Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1882 cc Morgan Dollar!

flysar

I've been dabbling in metal detecting since 1973 and got serious about it in 2013, a few years after I retired, when I unboxed my 73 Garrett Ghostowner.
I'm lucky to find 8 silvers a year but I think that's because I hunt mostly parks and schools that have been hit many times by others.
Last Saturday I had the opportunity to search a Queen Anne style 1910 home and jumped at the chance knowing I'd find some old coins... Nope, not until I crawled under the front porch.
On my very last swing, up against the foundation, I got a sweet high tone and 12-47. As I dug the plug I was thinking quarter and hoped it was Silver. When I turned the plug over there was a Big Silver coin. Wow, a 1882 cc Morgan Dollar, oldest coin and biggest silver to date.
As found & after about 1 hr of baking soda cleaning:

flysar said:
I've been dabbling in metal detecting since 1973 and got serious about it in 2013, a few years after I retired, when I unboxed my 73 Garrett Ghostowner.
I'm lucky to find 8 silvers a year but I think that's because I hunt mostly parks and schools that have been hit many times by others.
Last Saturday I had the opportunity to search a Queen Anne style 1910 home and jumped at the chance knowing I'd find some old coins... Nope, not until I crawled under the front porch.
On my very last swing, up against the foundation, I got a sweet high tone and 12-47. As I dug the plug I was thinking quarter and hoped it was Silver. When I turned the plug over there was a Big Silver coin. Wow, a 1882 cc Morgan Dollar, oldest coin and biggest silver to date.
As found & after about 1 hr of baking soda cleaning:

Awesome find Flysar!! Can't stop looking at this beauty!!

Nice cleaning job before the pics??? Almost looks like it spent the last 135 years above ground. Shame I cant weather tjat well.

Congrats on the Morgan. That is on my bucket list. never found a Silver dollar of any kind yet. Have 3 varieties of 1/2 dollars but no Dollars. Great find.

Congrats on a very rare find ! :clapping: