Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Zinc Lincoln cents: I may just be reading too much

Hey Doug.

Wow! Another Nebraskan. Good to see ya here.

About your Zinc troubles...I hear ya. I've got a park that has a number of them AND IH's...well, had a number of them. At this spot they can come in at the same number which also means the same sound. One trick I do and worked for me pretty good last time is to:

Lower the gain to about 15. By doing this one thing, I was able to pick up "volume" wise the deep (8-10") targets differently than the shallower (2-5").

Let me state by saying I do not always do this nor recommend it all the time. But at this particular spot I've found an IH or Wheat for that matter that was shallower then 6"...with about 30 hours at this area. Once you've dug a few targets at some spots, you get a feel for the how deep things are.

You probably know all that through experience with your SE. As far as the numbers go the MAJORITY of my IH's come in at 12-34, zincs usually ride that 12-38...but again, I've seen it reversed as well.

NebTrac

FWIW, I've found that the more corroded the zincoln is, the lower it's reading will be. But most zincolns come in around 37 - 38. I have seen ones that were half eaten away come in around 34 - 35.

Bruce

Something to make it easier to type and say about the new junk pennies......I call them Zincolns........NGE

Well...first you could make your own program or alter one to accept the good pennies and/or coins and disc out the zincs. Its not fail safe but would mostly do the job.
"
Second thing to note....you might miss a good coin or miss something better if you do the first. I have thought I was getting a penny many times and came up with something much better. Remember, the numbers are scaled to coin attributes, so it looked at what it 'thinks" it is and takes its best shot.

Good luck!

Thanks Guys.

I've now got about 3 hours with this machine. Hit an old place with my son last night. We pulled a couple of '40's wheats and I pulled a lot of clad. Although not sounding 100% identical to the SE I did notice that the zinc's sound quite similar to what I've been hating - I mean hearing : ) - with the SE. I'm going to play with the variability to see if I can get things to sound "more the same".

Next dumb question coming soon : )

OK I will ask this here. Has anyone noticed that while in pinpoint that zinc's close to or on the surface will not give a response?

You may have the pinpoint settings set wrong or not the way you want them. Also, when you pinpoint, make sure coil is at least 1 foot away( or more) before trying to pinpoint your target. It might think you are trying to find something else than the intended target thus eliminating what you are trying to seek.

Try the different pinpoint setting and see which one works for you....a few minutes in the backyard with a coin and you should be good to go!

Good luck to you!

Actually I just raise the coil an inch or 2 and it then pinpoints.