Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Your Nox Beach Settings?

davidm88

I have used my Nox 800 at the beach, wet and dry sand for many hours with some good results. I started early on with factory beach settings, mostly beach 2. I have since tinkered with the iron bias and the recovery speed, lowering both to maybe reach a little deeper. I'm not convinced that is has made any effect on depth. Want some input from anyone with similar experimentation. Thanks!

In my very limited saltwater experience I used beach 2 ,recovery 1, all metal, sensitivity one number below chatty where ever that falls usually around 18, iron bias 0-2 depending on beach...

I am not a hundred percent sure that recovery speed really makes much difference in depth on the beach. Really depends on how fast you are swinging the coil and if you can hear the good thru the chattiness. Sensitivity allows bit more depth to go a bit further but at the cost of more noise from the salt and minerals, emi, etc. Iron Bias FE/FE2...I pretty much keep that stock now on the beach. I will dig everything that is a repeatable sound to it even if it is a whisper but repeatable (that is the deep stuff I love to hear especially on the wet sand).

I usually use Beach 1 with a 3 tone set up (<0/1-19/20>) with around 20-21 sensitivity but will switch to Beach 2 when swishing through the water or my ears need a rest.

Also depends on the coil...I use the 15" Minelab coil alot but found that I like using the 11" since it seems to pick up some very tiny stuff even at a decent depth in wet sand whereas I think the 15" is more for coverage and maybe a wee bit more depth at the cost of getting some of the very tiny targets (I have found some incredibly tiny metal things at 6-8in in wet sand with the 15" but more with the 11").

I am not a hundred percent sure that recovery speed really makes much difference in depth on the beach. Really depends on how fast you are swinging the coil and if you can hear the good thru the chattiness. Sensitivity allows bit more depth to go a bit further but at the cost of more noise from the salt and minerals, emi, etc. Iron Bias FE/FE2...I pretty much keep that stock now on the beach. I will dig everything that is a repeatable sound to it even if it is a whisper but repeatable (that is the deep stuff I love to hear especially on the wet sand).

I usually use Beach 1 with a 3 tone set up (<0/1-19/20>) with around 20-21 sensitivity but will switch to Beach 2 when swishing through the water or my ears need a rest.

Also depends on the coil...I use the 15" Minelab coil alot but found that I like using the 11" since it seems to pick up some very tiny stuff even at a decent depth in wet sand whereas I think the 15" is more for coverage and maybe a wee bit more depth at the cost of getting some of the very tiny targets (I have found some incredibly tiny metal things at 6-8in in wet sand with the 15" but more with the 11").
I used my 15 inch Coiltek at the beach last month, and I was picking up amazing tiny pieces such as shoe lace eyelets, the little aluminum band that closes ice bags etc. no jewelry though. I figure I'll pick up an erring backing with that kind of fidelity.

I will certainly give you the settings I use on east coast Central Florida beaches but that doesn't mean they'll be optimal on your beaches. As I always say, "~ Predetermined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat ~"

I use my 3 tone set up, ( zone 1 = -9 - 0; zone 2 = 1-18; zone 3 = 19+), Beach 1 on the dry and damp sand and Beach 2 on the wet and surf. Recovery 4-6, F2 4-6, sensitivity 18-23.

These settings will get you in the ball park but you have to tailor your settings to the environment to optimize the EQX performance.

Just the view from my foxhole...

I used my 15 inch Coiltek at the beach last month, and I was picking up amazing tiny pieces such as shoe lace eyelets, the little aluminum band that closes ice bags etc. no jewelry though. I figure I'll pick up an erring backing with that kind of fidelity.
I'd love to try out the Coiltek 15" at the beach to see how it handles compared to the Minelab 15". If I thought about it, I'd say I'd want to see greater stability at higher sensitivity, better pinpointing, less weight and better swing-ability before I'd get the 15" Coiltek. I used to swing a 15" Coiltek on my Explorer and it rarely left the machine at the beach even tho it made that Explorer even more like a pinball machine with its ever-present chatter.

The Coiltek 14x9 NOX coil looks like a better option if I was looking for a new beach coil for my Eq800. I had a NEL Thunder 14.5x10.5 for my X-Terra 705 and absolutely adored it for its stability and target separation but then the X-Terra wasn't the best beach detector esp for wet sand.

I may be wrong but I assume it means with horse shoe button on so even iron sounds off..that’s what I do usually in 2 tone..then dig all non ferrous targets from 1 on up...
I usually say wide-open when I am using high sensitivity with low discrimination or in all-metal mode. In other words, a machine that is just stable enough without being overwhelming and can make out good signals thru the falsing. Dig everything mode on everything that has a repeatable signal.