Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

$1.20

bday

I decided to hit a section of park today that hasn't given much up lately. Like all old parks ( pre 1865) it has been pounded to death for the last 40 years with many machines. I had taken my fair share out of it in the 80's. I've hit this section before with my SE and could only muster a couple of silver dimes out of it. First 3 hits of the day were 2 Barbers and a Washington. A hand full of common wheats and then a merc and a rosie. Last hit was the 1892 O quarter. All silver was 9 inches or deeper execpt the rosie which was 6 inches with a nail under it. Notice the rust on the back side. The 1892 O was almost 12 inches (Lesche's handle was flush with the top of the hole) before I saw the rim. It was laying at a 45 degree angle. It looks like everything was laying under about 6 inches of clay fill. Once I got below that the dirt was nice and black. That 7 inches of rain we got this weekend really helped digging. I scratched the rosie, bot not the second barber. The 1892 must have been lost soon after being minted. It has excellent detail and is quite a bit thicker than the other 2.
Thanks for looking.

super nice finds for a heavily hunted park, that 1892 looks amazing. congrats

Randy

for 40 years, including by you and your SE. Congrats! Contrary to what some would like us to believe, seems the CTX 3030 is capable of pulling DEEP coins from places that have been "pounded to death" by other detectors. Nicely done. All the coins are nice, but that 1892 O is in excellent condition. Tough to tell by the picture, but it might be getting up there beyond the $100 range. Thanks for sharing pics of your hunt. HH Randy

Great finds and good report on the depth of the CTX

Randy,
I started in that park with a Coinmaster IV. Since then I have used a Whites 5000, Whites 6000 series 2, Whites 6000 Series 3, an Explorer Se and now the CTX. I have seen Etrac's, and V3i's there as well. The CTX has been absolutly amazing there. I have been running the standard coin program that has been modified to ferrous coin and combined audio. I use a modified Gonehunting open screen as my check screen. What has helped me tremendoulsy the past month was to set my "silver bin" to really scream. I have it's tone set to 1120 hz. That really seems to help me alot. Probably just a sound that my ears like, but It's what works for me. I've been looking at that 1892 o and comparing it to graded coins on the internet and I believe that it might go as high as EF or Au. It's not missing any detail and is barely discolored.
Oh yeah, rumor has it that the Guv has made a couple appearances in this park in the past.
Thanks for all your kind words. Got my honeydo's done heading back out there.
Thanks,
Bob

Very impressive Bob, it has just been amazing what the CTX has been doing in these old parks that have been "hunted out". Been there, done that............:biggrin:

Congratulations on the finds, especially on that nice Barber...:clapping:

Wow - what a day! Just imagine what's under the rest of that clay fill!!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.
The CTX has been amazing in my soil. I thought I was good with my SE, but I never got to be "one with the machine" however hard I tried. I tried for 4 years. I always felt I was missing something. I had actually went to my local dealer (about an hour and a half away) with intention of purchasing an XP. That was until he whipped this little beauty out. They had been out less than a week and he had one "new in the box". He actually offered to let me take his demo XP and his demo CTX home for the weekend, so I could decide. It took all of about 15 minutes and I haven't looked back since.
Thanks again,
Bob

I wish I had pounded places like that!!!! GJ

Bey

Hey Don,
I was just swinging average. I will normally slow way down once I get the tone I'm looking for. The first 3 quarters really sounded good. The last one, the deep one had a really soft sound to it. The tones didn't break up, just a smooth soft sound. I knew it was deep. Especially since the screen bounced between 11 and 12 inches.
Thanks,
Bob

Bob where r u located? I hunt with pretty much the same set up as you. I set up my "silver bin" at 1050 pitch and set to 40CO and up.

That is an amazing day of detecting. I haven't had a day like this since last Christmas and i'm about ready for another one!