Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1837 Token - Have You Ever Found One Of These ?

E-Trac-Ohio

My main reason for this post is that I'm curious to see if many of you have found one of these Tokens ?

By chance, I found two of these 1837 President Martin Van Buren - "hard times" Tokens - (about the same size as a Large Cent).
I found them on two different sites that are approx. 30 miles apart - both were found within a few weeks of each other.

(Historical Info. If You Care To Read It ) In 1832, President Andrew Jackson ran for re-election and called for the abolition of the Second Bank of the United States. While he won the election, he worked to weaken the bank before the charter expired in 1836. Without the Bank of the United States, state banks attempted to fill the paper money gap and issued a large number of bank notes, which fueled inflation. Hoping to halt the inflation and speculation in public lands, Jackson and his Treasury secretary, Levi Woodbury, issued the Specie Circular on July 11, 1836. The circular simply stated that as of August 15 1836, banks and others who received public money were required to accept only gold and silver coins in payment for public lands.

Instead of the intended results, the circular spelled the end of a time of economic prosperity. The circular set into motion a panic, and the public began hoarding specie. Without specie to pay out, banks and merchants began having financial troubles. It wasn't too long before the effects of Jackson's decision were felt across the nation as banks and businesses failed, and a depression ensued.

By this time, Jackson's vice president, Martin Van Buren, was the elected president in office. The period of economic hardship, the Panic of 1837, during Van Buren's presidency came to be known as the "Hard Times".

Good Hunting !

Attachments

• ZZZ - 1837 - A.jpg
    ZZZ - 1837 - A.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ZZZ - 1837 - B.jpg
    ZZZ - 1837 - B.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 138
  • ZZZ - MAH - Finds - 3-24-13 - 1837 Token - A.JPG
    ZZZ - MAH - Finds - 3-24-13 - 1837 Token - A.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 134
  • ZZZ - MAH - Finds - 3-24-13 - 1837 Token - B.JPG
    ZZZ - MAH - Finds - 3-24-13 - 1837 Token - B.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 122
ETO,

Just went through my records. I have found at least one hard times token. Like you it sparked my interest and I did some research. Yoeman's Red book has a section on them with many photos; lots of varieties.

Chris

No I have never found one cool find I've seen I believe Jeff from plug master Ford find one..
Mark