Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A QUESTION FOR TESORO:

slingshot said:
chuck said:
But then we have to keep reading the same replies over and over again, it kind of ties up the thread.
Yeah. Makes me wanna get out and actually use my metal detector.
Haha awesome.

is a believer in reality, simplicity, and has an open view and knowledge of the metal detector industry and what some detector makers can, and can not, do for a broad consumer base. For a third-of-a-century I have owned and used, promoted and sold, Tesoro products. I still have a few of my all-time favorite Tesoro models on-hand and I put them to use.

You had a few good questions but they have been misdirected as we have all seen.

MI-AuAg said:
First of all, I must say, I am not a Tesoro owner.
Sorry to hear that because I know there must have been at least one good, functional Tesoro model that would/could appeal to you. It does depend, however, on the type of hunting you do and the sites you work, trash you deal with, and your patience level. By the way, what kind of detecting Do you do? Why haven't you owned a Tesoro model?

MI-AuAg said:
I could have been, had the "Cazador" come to fruition.
The so-called Cazador was a mistake from the start. They asked for suggestions for a name, then announced the chosen name way too often on this and other Forums, all the while not having anything even close to researched and developed product. Very sad because it got s ,lot of folks talking about a detector model 'concept' that wasn't really developed. It was more of a hint of a model idea that was never to be due to the loss of people behind any design.

Besides, since it was never really a product nor did it have any real described features and capabilities, how can you say you would have owned a Tesoro if that dream would have been offered, not knowing what it might have been or how it might have, or not have, performed?

MI-AuAg said:
I have an interest in all brands and models of detectors.
Good, and so do I. I am curious as to what makes and models you currently own, what search coils do you use, and what types of hunting do you like to engage in and the type of locations and conditions?

MI-AuAg said:
It bothers me to see a venerable company like Tesoro languishing in stagnation with suggestions of it's impending demise!
Hey, I even commented on the sad affair of Vince making the decision to hook up with the big discounting Kellyco as a Dealer since that was always a no-no consideration of Jack Gifford, Vince's and James' Dad. It was also a move that alienated many long-time Tesoro Dealers and even some Tesoro loyalists .

With the loss of dealers, especially 'local' dealers who used to stock and promote Tesoro products, that didn't help Tesoro's business in the USA. It was bad enough that they had gone/have gone so long without producing a more up-to-date product offering to be competitive, then to make that decision, to me, spelled a loss for Tesoro and put them on a slide to their eventual demise. Are they there now? Maybe not considering the foreign market that still enjoys what Tesoro offers and it fits well with many detectors they have been and are using, especially in trashier locations.

Personally, I do hope they can manage to stay afloat and produce some new and creative products, but we are seeing quite a change in the direction many of their competitors have been working to market their products and produce well-features yet competitive detector models. It's both a combination of desired features with some reduced MSRP's that makes it so competitive and difficult for Tesoro production to keep up with what they currently have, as well as with what the Tesoro engineering folks are capable of producing.

Let me add a dollar sign to this as well, because it takes ample dollars to pay for the design and development, for the materials, and for the marketing to compete ... and do so to be able to produce a more featured product at a lower price in today's challenging market.

MI-AuAg said:
It seems to me, rather than changing the color of control boxes on existing models, why not make a few MEANINGFUL modifications to a few popular models?
I agree that it wasn't really a major move to switch the colors of the control housings and rods to black, especially since most of the manufacturers made such a switch from '82 to '88 while Tesoro stayed with the brown and gold or grayish colors schemes. They did make an Outlaw that, by Vince's comments, was basically based on the Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX, and I don't think the changes were a good move with regard to the mode-change function and two-position button.

MI-AuAg said:
Over the years, I have read how the Tesoro faithful have expressed desires of things like multi tone ID, better/different ground balance, etc., on a variety of models.
The Tesoro faithful I know and have hunted with for a long time have wished they just reintroduced some of the older proven models, especially the Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX and Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX.

Many I know, and I, would like to have had a 10-Turn manual GB rather than 3¾-Turn on the [size=small]micro[/size]-sized housing models. I know I would also have preferred some manual GB function with the Cortés in the Discriminate mode, or have the Discriminate mode either manual GB or tied in with the automated GB in th4e Lobo SuperTRAQ. Those things could have been easily done, and should have been, with the original design of the product and not left as a factory preset GB for Discrimination.

