Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3030 qestions for ya.

utahshovelhead

Ive been reading up on the past posts and I have a few questions about the 3030 that im not finding. Is it possible to discriminate by depth? As in, can I discriminate out signals for shallow targets? LOL , I know Im dreaming.

Also, I really like my Grey Ghost head phones but after reading all the posts about the Mono jack and Stereo jack problem it the Mono jack still the best solution or has another way come up to mod the jack on the Grey Ghost without having two jacks in a row. ( just that I know it starts to get twisty and wiggle and loose some performance over time) been there done that.

One last thing. on the connection between lower rod and mid rod. I see that the junction can wear and needs cleaned frequently. Is there another answer out there that will minimize the movement wear?

Any responses would be appreciated.

This forum rocks!!!!

If you want to disc by depth, then look at the depth readout on the screen and decide whether or not to dig.

I don't recommend cutting up a speaker plug to try to cobble a fix. If the adapter isn't to your liking you can always get the wireless adapter.

I have ZERO wear on my lower rod, and I'm still confused how it happens to others.

You can not discriminate by depth, it was mentioned in the wishlist for future software updates

I have been using the radio shack adapter hard for two years without any connection problems. It only costs about three dollars so I am not worried about it wearing out.

I eliminated 50% of the wear on my lower rod by not snapping it into the locked position after I am done hunting. Folks that are beach hunters seemed to have this problem more often possibly due to sand and grit getting in there.

You answered your own first question, but not digging shallow targets may cost you some very nice finds depending on where/how you hunt. I know of many seated coins found just under the surface not to mention the gold jewelry. Just don't dig shallow targets and your depth concern is solved.....:shrug:

The second question is well documented and there are many alternative solutions from using Grey Ghosts made for the CTX to adaptors to a jump wire in the headphone adaptor.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2051472

I have had the CTX since day 1 and have never cleaned or lubricated the shaft and I have no wear whatsoever. It seems the extra drag and stress of water hunting may be a factor for some.

The problem with discriminating by depth is the machine isn't going to be able to discern if you have a dime at 4" or a 3c peice at 1". It looks the same to the machine because it uses coin sized objects to gauge depth. For instance a beer can at 2" might look like a quarter at 5". The only way to somewhat gauge the objects size and depth is to use pinpoint sizing and your depth gauge in conjunction with lifting the coil off the ground and listening for the signal to die off. If you get an inch off the ground and your signal dies off, it's most likely not a giant can etc. Also listen closely to your pinpoint sound. A very tight and high pitched squeel would indicate a small object near the surface as opposed to a broad lower pitch which might indicate a deeper larger object.

Larry I haven't noticed any wear problems on mine either, but since others had mentioned it I stopped snapping back to the locked position after detecting... I do notice if you extend the rod to near the absolute limit it will get difficult to snap the lock closed so I always retract it a little bit where it is much easier to. I wonder if others are still routinely closing it at the very end of the rod like that. With the force that is required to close it near that point something has to be giving in.

I agree with you Gary, I could use the extra 1/2 inch full extension (I'm 6'4") but I put it back in a little to clamp.