Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Youtube video subscribers?

HaroldILL.

Why do some of You subscribe to Youtubers who use shovels in parks and public sites? Most are also not back filling. They are killing the Hobby.
And by subscribing to their channel You are enabling them to help kill the Hobby. We lost most public land in Illinois and it will happen to You also. Think about this next time You watch their careless digging to get that elusive Silver number whatever for the Year.

Harold, I actually cringe when I see the size of the holes some of these people are digging and how the excess dirt is merely brushed quickly into the hole with a shovel or hand. To make matters worse, many of these videos are filmed at very nice homes. I guess this will open a huge debate on how the ground actually heals. I know it is easier-quicker to dig a big plug with some sort of shovel and many times the ground will heal over, but many times it won't and that is what concerns me. Spots to detect are getting scarce so for the well being of the hobby, we all must show the public that we are good stewards for this hobby.

Yes and most don't even back fill. Not only that it looks bad to a busy body when You and even more people are walking around with shovels.
People on YouTube treat them like Heroes?
You say anything negative and they all come to their defense. Easy to do when You still have sites left to Detect. I bet that changes when they loose their spots.
Unless they did not have true passion for the Hobby to begin with.

Harold said:
Why do some of You subscribe to Youtubers who use shovels in parks and public sites? Most are also not back filling. They are killing the Hobby.
And by subscribing to their channel You are enabling them to help kill the Hobby. We lost most public land in Illinois and it will happen to You also. Think about this next time You watch their careless digging to get that elusive Silver number whatever for the Year.

Harold,can you supply the links to some of these YouTubers mentioned? It would help greatly.

Here is one look at the big holes these guys dig. And 4 at at time detecting? Crazy.
https://youtu.be/AnWAUkQRN0o

Here's another Guy who always uses a Shovel in parks and does not back fill. Everybody pats Him on the back on another Forum.

https://youtu.be/itpadO4shSI
This is just a couple of many.

Those guys are "professionals" Harold.
Probably all have big fans on the forums , do elaborate detector evaluations and think anyone who disagrees with their opinions is a troll.:thumbdown:

I'm not sure if I back fill because I never heard that term until today and I'm not sure what it means.

Back fill is carry a towel or such to put the loose dirt on. When You find the target slide the dirt from the the towel back in the hole stomp it down and replace a hinged plug. Very easy to do unless a person is lazy. I am in My 50s and get down on My hands and knees and do it with a hand trowel. These Young Guys are just plain lazy and don't give a Damn.

I don't watch most of these videos as they mostly make me mad as many don't pinpoint so they don't know where the target is, then they take the shovel and just dig and keep digging to the side just like the video of the guy with the walker. What a big hole and dirt was all over the place and never watch if he filled the hole back up with what dirt he could find.
Some will say as we seen a while back that the shovels do a better job of digging a plug, but we see it don't in most cases plus seeing someone carry a shovel in a park is a sure way to get people looking and complaining.
I am from the old school of detecting since I started in 1973 and one thing that was pounded in was not to dig a hole unless you have to as we used ice picks to locate so we wanted to be right on when finding the target before we did any digging. We learned the ice pick ruined some nice coin so we went to brass probes and pushed in the ground slowly and use a screwdriver to dig the coin out with. Now we just take the time to pinpoint carefully and use our digging knives like the Lesche to dig a clean plug if it is deeper, if not we just use our pin pointers to tell right where the target is and pop it out with the brass probe or me with a long narrow screwdriver.
Been told of a caretaker throwing 2 guy out of a very old parks 2 different times the same guys as they used big shovels and was told next time they come back they will have the cops called. A few of us have no problem with this caretaker as we dig small plugs.
Got a busy body call the cops on me that said I was digging hole on the school property and after showing them how I did it and showed them where I had dug they just said they had to check it out and said they wish others would do it that as it was very hard to see where I had dug those small plugs.
I seen a lot in my years of detecting, some good and some real bad , I am surprised more places are not off limits from some of the areas I have seen and people I talk to as some people that are not happy they way some dig as they have no respect for public property.
The shovels are made for the farm fields where this type of digging works out, but too any holes should be filled back in.

Rick