And a number of "multi-tone" attempts were made that resulted in failure. The old Royal Sabre [size=small](made from 4/'86 to 9/'89)[/size], and later the Golden Sabre Plus [size=small](3/'89 to 2/'92)[/size], did have a 2-Tone Audio ID that was controllable with the variable Notch Disc. control that worked rather well. And the improved Pantera [size=small](7/'90 to 2/'92)[/size] had the ED-120 Discrimination circuitry, and again the variable 2-Tone Audio ID. but that was a rather short-lived production. It was kind of 'replaced' with the Golden Sabre II [size=small](7/'92 to 5/'99)[/size] that was essentially the same detector as it used the Pantera circuit board. The only difference was the Golden Sabre II lacked the 10-Turn manual GB control and was factory preset.

The more modern 'multi-tone' efforts included the Euro Sabre, [size=small](introduced in 5/'01[/size]) that tried to give us some adjustment to audibly classify Iron based targets, and the Golden [size=small]micro[/size]MAX that took two attempts to get the circuitry right to allow some 4-Tone ID adjustment but kind of flunked out. The better 'multi-tone' detectors in the industry have been and are those that use much more modern digitally-based circuitry and not the older-style analog design.

MI-AuAg said:
Why not pick a couple popular models and make those meaningful/useful uprades?
Again, like the Outlaw attempt, what we have seen hasn't been a tremendous success. It would be better to just make the better models all over again. Change the name to eliminate confusion, but let it be known that a new model is an improved re-entry of an older model. Like change to the newer pushbutton on a Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX, but give it a new name, and for heavens sake, dump the 'µ' symbol in the 'micro' MAX name.so folks don't keep calling it a 'u' or 'You' MAX.

Offer them with the lighter-weight, thin-profile 6" Concentric coil [size=small](they call it a 5.75)[/size] and reduce the weight of the current coil offerings. Also don't try and fool people with some magic abilities of an 8X11 Double-D search coil and think that's going to improve the field performance of their detectors. It won't, in most cases, and the Discrimination isn't as clean as a Concentric [size=small](especially with ferrous-based targets)[/size], nor are they as easy to pinpoint with. Besides, I have used several different Tesoro models in evaluating all of their standard Vs accessory search coils for hunting in a very iron nail infested site, and all of their DD coils have terrible performance compared with the 6", 7", 8" or 8X9 Concentric search coils.

MI-AuAg said:
A Tejon "II", or Lobo ST "Plus", or whatever.
Both of those models already have spme design changes they could use to improve them other than adding a II or Plus to their name.

MI-AuAg said:
It could add renewed interest, and additional cash flow, both, important to the continued viability of ANY company! IT WOULD SHOW THAT TESORO IS STILL IN THE GAME.
Tesoro is still "in-the-game" in some markets, especially overseas where many avid detectorists still don't use a Target ID models because many of those have been based on the original designs that simply showed references to USA coinage. Many countries have coins made out of nickel, steel, or other mixtures where these magnetic metals really mess up both audio and visual ID performance, plus their size, thickness and conductivity are not even close with the references most US coinage displays show.

Tesoro needs to get new engineering coupled with ample cash flow to design and develop and then market a competitive Target ID and Tone ID model, but do it in a way to compete with what is out there right now, and that isn't going to be easy. Other manufacturers have also been struggling in this current market as well. Teknetics Omega 8000 at $599 was a very serious contender that was priced $300 lower than White's MXT Pro and offered more functions and display info, but they dropped it and replaced it with the Omega 8500 that was a flop.

However they did reintroduce the very versatile and multi-featured T2 'Classic' at $499 which is $26 less than the Vaquero and $100 less than the suggested list of the DeLeén, and neither of those Tesoro's come close to the features and performance of the T2 'Classic.'

White's models, generally, are overpriced for the current market, but their MX5 at $599 is still a tough one for any Tesoro to try and compete with and match the features. Their newest low-cost entry models are both low on the list of being very impressive so struggling White's has some catching up to do.

Tesoro's last real attempt to corner a dedicated market, the Relic Hunting crowd, was the Tejón and it has a retail list of $699. There they are met with the challenge in the dollar category with the Garrett AT Pro at $699.[size=small]95[/size], and even tougher challenges from the more featured Makro Racer at $499 and Racer 2 at $749, or the Nokta FORS CoRe at $699 and FORS Relic at $749 ... and the latter comes with two search coils at that price, too!

MI-AuAg said:
The upgrades would not require any difficult, or expensive engineering. Just upgrades to proven, existing models. (some people are making these upgrades/mods on their workbench)
On-the-bench some people are adding manual GB to preset units, but that cancels any warranty and in many cases results in some degrading of performance. No, for Tesoro to do any really serious 'upgrades' they would not come out ahead. They have tried that.

