Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

17" coil

SE-5

Too new with the CTX to get one, but for those that use it, does it really go deep?

I do want the 6" coil for some wooded property hunting, 17 acres of it. Had a few cabins from the later 1800s on it, should be interesting. :twodetecting:

I dont have expereience with the 17 but I've had a 6 for a few months.
As Hershey1 stated the stock coil aint bad. But I find I leave the 6 on most of the time now. The areas I hunt have relatively shallow trash and I've bagged some nice keepers in the 5-6 inch depth range in heavy heavy trash.
Ive used it in the woods with no problems even though its and open spoke coil as the stock is.
You will be surprised at how small it seems when you actually install it. It doesnt affect the balance of the machine either.
Due to the smaller coverage area I have recovered fewer targets per hunt but overall my 'kill' ratio has gone up with more keepers. There are plenty of goodies still lurking in those trash fields.

thanks, I hope this helps.

Are there any videos showing the use of these coils? I am debating on which coil to get. I hunt fields as well as trashy parks. I would like to know what coil would make the most sense to get. Is the stock coil just as good as the smaller coil at weeding out good items of within trash? Does the larger coil really cover much more ground then stock? And how well does it find items in trashy areas?

Thanks guys
Rocco

I am new to the CTX and have only had the stock coil out 6 times and the 17" out twice, so I am no expert - but I find

the stock coil works great everywhere.

the good things about the 17" - it goes about 2 inches deeper, and covers twice the ground than the stock ( great for big low trash areas ).

the bad things about the 17" - it wears out my arm quicker, and it is harder to pinpoint with - the stock coil has a pinpoint hot spot right in the center so I just move the coil left and right, then for and aft, and your over the target in seconds. To me it seems like the 17" has three hot spots down the center line ( one at about each cross brace ). So to pinpoint I swing the coil left and right - but don't know if the upper, middle, or lower hot spot is sounding off - so to find out I draw a center line, then walk around 90 degrees, swing the coil left and right, draw a center line, and dig at the X.

this is in the wet or dry sand - seems to me the 17" would be hard to use under water in the surf.

I have used both coils and I can second billwatson's opinion on the large coil. In addition to the issues he complains about, I can add less accurate depth measurements. The 6in coil gives fairly accurate depth assessments of coin sized targets. The 17in is all over the map in soil. It usually gives depths which are much deeper than actual in my experiance. This is a huge problem for me since a lot of the decision to dig or not dig is based on depth. I would only recommend 17in coil for large low trash fields were most nonferrous targets will be dug. The large coil will detect targets slightly deeper than stock coil and give good stable TID info.

Thanks for the info. If it's only an inch or two deeper, then the price is not worth it, at this point. The 6" is a must for me, but the 17 would just be a "nice to have" for my trips to Indiana hunting large pastures.

I use the 17" for fields to get large coverage. I just don't have the patience for the stock coil. I find it stable, spot on for pinpointing, and good for depth. But note, depth is also dependent on the size of the object: a large deeper target will read as shallower, and a small shallow target may read deeper. In fields with thick grass, I am confident in its ability to find relics and large coppers. I suspect small silvers might be missed, but nothing besides a low-cut mowing will solve that. The CTX is still well balanced with the larger coil. The time I get fatigued is dragging it through thick grass/hay. I haven't used my stock coil in over 2 mths!

Only used mine at the beach. Works great there a lot more ground coverage going to say about 2" deeper than stock on a Quarter. The coverage is the big deal if you are hunting non trashy areas like the beach I hunt you will dig a lot more targets. If you are looking for a lot more depth you will likely not be happy. Have the six inch too good coil but was not really impressed on separation in heavy iron not much better than the stock coil. Have a Deus that does much better with stock coil in heavy iron than the CTX with 6" coil. Just my thoughts.

Jason