Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10x12 EXcelorater Search Coil

tippyhound

I recently had a opportunity to try a E-Trac with the 10x12 Excelorater Butterfly Search Coil. This was my first and only experience with this coil. The gentleman had it on another Minelab machine he owned when he ordered his E-Trac and was told it would work with his new machine so the dealer gave him a break on the cost of the new machine minus the 11" stock coil. I didn't have my E-Trac with me so I didn't have a chance to compare things like weight difference between the 10x12 and my stock 11" coil.

He has been very pleased with this coil and so was I as it seemed to ID better and the numbers bounced around less then my stock 11" coil. and reaction time seemed a little better and faster them my 11' stock coil..

Giving some thought to ordering one from Kellyco, but thought I would get some input from other E-Trac owners who have more time in the field with this coil before I make the plunge. My question would be is it worth the extra expense in over all effectiveness to make it worth the price. Is it really more accurate ID and does it have as good or better depth then the stock 11" coil.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Rick IL

I just ordered the coil and it's on its way. I am going to hit some areas that I have detected many times with now diminishing returns but since the history goes back so far and I have found so much there it is worth a second and third look especially with a new coil.

I do not have any experience with the Excelarator coil but can reccomend the Sunray X-12 coil, first target I hit with it was a no date (1830's) Matron Head Large Cent, it was at 8" and on edge but the Sunray gave a nice solid signal. Look at Bryce's reviews of these coils, very helpful.

I run the 10x12 SEF on my E-Trac, and prefer it over the stock Pro Coil. That being said, the performance is not really much different that the Pro Coil. IMO the coverage on the SEF is slightly better and its' a bit more stable, but it's quite a bit heavier than the Pro Coil.

I have had two 10x12s and found them to be slightly inferior to my pro coil.I used one of them for a lot of hours and did some tests on deep silver and found the Pro coil slightly better and much lighter hence better balance .The 10x12 is slightly more stable but not enough to be of much value.If I were looking for a second coil it would be a smaller one than the pro coil for trashy sites or a bigger one for more coverage at those more open areas and beaches.
I sold both 10x12s and got a second Pro coil for backup just in case.......
The 6x8 and 12x15 are great coils and the 6x8 is my favorite coil for those extra trashy sites.I can just hit my 9" silver dime in test garden with the 6x8 and I find that to be impressive.
I have the 15x18 SEF as well but have not used it much yet,just waiting for the right location.
All the SEF coils are superb coils but the Pro coil is in a league all by it's self in my experience.

Thanks everyone for the information. Guess I'll just stay with the Pro coil that came with my machine, from what you folks have to say there just isn't that much to be gained and I sure don't need the extra weight. Thanks to all. Rick IL.

I run the same setup as Ray-Mo and have found the same results to be true. The 10x12 SEF seemed to be more cumbersome to me and wasn't as easy to pinpoint. On the other hand the 6x8 SEF is amazing in trashy areas with fantastic depth.
MHO,
Cal

Well, I got my new 10X12 coil today and had a few minutes to try it out before it got too dark. What better place to try out a new coil than my own backyard. I have hunted it quite a few times before with good results as far as clad, wheats and older kids toys go so I wasn't expecting much different tonight.
I didn't find the coil too heavy but I use the Swingy Thingy which I love since it really does take a lot of the weight off of your arm so I imagine that without it some may notice a difference. The first signal ended up being a modern day dime near the surface. Pinpointing this was easy. I heard another decent signal and attempted recovery but once it got too deep to continue with the digging tool I had and so I abandoned the hole for this evening. I detected slowly across the yard and heard a good but weak signal that made me believe it was probably a wheat cent. I started digging and digging and attempting to pinpoint the target both with the coil (which continuously said that it was in the middle of the hole) and my pinpointer. In the end 8 1/2 inches down right below my pinpointed location I saw the tell tale curve of a coin. The coin was lost from view for a few seconds as I tried to pull the dirt out with my hand in the off chance this was actually a decent coin. Once recovered it was without a doubt a large cent of some sort. This cent ended up being a King George II Farthing. I can't read the date but these were minted 1746- 1754. Amazing, a 261 year old coin in my fifty year old house.
Did I find this because of the coil? Perhaps, but I didn't switch the coils before recovery to find out if there was any difference between the signals. But so far I am very, very pleased with it.

I like my 10x12 sef coil. It's more stable than my Pro coil. It id's better and goes a little deeper. The only drawback is its weight. It's noticeably heavier than the Pro coil. You really feel it in your arm after several hours. However I enjoy hunting with both coils and wouldn't consider selling either.

Congrats! You can't argue with those results.

I tried out my 8x6 SEF coil today for the first time and found a 1926 wheat cent at about 8 inches. My oldest wheat cent so far. Also found 3 old buttons at various depths.

It's light enough to swing all day and I'm getting good depth. I think I'll keep it. :eek:)

The 6x8 10x12 12x18 are all good deep coils the pro is a lot liter.:thumbup: