Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

50 Year Old Rule.. Get Serious..!

fastdraw

I was thinking about flying to Florida to visit family with my Nox-600. So I jumped online and looked up Florida laws. So if I'm reading it correctly,..? anything that's 50 years old, or more, is "State Property" if detecting on public lands.
So a 1969 penny is considered State Property..? Get the F### out of here.!
Can I hear from some experience Florida metal detectors please. I'm looking at the Tampa area. I thought coins are exempt according to Federal law if found on public lands

Mums the word. what you don’t know won’t hurt you.

Remember the educational mantra...”The More You Know” with the big sweeping rainbow? Those in your situation have a different mantra...”The less THEY know”.
If I ever came across something I knew to be of historical significance, I would contact someone OUTSIDE of government that knew about those things to confirm it, and go from there. WAY too many little greedy hands grabbing for things I DID THE WORK FOR. I don’t need to give away any more than is already required(they get a cut before I even SEE mine).
Have a deep pouch and tight lips. Being excited about a find and wanting to share the experience has no place in true treasure hunting. I don’t think you have to worry about the “loose change”.

I was thinking about flying to Florida to visit family with my Nox-600. So I jumped online and looked up Florida laws. So if I'm reading it correctly,..? anything that's 50 years old, or more, is "State Property" if detecting on public lands.
Can I hear from some experience Florida metal detectors please. I'm looking at the Tampa area. I thought coins are exempt according to Federal law if found on public lands
Fast draw, if you have an issue with the authorities - tell them you work part time for the US Mint - you recycle lost coins found in the dirt and sand. You take them home and clean them and place them back into circulation. This saves the US Mint from The cost of this process, there by less coins are needed to be minted.
It’s a tough job and the pay is low but somebody has to do it.
Tony,
Part time Mint employee in NJ

[/QUOTE They would come after you if you had found a real treasure for sure but, not over a Mercury dime!....I hunt S. Florida & have been for many years on public land and area beaches with no real problems up to this point.

I am a N.J. transplant to the St Augustine area (St Johns Cty) and I have spoken to some locals here that metal detecting laws vary from one FL county to another. Probably thanks in no small part to that wrestler turned-relics for-profit treasure hunter who gave this terrific hobby a bad name and reputation with that unfortunate tv show American Digger, IMO
Regarding land hunting: it is my understanding that you cannot detect anywhere in the St. Augustine city limits unless you have a permission site. Whereas in neighboring Jacksonville (Duval County) one can only hunt the sidewalk median strips (permission not needed though some homeowners may complain as in other states).
I have pretty much converted over to beach and low tide hunting though I don't enjoy it nearly as much as land hunting. The locals tell me to stay positive and wait for a storm to come ashore and
churn up the ocean as we see further on down the coast to the Treasure Coast region of FL... HH and GL over on the west coast.