Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

4X 6 Coil For Old Home Sights

Blind Squirrel

Hi Everybody--

I'm using the V3i with a modified Coin & Jewelery Program.

The majority of the detecting that I do is at vacant lots that were once home sights. After a lot of experimentation with the full range of White's coils I have come to the conclusion that the 4X6 Shooter is the best for the type of detecting that I do in my area. Due to the fact that these sights have an abundance of trash, I believe that the narrow coil offers the best target separation and therefore the most effective depth. But hey...every body has their own opinion and that's mine. hahahah.

Here are some of my finds from Tuesday's hunt.

The 1944 Walking Liberty Half was directly beneath a silver plated fork. When I went into the pinpoint mode and traced the target, I was expecting to dig either a piece of copper pipe or perhaps a garden hose nozzle. It was a pleasant surprise to see the Half and the fork.
Earlier in the hunt, I dug a few old pocket watch parts and I thought that there MAY be a watch-fob at this sight. I was right! It's a Sigel-Campion Live Stock Commission Co. of Denver Colo. fob. I also dug 14 Wheat-Cents and 2 earrings that wont scan very well.

Thanks for looking and...Happy Hunting
Blind Squirrel

I agree completely I use the 10 dd coil at schools and the 9.5 at the beach and the 4x6 if the area is trashy and the 12" coil in the woods(I also use the 10" for this if it's a small woodlot).Try everything don't let someone else make your mind up for you.The more time you spend swinging the more you will learn your machine.Ken

All nice finds, but I like those old thimbles. It looks like silver......?

We are on the same page Ken. Each type of hunting requires either a different strategy or a different tool i.e. coil. The first time that I tried the V3i at one of my tried and true relic sights, I was using the 10" coil and I dug this "A" cuff button at a solid 10 inches. I must have walked over it 20 times in the last 10 years swinging my DFX. The V3i made a believer out of me. Now it's a question of learning what adjustments to make to achieve maximum performance at some of the challenging sights that I hunt. It might take me 5 years to tame the beast - but I will! hahahha

Thanks for the reply and...Happy Hunting
Blind Squirrel

The 4x6 is a must have for the arsenal... I would suggest that you purchase a 5.3. It has absolutely amazing depth, and great separation.

burlbark said:
The 4x6 is a must have for the arsenal... I would suggest that you purchase a 5.3. It has absolutely amazing depth, and great separation.

This makes me feel good about buying a used V3 what came with unused 4X6 and 5.3 coils and poles!! I honestly fell into the deal by accident but sure happy I did!!! :twodetecting:

Thanks Jerry Lawhead, you sold me a winner and I highly recommend him as a seller. :clap::please::clap:

The Shark

Tex,

I just got my package late this past Saturday. I have only used it 5x with the stock 10" DD. I am away from home all week and take the V3 with me to use evenings while away from home. Unfortunately I did not bring the 4X6 or the 5.3 with me on the road this week. I assure you, after reading this message thread I WILL test them out this weekend, bring them along next week, and get back to you with my results. :detecting:

Allas, I will also be putting the GTI 2500 and XLT on Feebay this weekend. :yikes: Momma is fuming that I need to sell off my other detectors like I promised to pay off the V3 right away. Yes, she is at times the Chairman of the No Fun at All committee. :surrender:

The Shark

I like the 4x6 too... I like it LOT more than the other small White's coils. However I also really like the SEF 6x8, it too is a reall killer. Other than those two I sometimes use the stock D2 coil, it too will slice like a knife, similar to the ML Pro coil... but still my two favs are the 6x8 (which I use most) and the 4x6. I keep the 6x8, 4x6, and D2 all mounted on their own lower shaft so that switching out is a snap.

Good finds!!

Julien

Those are some awwwefully nice finds!
I love that coil too...except I use it mostly for jewelry hunting.
Congrats!

I'm one of those guys who just hates seeing one of my good machines just sit. Sold my DFX (Loved it but the V3i is light years better for me.), sold my XL Pro :cry:, but just traded something for my old Classic III Plus to be back in my hands. Miss my TM808 too! Want an MXT Pro but after my pattern.... This V3i and that little Classic III Plus is just what makes sense for me right now. I feel your pain PokerShark. (I don't have a Ms. Stalin...but a Mother Theresa that can instill guilt with a sigh....I think I'm genetically Catholic?)

nw1886 said:
I'm one of those guys who just hates seeing one of my good machines just sit. Sold my DFX (Loved it but the V3i is light years better for me.), sold my XL Pro :cry:, but just traded something for my old Classic III Plus to be back in my hands. Miss my TM808 too! Want an MXT Pro but after my pattern.... This V3i and that little Classic III Plus is just what makes sense for me right now. I feel your pain PokerShark. (I don't have a Ms. Stalin...but a Mother Theresa that can instill guilt with a sigh....I think I'm genetically Catholic?)

It's official, the XLT and GTI 2500 are up on FeeBay. :cry: She won, but at least my Sunray DX-1 is due in the mail any day! :heh: And I sold the Pistol Probe to pay for it straight across. So she can't complain about that either - but she did try!!

They do guilt us well NW, but we still love them in spite of it. I know I do. :inlove:

If you wish to determine what Chinese coin you found, here is a site that will help you attribute it and the thimble sure does look silver. Nice hunt!

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/chinaid3.htm

Capt Ron

what are your sensitivity levels ? i just got a 4x6 , tx boost and rx 6 overloads in air . heard people say smaller coil higher sens, any advice?

Is it V rated? If it is and you can run RX 15 with TX boost off the coil is good

There are 2 situations I would suggest using TX boost.
1) Mild ground where I can generally run the RX gain up to 15, AND where there are very few targets. That is, a hunted out area where I really want to punch deeper.
2) Where RF noise is limiting the RX gain that I can run. In this case, TX boost can be switched on and I should be able to maintain the same RX gain as when it is off. If you can't get the gain to maximum, the TX boost would have little value. There is an exception... If your highest gain setting is limited by EMI instead of ground, then the TX boost can give a little more depth

thanks ,yes v rated yes rx 15 no boost, guess i just need to play with it more, the overload was at 8 not 6 oops.