Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1858 Jefferson Davis "Hardee Hat" Eagle Pin

bigfootokie

This is probably one of the most significant, and most likely, a once in a lifetime Relic find for me. It's in amazing condition considering it's been in the ground for around 156 years and I may never top this because it is a Hat Pin that was issued to Enlisted Men only, who were required to wear it as a part of their Dress Uniform. It was used to decorate and pin the side brim of their Felt Hat upright to the side of the main body of the hat as you will see in the pics below.

Also, I recovered many nice CW era bullets, 3 Eagle Buttons (one Great Coat Button which is pre Civil War), the frame of a pocket watch with winding key, a big carved lead square nail which was made as a prank by bored soldiers who tossed it into the nail bucket for the builders to try to use, and a few deteriorated bullet casings.

What a GREAT Day we had...the hunting was intense, my friends were there sharing the experience, and the finds were special and numerous.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tailgate shot of my pile.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm so happy for you. Definitely once In a lifetime.:thumbup: It is -50 degrees here in Wisconsin today and I am having detector with drawls.

IBdiggin said:
I'm so happy for you. Definitely once In a lifetime.:thumbup: It is -50 degrees here in Wisconsin today and I am having detector with drawls.

Thank You!!! It was +50 degrees Saturday when we hunted and it was +5 this morning when I got up. I understand about the withdrawels and I hope your weather gets better soon.

That hat pin is one of the best finds I have ever seen, you are most fortunate........nice save! Have any estimate of its' value? I would guess that it is rather rare. I commend you on a great hunt. If I were you, I would be pounding the socks off of that area!!

Roland58 said:
That hat pin is one of the best finds I have ever seen, you are most fortunate........nice save! Have any estimate of its' value? I would guess that it is rather rare. I commend you on a great hunt. If I were you, I would be pounding the socks off of that area!!

Thanks Roland, yes it's a rare find...especially in this condition. Most are found damaged or broken due to the their thin construction. I was lucky that this spot had never been cultivated and the soil was apparently easy on metals. You can bet your Butt I will be pounding it this weekend. No telling what else is there. :)

I have seen them at around $100, but it's priceless to me.

Good for you, bigfoot! There are some things that are worth more than money, for sure! Your comment says a lot about your character!!

Wow ... now that's what I call finding a real nice piece of history - congrats ! :clapping:

Those are some beautiful finds BFO, congratulations.

Great finds! We don't get stuff that old out here on the left coast. Congrats! :clapping:

WOW! That is really a great find!:drool: Nice work on getting it out without damage..:clapping:.
Mud

I appreciate the great replies from everyone. :clapping: It WAS a special hunt with many nice recoveries for me.

That is a great find

That one is on the top my bucket list along with a belt plate..........Congratz!!!