Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A nickel kind of day...

Geologyhound

Went back to a residential site the topo maps show had houses in the late 1800’s. Last house was just torn down about a week ago. Found a silver nickel (second from this site), a buffalo nickel, a 1940 Jefferson nickel and a 1970’s nickel. Now if only I had found a V nickel, I would’ve had the bases covered for the last 100+ years. 😁

The silver nickel was only an inch or two down in fresh dozed dirt. I think the dozer, or something historically, scraped up the back. The buffalo nickel is from the 1930s but that’s all I can make out.

The token is from Games People Play, which was like an old time Chuck E. Cheese. The disc stamped 334 I think might be an old job shift check-in tag. The enameled disc is Salvation Army. The washer-type thing is flat on one side and domed on the other. It is brass or copper and had tar on it. I wonder if it is a tarp grommet?

The odd shaped thing almost makes me wonder about a broken brass golf T. The small piece of melted metal came out of an old fire pit. It is heavy (not aluminum) and has silver highlights. I filed a corner, and it is bright silver-not gray like lead. The brass pulley is in pretty good condition and doesn’t have much corrosion patina, so it must be relatively recent.

The larger grey disc is heavy and I think it’s lead. It looks like a button to me but it’s fairly large for a button. There appears to have been raised lettering/logo on one side but I can’t make out what now. If it is a lead button it should be old, but I don’t know how old. Any ideas?

Attachments

• E20174ED-AF85-4019-B3C1-67A80F2B5014.jpeg
    E20174ED-AF85-4019-B3C1-67A80F2B5014.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 0F8B5A28-DBF4-4D28-94EC-C58FBB3E0A97.jpeg
    0F8B5A28-DBF4-4D28-94EC-C58FBB3E0A97.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • 380CCA12-6A0D-442B-9303-A6D2BEB7D1A1.jpeg
    380CCA12-6A0D-442B-9303-A6D2BEB7D1A1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Went back to a residential site the topo maps show had houses in the late 1800’s. Last house was just torn down about a week ago. Found a silver nickel (second from this site), a buffalo nickel, a 1940 Jefferson nickel and a 1970’s nickel. Now if only I had found a V nickel, I would’ve had the bases covered for the last 100+ years. 😁

The silver nickel was only an inch or two down in fresh dozed dirt. I think the dozer, or something historically, scraped up the back. The buffalo nickel is from the 1930s but that’s all I can make out.

The token is from Games People Play, which was like an old time Chuck E. Cheese. The disc stamped 334 I think might be an old job shift check-in tag. The enameled disc is Salvation Army. The washer-type thing is flat on one side and domed on the other. It is brass or copper and had tar on it. I wonder if it is a tarp grommet?

The odd shaped thing almost makes me wonder about a broken brass golf T. The small piece of melted metal came out of an old fire pit. It is heavy (not aluminum) and has silver highlights. I filed a corner, and it is bright silver-not gray like lead. The brass pulley is in pretty good condition and doesn’t have much corrosion patina, so it must be relatively recent.

The larger grey disc is heavy and I think it’s lead. It looks like a button to me but it’s fairly large for a button. There appears to have been raised lettering/logo on one side but I can’t make out what now. If it is a lead button it should be old, but I don’t know how old. Any ideas?
Nice finds, congrats.

Nice. What machine you running? Settings ?
I have a Deus 2 with a 9 inch coil and full headphones. I was running a modified fast program with version 1.1. With the V1.1 changes, I am still tweaking it. But, I don’t have much notched out between the mid 30s and the upper end. I do have different bins set up. Most of the 30s and some of the 40s I don’t dig unless I like the tone and can get a consistent number.

I try to keep the reactivity as low as possible, but with demolition debris mixed in, some nail beds from old sheds, and old burn piles, I did bump the reactivity up to three for some of the worst of it. I also kept my swings short in the high trash areas.

You had a very eclectic day there for sure. If you think they scraped stuff up makes you wonder what they scraped down as well.