when I 1st got it, I tried to replicate the etrac 50 tones (for the 1st 2 days) and couldn't so went well I am going the bins and its been very productive even the bleed through zone after time has found me a lot of coins I may have missed but that as everyone has mentioned regardless of tone preference time with the machine is key.

interesting read.

AJ

GKMan said:
The value I have found with Pitch Hold is if you happen to let your mind wander for a moment, it will clue you in by the fact that the threshold tone is now different. I heard that Andy is a proponent of it. It is something I have been using since back in the Explorer days until now.

I honestly haven't ever given 50 tone a chance. I don't remember ever hearing any in depth discussions about the pro's and con's of either which is interesting. My guess, is that shortly after the detector came out Evan's CTX Gonehunting program took off in popularity, probably squelching the chances for other setups to become as popular early on.

Gary, you heard correctly. Andy Sabich made a strong recommendation at his Boot Camp for using Pitch Hold and because he was such a proponent I gave it a try for several hunts. Damn near drove me crazy (trashy parks and schools). If my mind wandered for even a few seconds, I had already swept a big handful of trash.
Now on the beach, its an entirely different story. I'm used to the Excal there and so I set Pitch Hold to 'on' for my beach hunts. I can tolerate ph for the small amount of hunting around the trash cans. If you miss a whisper signal, pitch hold at the beach really can help.

GKMan said:
For me, I would still suggest visiting this forum. It may be quiet now. But there is an encyclopedic amount of information hidden within that covers practically all things CTX.
I would also suggest understanding and interpreting target trace, enabling pitch hold, for the most part keeping the detector at auto + 3, and more generally digging those iffy signals.

Good points Gary. For those who haven't been around the CTX as long as some of us, going back through the earlier posts, (as well as using the Search function on this forum) will provide you a wealth of knowledge. A person could probably fill several books with just the information posted on here over the years. In addition, there are some good Treasure Talk blog posts on Minelab's website. And of course, the videos that some of the more experienced CTX user's, such as yourself, have posted on YouTube. HH Randy

I've got a test garden laid out with targets thats on top of my list, coins, civil war, colonial and other various artifacts. I mapped it out and use it on a regular basis. sometimes I'll throw some iron around on the ground just to mix it up a bit. I've got a few minnie balls buried 13" to 15" that sometimes hits and sometimes doesn't depending on current conditions and different coil on the machine. While I have picked up a few pointers here and with Andy's book I've gained more personal real world experience by doing so.

Time with the machine is most valuable, it has made me more confident with the CTX.

HH

Digger said:
GKMan said:

Good points Gary. For those who haven't been around the CTX as long as some of us, going back through the earlier posts, (as well as using the Search function on this forum) will provide you a wealth of knowledge. A person could probably fill several books with just the information posted on here over the years. In addition, there are some good Treasure Talk blog posts on Minelab's website. And of course, the videos that some of the more experienced CTX user's, such as yourself, have posted on YouTube. HH Randy

Randy and Gary are right, what I have done with both the E-Trac and CTX is when I found an interest post, tip or instruction I would copy and paste it into a document and print it off. I have two large binders filled with good stuff and I occasionally go back through them to refresh my memory.

Pitch hold drives me nuts but I have found that if you only have 2 tones to deal with it makes it somewhat tolerant .

I set my bins different with pitch hold 10 to 15 1000 hz and 29 to 50 1000 hz all the other bins are set at 75 hz with the fee line at 26 .

This lets me get most of the coins except a few and I miss some gold to but this is ran where there is not much of a chance of either of this items if you want the copper nickel just change the 20 to 24 line to 1000 hz .

Now that I only have 2 tones to concentrate on it makes it a lot easier on the ears .

Pitch hold works very good in target rich areas where there are just to many signals machine gun areas where it's non stop clatter you still have to go slow to hear all the sounds only being 2 . Give it a try you always can go back to your normal mode after you totally fried your brain . But with only 2 tones to listen to instead of 5 you will get less brain frying . sube

Sube
Since you probably are a true Master at Target Trace. Would there be one suggestion you could make to folks that are just starting out with the CTX to make them more successful by using this feature?
Obviously it's a very involved subject with lots of variables. But is there one key perhaps that is more important than others?

Well there are 2 that trump all others #1 you have to stay on that exact spot you received the good signal from . #2 is the target trace going to the same place on the screen when in high trash low trash or ground coin . Ferrous coin will leave it in place on the screen the trace compared to the others now is the red spot staying in place on the screen left and right on the 12 line is good when it's traveling up and down there's something else with it making it unstable .

There are other things to look for but these are the most important the more red and stable the trace the better the chances of a good item .sube

Buy the 6" coil. Best small coil I've ever used. Use it to learn unless you are in a pretty clean area. The small coil stays on in the places I hunt.