Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1945 S nickel error coin?

Aarong81

Can anyone tell if this is an error coin and if so what the error is called? It appears to be flaking or de-laminating. Near the edge where it is pushed back it continues underneath this 'peel' but it is really hard to get a picture showing that. And it is dirty and this crevice is full of crud. The letter U in TRUST is elevated slightly as if it has a space under it raising it up. This raised layer continues to near Jeffersons forehead where it resurfaces and shows a slight tear or flap. If its an error coin I don't want to do any collectable damage by cleaning it but obviously it is already average circulated. I'm just curious if it should have its own flip or be separated from the scrap silver pile. Thanks!

PS: I posted here because I don't have any coin collector forums to post in and most the folks here know their coins anyway.

Its called lamination and is considered an error. I just checked ebays sold items with the words "jefferson lamination" and in its current condition this coin would probably have little or no premium value over its silver content.

I guess it is a war nickel and the silver content leaches out into a tar type substance, some peal like that, may be caused by oxidation. Well that's how some of the ones that I've dug look like or quickly turn into, more have thr tar than peal.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1942-1945-Silver-War-Nickel-Value.html

thanks guys! Just curious, I thought it didn't look like it was just a damage to the coin. It seems really common.

I would say the coin is damaged by the environment if it wss recovered from the ground.

My guess is that after a coin has been in the ground for decades the metal underneath the polished surface finds weak spots to leach out pushing the polished surface up. Now most of us in the west have recovered silver from the ground looking shiny and smooth, and then right before our eyes it turns black with a ruff surface. That's said to be silver oxidation related to minerals in the soil.

I've also been told that coins lost in fertilized turf will tend to be more corroded when recovered.