Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8 cell (12V) Alkaline pack vs the Li-ion 7.4V pack - ever use EBL AA's?

bklein

I just had my second CTX-3030 battery pack die. The pack was dead - must have left the CTX on accidentally. It would not charge in the charger so I had to get the cells out and charge them in a dedicated cell charger - which worked. In the process of transitioning the cells from the pack I managed to kill the power management board in the pack somehow. Second time this has happened to me. I had successfully done it twice though beforehand (once with this pack). No output from the board although the cells are fully charged.

I got to thinking about the alkaline pack. Although its not waterproof, it is an option. It uses 8 AA's, that's 12V and the Li-ion pack is 7.4V.
How long does it run for you using alkalines? Ever try Li-ion AA's from EBL? Curious if the AA pack would run all day or if I'd have to switch out the cells mid-way through. I did go ahead and order another Li-ion pack as they do seem to last for years if you get a good one.

I just had my second CTX-3030 battery pack die. The pack was dead - must have left the CTX on accidentally. It would not charge in the charger so I had to get the cells out and charge them in a dedicated cell charger - which worked. In the process of transitioning the cells from the pack I managed to kill the power management board in the pack somehow. Second time this has happened to me. I had successfully done it twice though beforehand (once with this pack). No output from the board although the cells are fully charged.

I got to thinking about the alkaline pack. Although its not waterproof, it is an option. It uses 8 AA's, that's 12V and the Li-ion pack is 7.4V.
How long does it run for you using alkalines? Ever try Li-ion AA's from EBL? Curious if the AA pack would run all day or if I'd have to switch out the cells mid-way through. I did go ahead and order another Li-ion pack as they do seem to last for years if you get a good one.
Since the li-on pack is 34 watts and alkaline aa are 2500 mil amps average or 2.5 amps per battery at 1 1/2 volts = 1 1/2 x 2.5 =3.75 watts per cell x8 =30 watts. Close to the li-on pack but those alkaline batteries are at 1.6 to 1.7 volts when new so you well get a few more watts making it a wash same power. As per board being bad i sent a message to you .sube