Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1.2V vs 1.5V batteries for a Whites MXT PRO

skyfish

I have an older whites detector and I have used rechargeable 1.2V batteries in the past. Most of the batteries I see now are 1.5V rechargeable lithium. The Whites battery pack takes 8 AA in series. Thats a 2.4V increase. Can I use these instead of the 1.2V without frying my detectors electronics?

Hello. These boards are made to handle 12 Volts which will have the penlight battery holder from White's (8x 1.5V=12V). And depending on the starting voltage of some battery manufacturers 14V will not fry the electronics. These Li-Ion penlights I had in mind myself but they had to less WH (mAh). So I decided to get one of those 18650 holders for White's and use it on all 4 of my White's detectors.
May be this thread will help --> new-v3i-18650-battery-holder-what-u-think
Good Luck & Have Fun

Wow. Just searched on ebuy and found 0 results. Seems these are no more available. Even the seller sn0wboarder is not listed anymore. mmhhh.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Skyfish....... to the best of my knowledge, I don't think there is such a thing as a 1.5V Lithium battery. All Li batteries I know of are 3.7 volts. 3 of them works well for 12 V devices if you have a compatible holder. 1.2 V rechargeables batteries commonly available are Ni-Mh or Nicd.

i think at one time i was told that Whites detectors had a volt regalater in them that controled voltage.
Just about every electronic device has a voltage regulator and resistive current controls.
I would expect nothing less from any metal detector manufacturer.

Skyfish....... to the best of my knowledge, I don't think there is such a thing as a 1.5V Lithium battery. All Li batteries I know of are 3.7 volts. 3 of them works well for 12 V devices if you have a compatible holder. 1.2 V rechargeables batteries commonly available are Ni-Mh or Nicd.
I'm sorry, I have to disagree, Larry.
It's hard to find them on Amazon.com, but here we are at co.uk...:
--> AA Cell 1.5V Li rechargeable by micro-usb

I have an older whites detector and I have used rechargeable 1.2V batteries in the past. Most of the batteries I see now are 1.5V rechargeable lithium. The Whites battery pack takes 8 AA in series. Thats a 2.4V increase. Can I use these instead of the 1.2V without frying my detectors electronics?

Hi Skyfish, I don't know how the older detector handles the voltage difference, but the MXT is extremely responsive.
Many years ago I made a Utube about it. Back then, lithium wasn't that popular.
Good Luck & Have Fun

-->

Maybe I am not seeing this correct, but the MXT my wife has runs on 8 -1.5 volts which is the 12 volts alkaline and is fine. Now you are showing 8 rechargeable in the pack which should be !.2 volts each with 8 of them run 9.6 volts. Yours show only 9 volts when it is turned on, but you run 10 of them in the other pack and it shows 13 volts, now that should read at 15 volts if these are !.5 volts each or if they are 1.2 volts they will read 12 volts.
If these were fresh off the charger, they will read slightly higher and if these had been used for a while they will show lower voltage. my wifes MXT shows 11.2 if I remember right after charging when we do check it it reads around 11 volts.
The one detector I seen people add 8 rechargeable in the 8 pack is the Sovereign as it needs 10 of the 1.2 rechargeable to work correctly as many have tried it seen it works for a while, but lower the time it will run.
Now I also found the Uni-probe if you use a 9 volt rechargeable battery will start chattering almost right away and also the Tesoros went into low battery alert unless they use a higher voltage battery which was too long to put in the battery compartment.
I was always told many detectors have a voltage regulator that will only let so much voltage through, so if it is slightly higher voltage battery it only regulates 12 volts through. It can't make the voltage higher and that then will trigger a low battery alert.

This is the way I have always understood it.

