Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A post at md-hunter caught my eye

trojdor said:
I found and read the comment, and have these conclusions:

George doesn't actually speak of his love of hunting for nickels. He mentions instead that his country has SEVERAL coins made of nickel.
He specifically mentions a Namibian cupro-nickel coin that the EQ has trouble with, after the update.
(Having never been to Namibia, I can only take his word for that.)

You use the phrase(s) "he found out" to imply there was some involved real/technical testing and research going on.
George never said any such thing. He said he simply/quickly air tested and floor tested after he performed the software update, and he didn't like the results (of the update).

He did indeed say that in his opinion, that there is no mode that does simultaneous frequencies...which is easily/provably wrong...and that he "thought the pamphlet was misleading".
Without a single bit of evidence...like a simple O-scope trace...it's just meaningless conjecture on his part.

What is correct, is that 40k is more sensitive to lower conductors like gold, aluminum, and tiny bits of foil trash, than the lower frequencies.
And if your ground can handle it, and if you can handle digging the extra trash, it is better for low conductors...especially smaller low conductors.
IF YOU AND YOUR GROUND CAN HANDLE IT.

My take-away is this:
1. If you live in Namibia, you probably don't want to run the new update. Probably.

2. Don't waste your time taking someone else's word for how the EQ works if you've got one you can test yourself.
Instead take it out to your coin garden and go through the settings, until you're happy with the performance...in your ground...with your targets.
Don't worry/care what someone else says is their favorite settings, or what works best for them.

Realize that the reason the detector has adjustable controls, is that there is no 'perfect' setting for everyone.
If there were, it would have one control, like a Compadre. Or just an on/off switch.

But most of all, don't forget that we do this to enjoy ourselves!
Have fun,
:)
mike

Hi Mike. Excellent points. I have decided that George doesn't know what he is talking/writing about. Thanks.

Tom Slick said:
My Nox 800 loves nickels using the multi frequency modes. A few have hit at 12 or 14 but most of the time, the nickels hit right on 13. Maybe George has been running his disc too high? From what I've seen from folks that have actually scoped the Nox, It definitely runs multi frequencies at the same time.

Thanks Tom. I believe you. I don't think George knew what he was talking/writing about. I heard that they have great vodka in Russia.

REVIER said:
Yea...nope.
I have found a lot of nickels easily spread out between multi plus one of two of the other single frequencies but never on 40, not that I have used that one much.
Mostly Multi...they are easy to spot in Multi, for me, anyway.

As a matter of fact I found out of everything nickels are one of the targets this thing loves to hit on the most bestest.
Loud, solid, stable most of the time...even a couple I am pretty sure were on edge.

I just don't believe this at all so I don't know what is going on with that guy and his nickels.
I would like to know what his exact settings are just for curiosities sake.

Hi Revier. Yeah, too bad he isn't on here. We could ask what his settings were, and what kind of vodka he drinks. Good thing they don't drink tequila over there! Talk about creative writing!

BigTony said:
Please post a link, my searches are not finding this author.

Thanks,

Tony in N.J.

Forget that blog Tony. George was having a bad day (or a really good day) when he wrote that post.

MassSaltH2O said:
I was doing some research on the Equinox, when I came across a post by George Abraham on md-hunter forum that caught my eye.
He was lamenting the fact that he was not finding nickels to his satisfaction. Why anyone would want to dig for nickels is beyond me, but apparently George loves his nickels.
What caught my interest in a post about the problems with nickel hunting is the fact that nickels and gold have the exact same frequency. If you are not detecting nickels very well, you will not be finding much gold, neither.
George looked into the problem, and he found out some interesting things, at least interesting to nickel hunters and gold hunters.
I'm just going to paraphrase some things that he wrote on this topic. First of all, he found out that the Equinox is not a true multi-frequency machine. At least not in the way we usually think of multi-frequency detectors.
He found out that altho multiple frequencies are available, "The detector defaults to a certain frequency, depending on what the built in profile default is."
Furthermore, he found that to enable him to find his beloved nickels, (and by association, gold), he needed to go into the 40 kHz mode. Then he was able to find nickels again. He wrote that the signal comes in classic jumpy, but high signal.
He states that "So you will lose them (nickels) on multi since none of the Park, Beach, nor Field modes uses 40 kHz. You have to explicitly set it."
Who woulda thunk it? Very interesting...Esp for a gold hunter....

I use to strictly chase the silver, but my MD life got better when I started to take notice of nickel signals. Over 300 nickels, a war nik and some gold in a few months. Why wasn't I digging these sooner?

MassSaltH2O said:
I was doing some research on the Equinox, when I came across a post by George Abraham on md-hunter forum that caught my eye.
He was lamenting the fact that he was not finding nickels to his satisfaction. Why anyone would want to dig for nickels is beyond me, but apparently George loves his nickels.
What caught my interest in a post about the problems with nickel hunting is the fact that nickels and gold have the exact same frequency. If you are not detecting nickels very well, you will not be finding much gold, neither.
George looked into the problem, and he found out some interesting things, at least interesting to nickel hunters and gold hunters.
I'm just going to paraphrase some things that he wrote on this topic. [size=x-large]First of all, he found out that the Equinox is not a true multi-frequency machine.[/size]

At least not in the way we usually think of multi-frequency detectors.

And what do you mean by 'we usually think of multi-frequency detectors??????

He found out that altho multiple frequencies are available, "The detector defaults to a certain frequency, depending on what the built in profile default is."

