Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1861 CAMP #3

DWild

High hopes for this one.

Camp #2 is put off do to crops coming on. Still think it could pay off but we need to check different locations on the farm to pinpoint what we are looking for.

Just got permission on camp #3. Everything matches what the diary says. Distance from towns mentioned is correct and the old plat map matches owner's name to the camp name. Also the ground and water source seem picture perfect. Now here's the interesting part. The owner did not know any history on a camp but said his father had told him there was a skirmish back in the civil war days across the road from the piece we think was the camp. He showed me right where this supposedly occurred and said he owned that property too and we can check it out.

Hearing of a possible skirmish right across from a site we have researched to be a camp has got to indicate we are in the right place. Our diary makes no mention of a skirmish so we believe it happened sometime before our diary writers arrived. Our writers were Calvary and they said there was 2 companies of Infantry already camped there when they arrived August 27, 1861. They mentioned that they were sworn to 6 months of service at this camp.

We hope this was a recruiting area that had been around awhile.

We will be swinging coils all weekend to see what shows up.

THIS CIVIL WAR CAMP STUFF IS GETTING UNBELIEVABLE. It was my partners turn today in a big way. He found an 1853 DOUBLE EAGLE. It's was bent and had some marks from farm equipment but who cares.

We hunted the skirmish site today that is across from where we believe the camp was. (See original post at top) It just got planted so we needed to check it out first before we are shut out for the growing season. The suspected camp is pasture and a bit tall. Landowner is going to gives us a call when it's been cut.

I found some ball shot, dropped lead, small buckle, harness rivets and other items I have not identified. Most of the ball shot looks to be fired. Some are really deformed. This would back up the skirmish info.

I would strongly suggest to anyone interested in finding gold coins to find some civil war diaries that have referrals to 1861 or early 1862 camps. Try to match the camp name on old plat maps to landowners and then to the present day owner. We have been referring to 1877 plat maps. That's the oldest we have been able to find for our area. There is a good chance the land didn't change hands even in that time span.

Our area may be a bit unique as I mentioned in other posts. The Missouri State Guard started to form in May of 1861 to protect Missouri from Union take over and many of it's member were lawyers, doctors, business owners and farmers. They saw the Union as the bully and sympothised with the south. I believe many had money at this early time.

We have been up front with the landowners about what we are looking for and show them everything we find. We tell them we will give them a report with photos, gps info etc for them to have. In every case the owners are really interested in the old plat maps so we make them nice copies of those to have also. So far all have been very supportive and have given us insider info as well as other ideas of places to go, who to talk to and sometimes make a call for us to get us in. There will always be those that say no but so far it's worked for us.

We will be back swinging in the morning.

That is incredible. A find of a lifetime for sure. Thanks for the research tips, you guys certainly have paid your dues in getting to the site.

WOW awesome and congratulations to you and your partner! Thanks so much for the pics and stories.....so cool that stuff like this is still buried out there....true history....

good luck and i hope you two find more cool things....

i cant imagine what that must have been like to lose such a thing as a $20 coin back in those days.....that would be like me throwing $1000 out the window today???

On Sunday we found more ball shot, an 1848 large cent, two Union Infantry buttons with the I in the shield, possible J hook and some other odd items. (See "POSSIBLE CARVED GAME PIECE" on Civil War Forum). I will try to get some pictures together to post. Stuff is coming faster than I can keep up.

I will attach a photo of a few of the items.

Awesome Dwild,

Happy for you guys. :clapping:

Rich (Utah)

Tell your buddy congratulations! Stay on this pony 'til the rides over. You've got an excellent spot/area for sure! Glad to hear you guys and the landowner are on great terms!

NebTrac