Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1950's School Yard Shocker

JimmyCT

I have hunted this 1950's grammar school many, many times over the years as well as every person that has owned a detector. The most I have ever found in all the years were wheaties and not one piece of silver....that is until the other evening. This was definitely a shocker as I never envision a SLQ coming out of this place. I couldn't even muster a Rosey dime lol

The signal was a bit of a difficult one and didn't present itself in tone or ID correctly. Performing little wiggles right over the target I could hear the tone trying to climb. (This is precisely why I utilize 50 tones on the Equinox.) If someone isn't using 50 tones, you are not going to hear or experience this. Glancing at the numerical readout, TID was 24 and sometimes flickering 25 but that was it.

Thanks to fwcrawford, he identified it as a Type II Standing Liberty Quarter produced from 1917-1924

These quarters are very elusive!! This is the 2nd one I have ever found.

Equinox 800 Settings:
Park1 - Multi
GB - 0
"all-metal"
sensitivity - 23
50 tones
Iron Bias - 0
Recovery speed - 4
very slow sweep speed

Attachments

• IMG_2030 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2030 - Copy.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2033 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2033 - Copy.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2034 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2034 - Copy.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2035 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2035 - Copy.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2038 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2038 - Copy.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2085 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2085 - Copy.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 129
I have hunted this 1950's grammar school many, many times over the years as well as every person that has owned a detector. The most I have ever found in all the years were wheaties and not one piece of silver....that is until the other evening. This was definitely a shocker as I never envision a SLQ coming out of this place. I couldn't even muster a Rosey dime lol

The signal was a bit of a difficult one and didn't present itself in tone or ID correctly. Performing little wiggles right over the target I could hear the tone trying to climb. (This is precisely why I utilize 50 tones on the Equinox.) If someone isn't using 50 tones, you are not going to hear or experience this. Glancing at the numerical readout, TID was 24 and sometimes flickering 25 but that was it.

Thanks to fwcrawford, he identified it as a Type II Standing Liberty Quarter produced from 1917-1924

These quarters are very elusive!! This is the 2nd one I have ever found.

Equinox 800 Settings:
Park1 - Multi
GB - 0
"all-metal"
sensitivity - 23
50 tones
Iron Bias - 0
Recovery speed - 4
very slow sweep speed
Your story of the school yard is the PERFECT examples of the 3 rules of metal detecting my friend told me.

1. Targets are missed by 1-inch
2. Targets are ignored
3. You can never get them all.

Good Job..!

I have noticed the same thing while swinging back and forth just over the target... the climbing my numbers.
Having used the Sovereign, getting used to all the tones was quite confusing for a while, but after got an understanding of its language, the goodies started coming up that had been elusive over the years to other detectors.
Getting used to the 50 tones of the Equinox was much easier in my opinion.
Started using 50 tones right out of the box and have not even tried any of the other tone options.

Very Nice Find.
Having read much on the NOX and view many test video's I have come to some opinions.
  1. in Multi the deeper the coin the lower the ID number for silver. (so some silver targets might be passed up do to low ID#)
  2. The latest update added 4 kHz - Video testing has shown in 4 Khz on deep silver the ID'd number was Higher or more normal then in Multi mode.
  3. 4 kHz has provided a stronger 2 way hit on deeper silver in 12" deep test gardens.
You might want to experiment in 4 kHz in that school yard - I would be interested in your results.

Thanks Ted. I have no idea if it was on an angle. In the second big scoop of dirt,I pulled out, the coin was in the pile. Coin was only 3-4" deep.

After pulling the coin out, I stuck the pinpointer back in the hole. The pinpointer was still indicating there were targets but they were in multiple locations. I dug out more dirt and to make sure I wasn't leaving anything behind. The pinpointer still indicated multiple targets. I dug more dirt out and the pinpointer was still indicating multiple targets. I finally grabbed my Equinox and scanned over the area and just heard multiple iron grunts. At this point, I was satisfied I wasn't leaving any non-ferrous targets behind.

Congrats! Was it on edge?

CR,
Thank you.
I have used 4khz and going to refrain from speaking on it at this point. I may post on this subject at a later date.
This target was no deeper then 4". To me this is a shallow coin and the machine should of had no problem id'ing correctly at this depth. I now know there was iron influence in the hole that altered the response of this coin.

Very Nice Find.
Having read much on the NOX and view many test video's I have come to some opinions.
  1. in Multi the deeper the coin the lower the ID number for silver. (so some silver targets might be passed up do to low ID#)
  2. The latest update added 4 kHz - Video testing has shown in 4 Khz on deep silver the ID'd number was Higher or more normal then in Multi mode.
  3. 4 kHz has provided a stronger 2 way hit on deeper silver in 12" deep test gardens.
You might want to experiment in 4 kHz in that school yard - I would be interested in your results.

30C60543-97E2-49F1-96F4-64EB366649EA.jpeg
Terrific finds I hit a college yard last summer and within one hour I had two SLQ’s and my first Barber half one SLQ is a beautiful 1917 looks like it was dropped the day it was minted one of my most memorable finds in XF condition one of my favorite coins!
Mark

Last edited:
It's 95% location. Sweeping the coil over the target with short sweeps can also result in making a bad target sound good.
I totally agree... My wife is a beginner so I gotta cut her some slack... BUT.. She will continue to very slowly sweep a 18" area forever... and convince its herself it's a good target. It has not paid off for her yet.
I just have to watch in pain and not say a word. That's Love...💖💕

I have found probably 6-7 in the last few years. They for some reason never hit as solid as a Washington. It is always a diggable signal but not a consistent ID. I think my heart skips a beat when I see one of these come out of the ground.