They should, in my opinion, just look at what they currently offer, also look at some models that were/are popular that were discontinued and consider a remake of them, and at the same time try to compete with modern engineering with digitally-based models that offer more features, better performance, and at a lower and more competitive MSRP. That isn't going to be easy in this current era when the metal detecting hobby, as a whole, is slowly losing ground and isn't anywhere close to what it was when Jack Gifford started Tesoro in the hey-day of the hobby.

MI-AuAg said:
Moving forward with a few upgrades could eventually pave the way to a Cazador type machine in the future, by showing that Tesoro is moving in a forward direction.

JUST A THOUGHT.
Forget the 'Cazador,' and I don't think trying to 'upgrade' current model offerings is the way to go, either. Instead, we either have to accept the fact that a Tesoro is what it is or once was, appreciate what they can do, and keep the better offering at work doing what they do pretty darn well. And while using what works, and supporting Tesoro in their efforts to stay afloat in this changing industry, hope that some magic will happen and they can somehow develop a new and competitively priced model with features folks demand, or that they will be bought out by someone who will do just that.

Just my opinions as I see them.

Oh, back to my starting comment: "You had a few good questions but they have been misdirected as we have all seen." They have been misdirected because you and many Former Tesoro Forum posters, and those contributing today, have been asking question on the Forum directed directly to Tesoro ... but Tesoro hasn't been and isn't responding to any Forum post. Questions need to be e-mails directly to Tesoro or they need to have phone calls made directly to them in order for them to wake-up and realize they have a good consumer base of loyal fans out here who want and need some action on their part.

Perhaps the best and most factory/consumer relationship example s what we have been witnessing on the Nokta and Makro Forums, both here and other places, where Dilek reads and monitors, and contributes answers to their Forum-based questions and comments. No other manufacturer participates like they do, and that would be wonderful to see from Tesoro.

Monte

[size=small]PS: It is really good to be able to share our honest and open opinions on the "Beep & Dig Detecting Forum" compared to a Tesoro hosted site where a moderator could get on our case for saying anything negative.[/size]

Hello Monte,

Some interesting/insightful views!

You asked "why" I haven't owned a Tesoro model, and "what make and model machines I own"?

First, a little background. I detected in my preteen years with my Dad, in the late 60's-70 era. GREAT TIMES, lots of silver! I returned to detecting many years later when my daughter lost an expensive ring we had given her for her 16th birthday. She thought she knew the general area it was lost. Since I had mulled over the idea of getting back into the hobby, this kind of presented the opportunity.

I looked for an inexpensive machine, not knowing how long I would stick with detecting in my unexpected return to it. I set a few must have parameters, adjustable ground balance and multi tone to name a couple. Tesoro models were looked at where applicable. Since my experience was only with the crude (by comparison) models of long ago with audio only, a visual screen caught my interest. I settled on the BH Platinum, which I knew was the same machine as the Teknetics Gamma 6000 basically. A pretty well liked machine at the time, Same processor, with a couple different minor tweaks in discrimination, and GB. I was/am very happy with it. To this day it has found my oldest and smallest (in size) coin, an 1847 seated half dime. I still use it very effectively with a Fisher F5 11" DD coil primarily.

Years later I moved on to a CTX 3030. It's an incredible machine! I like the separate ferrous/conductive target ID, the ability to see multiple targets in their conductive range on the screen, along with it's adjustable tone ID to suit the operator. It's a very versatile machine. I could go on and on. I prefer as much target information as possible, the more the better! Target information, be it audio or visual is just an additional tool to use. It's not a detectorist's nemesis as many make it out to be. You just have to use the tools properly, and with the right perspective.

My third and last machine was bought for specific purpose use, nugget hunting. It's a Whites GMT. A friend and former coworker, who retired before me, moved out west. He has access to gold tailings on private property. I was invited by him, with the owners blessing, to hunt there when I visit. A Tesoro Lobo ST was a consideration. In my final analysis, the GMT was a much better machine. First the 48khz is much stronger on the small gold that is the norm. The Lobo has ONLY autotrac(in all metal), no ability to lock it. No manual option, should the user wish to run a little hotter, or for more stable ground, No "ground grab" for instant GB reset to the soil condition, all features of the GMT. The GMT also has a visual mineralization value of the ground matrix to keep track of changing conditions. A display of existance of magnetic material, and % probablity of iron (although not highly accurate, but good enough to adentify a SURE iron target) when checking a target. An audible iron grunt for high probabilty iron target. The GMT is a later design model of Dave J., as I'm sure you're aware, who also designed the Lobo ST years earlier. He improved/added a lot of useful features to the GMT! The ONLY thing IMO that the Lobo ST has over the GMT, is it's discrimination circuit. It gives it the ability to be used it as a general use detector also. The unfortunate thing, the autotrac doesn't carry over to the disc. mode when switching from all metal. It only has a fixed ground balance in disc mode. I'm not a fan of fixed ground balance.