[size=large]George Abraham needs educating on the fundamentals of our hobby.... I just hope he stays off Findmall.....matt[/size]

Furthermore, he found that to enable him to find his beloved nickels, (and by association, gold), he needed to go into the 40 kHz mode. Then he was able to find nickels again. He wrote that the signal comes in classic jumpy, but high signal.
He states that "So you will lose them (nickels) on multi since none of the Park, Beach, nor Field modes uses 40 kHz. You have to explicitly set it."

?????????????????????????​

UTTER CRAP.........and YOU think that his post was Very interesting...... ???

You both have a lot to learn.....sorry to be so blunt, but such posts are what denegrates the forums of today; and makes the learning curve for newbies seeking good advice, a confusing experience.

If only the administrators were a little more active, in monitoring the varacity of comments that are so questionable.

OK....Post them....for the sake of 'free.speach'......but somehow 'mark-their-title' (color it) to indicate a cautionary read.

***************************************************​

The Minelab 600 and 800 are technically excellent, and functionally fab.

For new users; just spend a little more time reading the manual, and DIGESTING THE FACTS.​

THEN PRACTICE ON TARGETS YOU HAVE BURRIED AT DEPTHS..

e.g......6 times the DIAMETER of the coin....response should be solid......8 x the coin's diameter....to test the limits....in multi.frequencies.

I suggest 18 to 20 sensitivity...( for I don't know your soil's limiting factor.)

Experiment with sensitivity to realise what your local conditions are...(typically.)

Once you have established a few 'standard' coin targets, run all 'modes' over each, and learn which suit YOU best.

If you're a newbie, then first use FACTORY settings....then as you learn the methods and significance of the available adjustmnts, you will discover the benefits of tailoring the NOX to YOUR liking......best wishes to all......matt

How about TWO tones for starters.....then 50 for smooth-audio-classification.....or whatever best suits your audible temperament.

Stick to multi-frequencies whilst learning your Equinox; and also auto-tracking......matt

My Equinox is very good on nickels. Interesting thought though, I have a nickel (several years in the ground) buried at 8" in my test garden and the multi-frequency is the only function that can consistently pickup the nickel with both a good audio and an accurate ID.

metalpopper said:
I'm just going to paraphrase some things that he wrote on this topic. First of all, he found out that the Equinox is not a true multi-frequency machine.

At least not in the way we usually think of multi-frequency detectors.

And what do you mean by 'we usually think of multi-frequency detectors??????

George Abraham needs educating on the fundamentals of our hobby.... I just hope he stays off Findmall.....matt

?????????????????????????

UTTER CRAP.........and YOU think that his post was Very interesting...... ???

You both have a lot to learn.....sorry to be so blunt, but such posts are what denegrates the forums of today; and makes the learning curve for newbies seeking good advice, a confusing experience.

If only the administrators were a little more active, in monitoring the varacity of comments that are so questionable.

OK....Post them....for the sake of 'free.speach'......but somehow 'mark-their-title' (color it) to indicate a cautionary read.

The Minelab 600 and 800 are technically excellent, and functionally fab.

For new users; just spend a little more time reading the manual, and DIGESTING THE FACTS.

THEN PRACTICE ON TARGETS YOU HAVE BURRIED AT DEPTHS..

e.g......6 times the DIAMETER of the coin....response should be solid......8 x the coin's diameter....to test the limits....in multi.frequencies.

I suggest 18 to 20 sensitivity...( for I don't know your soil's limiting factor.)

Experiment with sensitivity to realise what your local conditions are...(typically.)

Once you have established a few 'standard' coin targets, run all 'modes' over each, and learn which suit YOU best.

If you're a newbie, then first use FACTORY settings....then as you learn the methods and significance of the available adjustmnts, you will discover the benefits of tailoring the NOX to YOUR liking......best wishes to all......matt

How about TWO tones for starters.....then 50 for smooth-audio-classification.....or whatever best suits your audible temperament.

Stick to multi-frequencies whilst learning your Equinox; and also auto-tracking......matt

Hi Matt. You are right. Sorry about that post.

LMFAO....apparently
because the NOX is a beast on nickels as is the Etrac
deep...shallow.....they hit the same for the most part
one very important thing i have learned from the NOX however.....and it holds true all the time for me on every site....every condition and saves me mega digging for crap....
IF....at ANY point when you are waggling over the target....and then doing the 90 degree shuffle....
that an 11 pops up on the VDI....it is always always always going to be slaw/beavertail/folded pull tab/etc
if it always stay in the 12-14 area no matter what you do....and never blips even once on 11
DIG that baby

Hi MassSaltH20

My bad, I think MD-Hunter is a Ukrainian site not Russian. I love to read their crazy articles but like I said for either reasons of "lost in translation" or pure sensationalism I don't believe their facts too much.

Jeff

sunraysux said:
LMFAO....apparently
one very important thing i have learned from the NOX however.....and it holds true all the time for me on every site....every condition and saves me mega digging for crap....
IF....at ANY point when you are waggling over the target....and then doing the 90 degree shuffle....
that an 11 pops up on the VDI....it is always al justways always going to be slaw/beavertail/folded pull tab/etc
if it always stay in the 12-14 area no matter what you do....and never blips even once on 11
DIG that baby

Awesome! This is something to remember for those who value nickles a lot more than they do poptops. I am not interested in either of them, but unfortunately, they are in the ring range. Soooo... I guess I could donate any nickles I find to other detectorists on the beach. This might make them happy. Sometimes it doesn't take much to make someone's day.

sunraysux said:
LMFAO....apparently
that an 11 pops up on the VDI....it is always always always going to be slaw/beavertail/folded pull tab/etc
DIG that baby

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

"Thanks [size=large]'Sunshine'[/size], for posting your 'experienced'-observations, re 11

I will apply your target-VDI-analogies to a few indicative finds if they occur, and give feed-back....matt