Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15" WOT Coil Spliced onto Minelab Excal 1000 w/ WaterProof Connectors "DIY"

mtpockets

Here are a few Pictures of how I added a WOT coil to

**Treasure_Hunters** Minelab Excalibur 1000.

Basically, I determined the length of the cable that was needed on both ends..

Coil end & Control Pod end...

I removed "Cut" the existing connector that was on the WOT coil..

I then removed just enough of the cable casing in order to fit the wires into the
screw terminals, Without having too much of the casing removed. I had to use small needle nose pliers to grab the wire, bend and insert them into the terminals..

I applied a small amount of RTV Silicone Gasket Sealant to the Cable jacket where the wires came from and to the wires on the terminals. Just as an added precaution.

I would have used a rubber heatshrink tubing to completely cover the terminals and the wires. But I didn't think that it was necessary.. Just because of how snug the neoprene cable glands and grommets were to begin with.. along with all of the O-Rings that make up the Connectors.

I also added the Cable Strain Relief ends to both sides of the connectors..

Here are a few pictures of what I did...
I hope that this may help those who are trying to do the same thing for themselves..

These connectors are IP68 rated.

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/documents/PowerBuccMailer-2008-200dpi.pdf

Bulgin makes the Connectors... This one is rated for 30'+ it's called the Mini Buccanneer...

They also carry an inline connector that is rated to 300' deep for 2 weeks... it's called The "Standard" Buccanner...

it is a bit larger than the one that I posted..

I got them from www.alliedElec.com

Thanks for the great post. Just to know that someone else has done it and it works makes it a lot easier to cut those wires.:clapping:

I totally understand where your coming from....

I have another buddy who had the Glass tube style in-line connector on it.. the one the Doc sells.. and He's had many issues with it leaking..

I'm not bashing it by any means.. but it leaked many times...

I was going to put this new Connector on for him.... But he had to ship his machine to minelab for service.. and he asked Minelab if they would hard-wire his coil for him...

And they Did......

I've been hearing reports from several different forums about Minelab "No Longer" hard-wiring other Coils to the Excals.... But They just did his...

If they didn't I was going to install this connector for him..

They work great and very easy to install. I only installed the rubber glad hand style fitting and left out the plastic piece that grabs the outer cable with the plastic barbs because it will cut through outer cable with only minimum pressure applied to nut, and with the rubber piece only installed it connects quite firm and tightly and nothing moves and it seals water tight. It did for me anyway.