Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1942 mercury dime

az46

I found a 1942 MERC and it was found in a park that i believe was built in the early 70,s.The way I figure it that it was just dropped maybe a couple of years ago and it was only 2" deep,and that it was maybe someone had it didnt know it was silver or just didnt pay any attention to it?Has anyone had this happen to them?

Many/most cities will re-use dirt for landscaping that they've removed from other areas.
That's one way older coins can end up in newer parks.

I've thought about trying to get access to the fill dirt to hunt it, but no one in my city is interested in allowing it. :(

Congrats on the Merc .... it's one of my favorite designs.
:)
mike

I always think that some young boy stole it out of grandmas jewelry box and then promptly lost it while playing in the park.

I found a 1942 MERC and it was found in a park that i believe was built in the early 70,s.The way I figure it that it was just dropped maybe a couple of years ago and it was only 2" deep,and that it was maybe someone had it didnt know it was silver or just didnt pay any attention to it?Has anyone had this happen to them?
The 40's to the 70's is only 30 years, not much of a stretch for lost pocket change. As far as being silver, most silver in the 70's was just that. A silver coin in the 70's would not have raised an eyebrow. They were common-place. Not some of the crap I find now that dry-rots in the ground. I found a coin purse lately from the 90's and 75% of the coins in the purse had dissolved!

It's hard to determine when it was lost.
I have had similar experiences myself as I'm sure others have too.
One day while searching around an abandoned house that I have been to many times, I got a signal and when I bent down to dig, I saw a silver dime laying right on top of the grass!!
This was only about 8- 10 years ago when I found this coin, and I am certain it was lost within days of me finding it.
One day I found a silver dime laying on the floor at Advance Auto Parts and this was not that long ago either!!
You never know where they will turn up at!!
The main thing is you found it!!!:clap:

Had it happen twice. Both times near the baseball diamond in modern park. Both times, they were Mercs. I agree with the theory of dirt being brought in from elsewhere but have also considered kids raiding dad's coin collection for the snack bar.

It has happened to me a lot, both on land and in the water. I thinks it's kids most often. I know a guy that works at a convenience store and he gets silver coins frequently. He says mostly from kids and young adults who either don't know or don't care. I've gotten a few war nickels in change I received in the past.

Many/most cities will re-use dirt for landscaping that they've removed from other areas.
That's one way older coins can end up in newer parks.

I've thought about trying to get access to the fill dirt to hunt it, but no one in my city is interested in allowing it. :(

Congrats on the Merc .... it's one of my favorite designs.
:)
mike
In St, Louis, MO & Counties--they would clean the ponds & pile the MUD (dangerous & sticky , GUMBO) & then let it dry & use it to fill in where needed--OLDER Parks would move very old coins, jewelery & OLD, OLD bottles that way to different ponds & areas--Actually nice for MD'ERS to be able to have the deeper stuff moved to the surface! Ma

Some of the depth could be the result of the clay layer too (if you all have clay). County park that I found my very first silver (‘36 Merc) was only 3” down. Went back a couple weeks later and a 44 quarter and a 45 Merc right at 2” down. No fill dirt, just where the clay level was closer to the surface was all.

Thank u guy's for all your input.I'm going to the same park in the morning,gonna try another area,It's kind of a large park,I would say about 20 acres or so.I'll let u all know what I find.

It's gonna be a chance of rain around 9 am,so got to get their early.🌂

Some of the depth could be the result of the clay layer too (if you all have clay). County park that I found my very first silver (‘36 Merc) was only 3” down. Went back a couple weeks later and a 44 quarter and a 45 Merc right at 2” down. No fill dirt, just where the clay level was closer to the surface was all.
I agree with this too.... I found a 1940’s quarter in an old school field last year.... only silver I have ever found there and it was barely 2” down.
My thought is it was lost many years later or was lost long ago and simply was missed.... I’m thinking more the latter to be true based on type of soil it was... lots of clay.

Many municipalities move dirt around from different locations.

It's hard to determine when it was lost.
I have had similar experiences myself as I'm sure others have too.
One day while searching around an abandoned house that I have been to many times, I got a signal and when I bent down to dig, I saw a silver dime laying right on top of the grass!!
This was only about 8- 10 years ago when I found this coin, and I am certain it was lost within days of me finding it.
One day I found a silver dime laying on the floor at Advance Auto Parts and this was not that long ago either!!
You never know where they will turn up at!!
The main thing is you found it!!!:clap:
By the way....that silver dime on the auto parts floor doesn’t count 😁😁🤭

I went yesterday and only found a few clad's and some trash.Still had fun and enjoyed the weather.

Stay safe everyone

By the way....that silver dime on the auto parts floor doesn’t count 😁😁🤭
To az46--Posted on wrong one --Apparently another MD'er lost it while detecting & then you found it while detecting! I've had this happen to me of finding coins just lost by treasure hunters & I've lost coins & even left behind digging tools, pouches & etc when laying them down while getting ready to leave & forgot to get them & left! I was tired & forgetful too many times! I found an older silver quarter just under the grass by a tree in a park & another time I found a small squeeze purse filled with silver coins--mostly dimes but can't remember how many but no jewelry, as the one losing it while detecting if any jewelry found didn't put in puse--I believe it was a Flint Stone purse but was too long ago! Gee-- I loved to hunt but too much because I should have spent more time with loving Jesus in prayer & studying His Word instead & I have suffered for it! :cry: Ma