Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6 or 15 inch coil, which one do you want? (if any at all)

I think an 8 inch coil would sell like hotcakes for the folks that hunt in the water?

IMO

The 6 inch coil should take the nox awesome ability to separate targets and make it much better. As far as extra depth from the larger coil , I am already nailing 8 inch silver dimes really well , depending on your area and style of hunting you may very well not need the extra depth.....you also should remember that when you go to a larger coil to gain depth the extra ground covered reduces target separation and unmasking ability somewhat , there is always a tradeoff.

In my area there isnt any need to go deeper than what the stock coil will do. But being better at target separation is always a plus. I think its the 6 inch coil for me..

stumppass said:
I think an 8 inch coil would sell like hotcakes for the folks that hunt in the water?

IMO

Totally agree with this, an 8-9" would definitely be my pick and not only in the water. The Nox needs a tweener coil in size between the 6 and 11".

A few manufacturers of other detectors, and also various coil manufacturers, have had good luck with 5 x 8 sized coils.......Noise floor is lower on these coils so sensitivity can actually be raised.......Depth is not that much different than the larger stock coil......Much better size for wading in the water......This is what I would be looking for......Jim

FFX2 said:
.... + I'm pretty sure it has been proven that most large coils don't add any more detection depth than you get with stock coils.

surprise, surprise, wrong again.

Jason is correct however in heavy mineralized soil there real is no advantage but coverage to much dirt to process which will kill the depth . sube

sube said:
Jason is correct however in heavy mineralized soil there real is no advantage but coverage to much dirt to process which will kill the depth . sube

Once again Andy Sabisch says otherwise and I tend to go with the experts not some anonymous forum blowhard.

FFX2 said:

Once again Andy Sabisch says otherwise and I tend to go with the experts not some anonymous forum blowhard.

I think you should do some more reading fact the 17 inch coil for the ctx is deeper than the stock coil in areas of less dense trash my soil .
As far as target size the dd coil does not suffer loosing small targets like the old concentric coils did .
I guess all those people using large coils are just building there biceps the things you could tell them .

In Andy's book he even says the 17 is a tad deeper than the stock tad in my soil is 1 to 2 inches deeper which opens up another layer of targets so all these people that are swinging the 17 on the ctx forum (are not in the know) I think you should try one and see what it does in your soil and not misquote what people say okay I just said it and I am a anonymous forum blowhard to . lol. :thumbup: sube

These kind of things are extremely easy to test for yourself...you don't have to 'believe' anyone.
It's not a religion...it's physics...and it can be proven/disproven at any time.

In-ground target depth versus coil size depends on several things:
1. The amount of trash in the ground.
2. The ground mineralization/salination.
3. The conductivity of your target in relation to your detector's 'sweet spot' (frequency-wise).
4. The moisture content of the ground
and perhaps most importantly for our discussion...
5. Target size. <---this is paramount to our discussion

Large coils work extremely well for large targets.
Small coils work extremely well for small targets.

Generally speaking, "the larger the coil...the deeper the detection"...BUT...here's the important caveat:

Even in clean ground, there is a point when the smaller targets 'drop out' and the large width coil becomes less sensitive/effective to them.
Otherwise, we could all put on 24" coils and dig two feet deep silver dimes all day.

But, unfortunately (depending on coil design), dimes start to lose any extra sensitivity/benefit somewhere around the 12.5" to 13" (up to 15") width mark.
Note that this 'drop-off' in sensitivity doesn't happen to quarters until the coil size is bigger, and it doesn't happen to halves until the coil size is even bigger yet....etc.
And, of course, the larger width coils become MUCH MORE sensitive to even larger targets...such as a cache.

(The reverse is also true...smaller coils pick up smaller bits of stuff/targets...both good and junk. Good if you want it to...annoying as hell if you don't.)

Also, (as sube alluded to), larger coils are more sensitive to ground effect, and EMI because they're bigger and naturally 'see' more.
That effect can reduce (and in some extreme cases eliminate) the normal depth increase from larger coils if your ground and/or EMI is bad.

Now, because I hunt deep old coins, I've found that I can get a depth increase (on a dime) of about 3/4" by going from an 11" coil to a 12.5" coil...in my ground.
To some people this 3/4" isn't worth the money/effort....but with the sink rate we've got here, that's almost another 10 years down/older.
So to me, it's a 'no-brainer'...I've got to have it.

But, of course, it comes with another problem.
Because the coil is now seeing more depth, it's also seeing more width...and because of that is now more susceptible to the masking effects of iron and other junk targets.
(by being over multiple targets at once) It's easier for targets to 'hide' in iron/trash with a bigger coil, so it requires more finesse/skill to hunt.

It's a fine balancing act based on your intended target size.