Rick

Maybe I am not seeing this correct, but the MXT my wife has runs on 8 -1.5 volts which is the 12 volts alkaline and is fine. Now you are showing 8 rechargeable in the pack which should be !.2 volts each with 8 of them run 9.6 volts. Yours show only 9 volts when it is turned on, but you run 10 of them in the other pack and it shows 13 volts, now that should read at 15 volts if these are !.5 volts each or if they are 1.2 volts they will read 12 volts.
If these were fresh off the charger, they will read slightly higher and if these had been used for a while they will show lower voltage. my wifes MXT shows 11.2 if I remember right after charging when we do check it it reads around 11 volts.
The one detector I seen people add 8 rechargeable in the 8 pack is the Sovereign as it needs 10 of the 1.2 rechargeable to work correctly as many have tried it seen it works for a while, but lower the time it will run.
Now I also found the Uni-probe if you use a 9 volt rechargeable battery will start chattering almost right away and also the Tesoros went into low battery alert unless they use a higher voltage battery which was too long to put in the battery compartment.
I was always told many detectors have a voltage regulator that will only let so much voltage through, so if it is slightly higher voltage battery it only regulates 12 volts through. It can't make the voltage higher and that then will trigger a low battery alert.

This is the way I have always understood it.

Rick
Hi Rick. It is how it is. Both Ni-Mh packs, fresh from the charger. Not Eneloops that I use now as AA rechargeables which will read 1.5 V fresh charged in my new charger.
And how exact the voltage readout on the MXT is..., I never felt the urge to test it.
Right now I'm using Li-Ion or Li-Po, Eneloop AA's and Mars AAA's for electronic devices.
Oh, except the Ansmann 9 Volts for my CZ-70 Pro which have 8.4 nominal Voltage.
And about the Tesoros, they stated NOT to use rechargeables.

Long time ago I had a conversation like this with an "expert" on the white's forum and all I can say is,
this is my experience and that's how I observed it.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Skyfish asked and I tried to answer.

Have a good day and fun

I'm sorry, I have to disagree, Larry.
It's hard to find them on Amazon.com, but here we are at co.uk...:
--> AA Cell 1.5V Li rechargeable by micro-usb
You don't have to be sorry for disagreeing with me Vito. It doesn't make you right though :) All Li-po batteries are 3.7 V per cell because of the chemical composition, no ifs ands or buts that I know of. You get the 1.5 V output because of a built-in voltage regulator in each battery. A lot of expense for the simplicity. I wouldn't buy stock in the company that makes them.

You don't have to be sorry for disagreeing with me Vito. It doesn't make you right though :) All Li-po batteries are 3.7 V per cell because of the chemical composition, no ifs ands or buts that I know of. You get the 1.5 V output because of a built-in voltage regulator in each battery. A lot of expense for the simplicity. I wouldn't buy stock in the company that makes them.
Did we talk what comes out of the AA (voltage like) or about the chemical composition of the cells? And YOU know I'm right. AND there are NiZn AA rechargeables which wil have 1.6 Volt per cell, chemical. But you'll need a special charger. All a question of bargain. Oh, and to stand you corrected, LiFePo will have 3.2 Volts nominal.;)

You will believe in what you want to vito, doesn't matter to me. My OP was to skyfish anyway. I did not want him to be misled with misinformation. I know my Li-po's, I have close to $2000 in them for my RC planes and another $600 in the charger/maintainer.

You will believe in what you want to vito, doesn't matter to me. My OP was to skyfish anyway. I did not want him to be misled with misinformation. I know my Li-po's, I have close to $2000 in them for my RC planes and another $600 in the charger/maintainer.
What do you fly ?
Love to see some pics.

Oh my........ I have about 30 planes from micro to 1/4 scale. Here are a few. I'm active on rcgroups.com

Attachments

• 20210306_170333.jpg
    20210306_170333.jpg
    826.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Christmas 1.jpg
    Christmas 1.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 71
  • f-86.jpg
    f-86.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
Vito is right but LiFePo is Lifepo4 which is 3.2 nominal voltage and fully charged is 3.6
Larry is right all lipo , and Li ion batteries are 3.7 nominal fully charged is 4.2
So your both are right however there 2 different batteries . PEACE (y) sube

Last edited:
Oh my........ I have about 30 planes from micro to 1/4 scale. Here are a few. I'm active on rcgroups.com
Larry those are Awesome.
I always dreamed of stick building some planes.
Destroyed a few store built. Just couldn't get the hang of it. I can fly a drone though. 😄
Beautiful work on that Cub and Biplane.
Thank You for posting your pride and joy.

The bottom plane is my pride and joy, a stick build 1936 Cleveland Viking. What a sweetie. You got me on the drone piloting, I can't get past the basics with them, just don't have the motor skills I guess.

Attachments

• cleveland.jpg
    cleveland.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64