Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1898-S Barber

ducktrapper

Research had pointed me toward a couple smaller sites for Saturday, but those quickly turned sour. They turned out to be either devoid of all signals, or else trashy surface areas where a repeatable signal of any type was rare. Manual +3 readings of 15-18 indicated I wasn’t going to get deep signals and any signal over 3 inches (even the junk) was rare. At times like these, I start wondering if the coil or detector is broken or if I have lost my touch.

Nothing cures that like a return to a favorite old site that has produced in the past, with nice soil that you know will let you find 8 and 9 inch deep coins. Not that there are many signals left, but it is a good park to get your confidence back. Sure enough, about 15 minutes into it, a solid 12-46/47 that pinpoints tight, repeatable from multiple directions, 8 inches down. Those slam dunks have been rare for me in the last year. Digging deep produced a ball of dirt with a beautiful silver rim. Gently patting with water revealed an 1898 in excellent condition. It ended up being my only keeper of the day, an awful day in other respects as even my clad total was tiny. Amazing how a 6 hour hunt can be turned around that quickly with just one find.

I did not notice the S mintmark until I got home. Crazy-low mintage for this one, but like many of the Barber dimes, it does not translate into a huge value. It still is arguably my most valuable coin find.

Congrats ... it was a Barber kind of day for several people today

[size=x-large]SWEETT[/size]

Super looking shape Barber! Congratulations on the hard hunting reward! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

Nice Barber !