To summarize then, it's impossible to make a blanket statement about coil effectiveness without also talking about the intended targets and ground conditions.
Jason, sube, and Andy are all perfectly correct...within certain, specific parameters.

Just like any tool box has different size wrenches, my detector 'tool box' has different size coils.
If I'm looking for tiny gold, I'll put a smaller width coil on one of my higher frequency detectors.
If I'm looking for a softball sized bag of silver dollars, I'll put on the biggest coil my arm can stand, and use one of my lower frequency detectors.
And, if I'm looking for a cache, I'll probably switch to my giant two-box detector attachment and use that.

But since I'm usually looking for nothing smaller that dime/half-dime targets, or bigger than a silver dollar...and if trash levels permit...you'll usually see me with a coil width of around 12-13"...trying to rescue another deep/old one.
:)
mike

trojdor said:
These kind of things are extremely easy to test for yourself...you don't have to 'believe' anyone.
It's not a religion...it's physics...and it can be proven/disproven at any time.

In-ground target depth versus coil size depends on several things:
1. The amount of trash in the ground.
2. The ground mineralization/salination.
3. The conductivity of your target in relation to your detector's 'sweet spot' (frequency-wise).
4. The moisture content of the ground
and perhaps most importantly for our discussion...
5. Target size. <---this is paramount to our discussion

Large coils work extremely well for large targets.
Small coils work extremely well for small targets.

Generally speaking, "the larger the coil...the deeper the detection"...BUT...here's the important caveat:

Even in clean ground, there is a point when the smaller targets 'drop out' and the large width coil becomes less sensitive/effective to them.
Otherwise, we could all put on 24" coils and dig two feet deep silver dimes all day.

But, unfortunately (depending on coil design), dimes start to lose any extra sensitivity/benefit somewhere around the 12.5" to 13" (up to 15") width mark.
Note that this 'drop-off' in sensitivity doesn't happen to quarters until the coil size is bigger, and it doesn't happen to halves until the coil size is even bigger yet....etc.
And, of course, the larger width coils become MUCH MORE sensitive to even larger targets...such as a cache.

(The reverse is also true...smaller coils pick up smaller bits of stuff/targets...both good and junk. Good if you want it to...annoying as hell if you don't.)

Also, (as sube alluded to), larger coils are more sensitive to ground effect, and EMI because they're bigger and naturally 'see' more.
That effect can reduce (and in some extreme cases eliminate) the normal depth increase from larger coils if your ground and/or EMI is bad.

Now, because I hunt deep old coins, I've found that I can get a depth increase (on a dime) of about 3/4" by going from an 11" coil to a 12.5" coil...in my ground.
To some people this 3/4" isn't worth the money/effort....but with the sink rate we've got here, that's almost another 10 years down/older.
So to me, it's a 'no-brainer'...I've got to have it.

But, of course, it comes with another problem.
Because the coil is now seeing more depth, it's also seeing more width...and because of that is now more susceptible to the masking effects of iron and other junk targets.
(by being over multiple targets at once) It's easier for targets to 'hide' in iron/trash with a bigger coil, so it requires more finesse/skill to hunt.

It's a fine balancing act based on your intended target size.

To summarize then, it's impossible to make a blanket statement about coil effectiveness without also talking about the intended targets and ground conditions.
Jason, sube, and Andy are all perfectly correct...within certain, specific parameters.

Just like any tool box has different size wrenches, my detector 'tool box' has different size coils.
If I'm looking for tiny gold, I'll put a smaller width coil on one of my higher frequency detectors.
If I'm looking for a softball sized bag of silver dollars, I'll put on the biggest coil my arm can stand, and use one of my lower frequency detectors.
And, if I'm looking for a cache, I'll probably switch to my giant two-box detector attachment and use that.

But since I'm usually looking for nothing smaller that dime/half-dime targets, or bigger than a silver dollar...and if trash levels permit...you'll usually see me with a coil width of around 12-13"...trying to rescue another deep/old one.
:)
mike

Thanks for the knowledgeable input Mike!!

Larger coil usually means a little more depth but it dosent continue to scale exponentially. When you go up in coil size you lose a certain amount of target separation , increase target masking potential , and have more ground minerals etc. to deal with. So at some point you lose more than you gain. There is always a tradeoff , when you increase size you lose something. You shouldnt assume performance will be the same only deeper.

I also do not want a 6 or a 15. My problem is where I am going to use my Equinox is either all sand or all weeds. I can dive with an 11" coil with no problems in sand as I use a 10.5 on my one CZ-21. In weeds I use an 8" on a CZ to push the weeds over. It was impossible to do that with the 10.5 without tiring myself out.

I think the 6" coil is going to be too small and will take up a lot of air while diving because it will cover less ground. I would love a 8" and I am hoping one will be made.