Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A post at md-hunter caught my eye

MassSaltH2O

I was doing some research on the Equinox, when I came across a post by George Abraham on md-hunter forum that caught my eye.
He was lamenting the fact that he was not finding nickels to his satisfaction. Why anyone would want to dig for nickels is beyond me, but apparently George loves his nickels.
What caught my interest in a post about the problems with nickel hunting is the fact that nickels and gold have the exact same frequency. If you are not detecting nickels very well, you will not be finding much gold, neither.
George looked into the problem, and he found out some interesting things, at least interesting to nickel hunters and gold hunters.
I'm just going to paraphrase some things that he wrote on this topic. First of all, he found out that the Equinox is not a true multi-frequency machine. At least not in the way we usually think of multi-frequency detectors.
He found out that altho multiple frequencies are available, "The detector defaults to a certain frequency, depending on what the built in profile default is."
Furthermore, he found that to enable him to find his beloved nickels, (and by association, gold), he needed to go into the 40 kHz mode. Then he was able to find nickels again. He wrote that the signal comes in classic jumpy, but high signal.
He states that "So you will lose them (nickels) on multi since none of the Park, Beach, nor Field modes uses 40 kHz. You have to explicitly set it."
Who woulda thunk it? Very interesting...Esp for a gold hunter....

Many misconceptions by George.

Yea...nope.
I have found a lot of nickels easily spread out between multi plus one of two of the other single frequencies but never on 40, not that I have used that one much.
Mostly Multi...they are easy to spot in Multi, for me, anyway.

As a matter of fact I found out of everything nickels are one of the targets this thing loves to hit on the most bestest.
Loud, solid, stable most of the time...even a couple I am pretty sure were on edge.

I just don't believe this at all so I don't know what is going on with that guy and his nickels.
I would like to know what his exact settings are just for curiosities sake.

My Nox 800 loves nickels using the multi frequency modes. A few have hit at 12 or 14 but most of the time, the nickels hit right on 13. Maybe George has been running his disc too high? From what I've seen from folks that have actually scoped the Nox, It definitely runs multi frequencies at the same time.

I found and read the comment, and have these conclusions:

George doesn't actually speak of his love of hunting for nickels. He mentions instead that his country has SEVERAL coins made of nickel.
He specifically mentions a Namibian cupro-nickel coin that the EQ has trouble with, after the update.
(Having never been to Namibia, I can only take his word for that.)

You use the phrase(s) "he found out" to imply there was some involved real/technical testing and research going on.
George never said any such thing. He said he simply/quickly air tested and floor tested after he performed the software update, and he didn't like the results (of the update).

He did indeed say that in his opinion, that there is no mode that does simultaneous frequencies...which is easily/provably wrong...and that he "thought the pamphlet was misleading".
Without a single bit of evidence...like a simple O-scope trace...it's just meaningless conjecture on his part.

What is correct, is that 40k is more sensitive to lower conductors like gold, aluminum, and tiny bits of foil trash, than the lower frequencies.
And if your ground can handle it, and if you can handle digging the extra trash, it is better for low conductors...especially smaller low conductors.
IF YOU AND YOUR GROUND CAN HANDLE IT.

My take-away is this:
1. If you live in Namibia, you probably don't want to run the new update. Probably.

2. Don't waste your time taking someone else's word for how the EQ works if you've got one you can test yourself.
Instead take it out to your coin garden and go through the settings, until you're happy with the performance...in your ground...with your targets.
Don't worry/care what someone else says is their favorite settings, or what works best for them.

Realize that the reason the detector has adjustable controls, is that there is no 'perfect' setting for everyone.
If there were, it would have one control, like a Compadre. Or just an on/off switch.

But most of all, don't forget that we do this to enjoy ourselves!
Have fun,
:)
mike

Mass...... i did a post on nickels after testing over a hundred rings. I cant say it has the same EXACT freq. My finding is you are better off looking for a bottle cap or pull tab signal any day over a nickel if you are looking for gold with the Nox..... and i dare say most other machines. A nickel is in the lower range.... but a nickel can really change what digit it may be based on depth and crud on it..... you can really get the SKIN affect on nickels making the fade away to iron.

I've never had a problem finding nickel's with any machine

Hummm I’ll just say you don’t know what you don’t know lol.

Mass
MD Hunter is kind of like the National Enquirer of metal detector sites. I take whatever I read there with a mountain of salt plus it’s actually translated from Russian to English. Jeff

Equinox is a Nickel hound! I have found a lot of old Nickels with the 800.
Broke my one day V Nickel record not long ago with 5 Vs in one day from well hunted public park.
All of my old Shield,V and Buffalo Nickels come in at 12-13 using Park 1. Every one of them.

Bryan

Bryan V said:
Equinox is a Nickel hound! I have found a lot of old Nickels with the 800.
Broke my one day V Nickel record not long ago with 5 Vs in one day from well hunted public park.
All of my old Shield,V and Buffalo Nickels come in at 12-13 using Park 1. Every one of them.

Bryan
Hi Bryan. I believe you. I wonder what George's problem was in finding nickles. ? Thanks for your info.

jmaclen said:
Mass
MD Hunter is kind of like the National Enquirer of metal detector sites. I take whatever I read there with a mountain of salt plus it’s actually translated from Russian to English. Jeff

Hi Jeff. I didn't know this. Thank you for the info. I believe you. George's post about the difficulty of finding nickles seems to be pretty far out.

ramairnut said:
My 600 has hit more nickels than any other detector I have owned, true story:thumbup:

Thanks Ramairnut. Thumbs up! I believe you. I have no idea what George's problem was. Too bad he isn't on here, so we could ask him what planet he is on.

Mkus said:
I've never had a problem finding nickel's with any machine

Thanks Mkus. To be honest, I never had any problem finding nickles myself. I have no idea what George's problem was. Maybe he had a faulty machine. Or maybe he was clueless on how to operate his machine.... Shouldn't be that difficult to find nickles.

dewcon4414 said:
Mass...... i did a post on nickels after testing over a hundred rings. I cant say it has the same EXACT freq. My finding is you are better off looking for a bottle cap or pull tab signal any day over a nickel if you are looking for gold with the Nox..... and i dare say most other machines. A nickel is in the lower range.... but a nickel can really change what digit it may be based on depth and crud on it..... you can really get the SKIN affect on nickels making the fade away to iron.

Thanks Dewcon. This info really helps a lot. Where are your reports on testing rings and nickles? Sounds very interesting...