Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Question For Digger

Bell-Two

When it is unveiled do you know if there will be posted here a complete spec sheet telling the features? Will there be an owners manual released in PDF? Will there be any videos showing features and usuage posted?

One of the interesting aspects of field testing a detector is that those doing the field testing aren't told who any of the other people involved might be. Frankly, I'm just as curious as you are in learning what someone else might think of the finished product. When Minelab releases the spec sheet or owners manual, and in what format, is also unknown to me at this time. I'm not trying to be vague. I simply haven't been told. I know it sounds as if I've been living in a cave the past..... however long its been. And believe me, sometimes it felt like I was. But that is the beauty of how Minelab takes on these projects. By having everyone doing their own tests and coming up with their own applications and conclusions, it makes for a very sound product for a majority of detectorists. What Minelab or the other tester(s) have to offer in the way of showing features and usage, again, I can't speak for them. I will say that I've documented my testing procedures quite thoroughly. And my intent is to share my conclusions with you as the process evolves. JMHO HH Randy

Randy, really nice reply.

I have been told that Minelab testers are pro Minelab and will only say good things. This dame about because there are no bad rumors from testers, only good it seems.

Now, I find it hard to believe that all testers would be pro anything, but what is your experience here? I imagine even if they are pro Minelab that they would still criticize the machine where applicable.

Thanks Randy that was what I was exactly hoping for! :jump:

I'm "PRO" whatever works for me in the field, regardless of the manufacturer. If it works well, I'll say so. If something doesn't, I'll report that too. One of the best things about working with Minelab is that they encourage feedback and listen to suggestions. In doing so, by the time that the finished product is prepared for the marketplace, any outstanding issues should have been resolved. Not all manufacturers are that concerned with their long-term reputation. And I think you'll have to admit, Minelab has an outstanding reputation. Diligence in product development is one of the reasons. JMHO HH Randy

Randy thanks and I cannot wait for you to be able to talk about this detector .....

Randy posted his perspective but I can say that having been involved in testing and development for Minelab since the original Sovereign project in the late 1980's that unless they have changed 180 degrees on the CTX 3030 project, they have in fact encouraged collaboration among testers and worked with the testers in drafting the manual, spec sheet and even some of the initial ads. There were many conference calls with multiple testers on the line with the engineers in Australia discussing issues and seeing if they applied universally.

I also disagree with the statement that "Not all manufacturers are that concerned with their long-term reputation" as I have not worked with any company that only wanted to hear positives and did not care about how teh product turned out or what the long term ramifications were . . . . just not good business sense for any product.

And Earthmansurfer, not sure where you heard that "Minelab testers are pro Minelab and will only say good things" as I have seen some of the feedback on a number of past products and there were quite a few very negative comments that the company (and this is not just Minelab) took to heart and corrected or at least addressed the best they could before relasing the detector.

Just another perspective from someone that has also worked on projects from almost every manufacturer over the past 30 years.

Andy Sabisch

Apparently the rules have changed, Andy. But from what I recall, they are not that different than with the first series of X-TERRA when we were asked to not contact other people involved in the testing process until the product was released.

HH Randy

I've been involved in about a half dozen ML projects, some of which never saw the light of day, but cross pollination between testers must have become an issue because communication was verbotten without prior authorization. Most of the time who and how many testers were involved was unknown, so there was no one to talk to anyway. The test protocols were rigorous, many times with several hundred nuanced questions that were only discussed with engineering staff.

In my career I've written electronic test protocols and the NDA's that accompany them, and therefore have an appreciation for the need for secrecy, and that doesn't just apply to ML but to other detector companies. Even at this late hour there are certain things Randy and I will not discuss in private because of existing NDA's. In a couple of days we will be able to discuss a little more, but there are certain things that I will not reveal to anybody because it involves core technology.

HH
BB

its a metal detector not a nuclear warhead. me thinks its a bit overboard but its a fun read better than the late night soap opera.

BP

Andy - I brought up on another forum how there were a few "leaks" from testers saying really great things about the CTX3030. Someone replied with something along the lines of "What do you expect a Minelab tester to say?" I disagreed as I thought the role of the tester (any company) was to, well, Test! and find out the flaws and positives. I never thought a tester would be pro anything as that would not serve the company - a bunch of shoulder patting would just hurt.

Nice to see the responses here.

Albert