Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

“Excelsior” In Wyoming?

Silverstreak

My son and I have been hunting an old fort site here in Wyoming state. Sunday was our 3rd time here(huge location) I was finding the typical bullets, old casings, and eagle buttons here and there. Then out pops a different cuff sized button! I didn’t mess with it out in the field. I got around to checking out my finds today and the button is a NY Excelsior button! I cleaned it with some lemon juice and it has quite a bit of guilt left. I also found a belt keeper… To bad the belt plate wasn’t there with it!

I still need to go through my son’s finds… I know he found a kepi buckle, bullets, eagle buttons and what I think is a curb chain!

Anyone with any knowledge of the NY Excelsior button is welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_7855.jpeg
    IMG_7855.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7856.jpeg
    IMG_7856.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7857.jpeg
    IMG_7857.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
NY State Militia. There's a fair amount of websites offering them as Civil War and Post Civil War. Wish I knew more, hopefully some experts will chime in. No shortage of 1870's and forward forts in wyoming. Nice

I can make out “EXTRA” on the back. Can you make out the other word/words?
From what I found, the “SCOVILL”backmarks seem to be the earliest versions.
No I cannot tell what it reads. It does look like EXTRA though!

Those older military buttons are fun finds! Best I get here is military being here during school times….