That's a rundown of my current machines Monte, and how I came about choosing them. I tend to look closely at the plus and minus of ALL features/all brands. I value the knowledge of experienced users of specific machines/features. It's a valuable tool when shopping. One thing I have never done, nor will do, is ask or let someone to decide for me what machine is best for me, based on THEIR preferences. I think that is the biggest mistake any purchaser can and very often do make, only to sell it and buy another based on their choices. In that regard, I am very happy with the choices I have made!

IMO the more target information, the better. Each bit of information is a tool, the main thing is to know how to use them effectively!

As to where I hunt. Anywhere that has a possibility of a good target. Old homesteads, logging camps, parks , beach/shallow water, home areas (with permission) you name it, I'll go there.

Good Hunting Monte!

Maybe this is a "sign of the times"? First off, I have never owned a Tesoro. I have First Texas, Whites and ML machines. I don't fault anybody who is one brand loyal.

You all have probably been reading that Whites is going through similar issues with the MXSport. Tesoro and Whites are both well established US companies! Changes in upper management can really mess with great companies! The guys working on the floors or shops take the heat!

I am completely satisfied with the Vaquero I purchaded .It exceeded expectations and paid for itself in three months . I love this machine .

I agree with you on many points, such as we ought to buy what we research and consider fits our needs and not be wrongly influenced by some recommendations we receive.

Also, while I do know and understand the 'language' of my favorite Tesoro models and use them afield, I also like to use a detector that offers me some additional features such as a TID display, Tone ID, and a few other useful adjustment features. That has been easily witnessed by the listing I have of my current detector battery and those that I most often use. Too many people want TID to tell them exactly what to recover and what to leave behind, but I don't. I simply use this useful tool to give me hints of 'maybes' that I add to audio interpretation and make the decision to dig or not-dig.

Enjoy your detectors of choice and have the best success you can on your next foray afield,

Monte

SeabeeRon said:
Maybe this is a "sign of the times"? First off, I have never owned a Tesoro. I have First Texas, Whites and ML machines. I don't fault anybody who is one brand loyal.

You all have probably been reading that Whites is going through similar issues with the MXSport. Tesoro and Whites are both well established US companies! Changes in upper management can really mess with great companies! The guys working on the floors or shops take the heat!

Couldn't agree more Ron! It's a great hobby, and there's a nice variety of brands and models out there. The type of machine('s) anyone chooses is based on their personal wants/needs. Certainly, no one should be faulted for brand loyalty, it's usually based on satisfaction in performance. I've always said there are no bad brands of detectors, just different ones for the choosing.

Over the years many companies have seen huge changes. Bounty Hunter, Fisher, being bought out by First Texas. Minelab, a once privately held company being bought by Codan, a corporation. In terms of product developement, those companies may have benefited. More money available for future developement, more engineering talent available. Unfortunately Minelab's loyal Austrailian workforce lost out to cheap labor in Malaysia in the corporate trade off.

Tesoro, with the unfortunate passing of one of it's principals, and the public relations, product developement nightmare of the "Cazador", seems to be in a tailspin. I'm wondering if it has the ability or desire to develope and engineer new products?

A lot of recent new models from many manufacturers, seem to be put to market with serious software and hardware issues. The use of cheaper materials being put ahead of quality/durability. (CTX tiny battery gasket, thin, breaking coil ears on Makro machines, the leaks, cracked plastic on MX Sport cover, all recent examples). The manner in which companies deal with these issues varies considerably. Minelab chose to do nothing about the gasket issue, until it's new version with the larger gasket came out, I believe they can be used on prior models now, years later To their credit, Nokta/Makro seems to be VERY responsive to customer issues with their products, and quick to make a fix. Whites has a reputation for good customer service, and seems to be trying to cure the MX Sport issues. Unfortunately they seem to be mounting, I hope that unit gets straightened out. It seems like a good machine IF/WHEN all systems are working as planned. It's too bad it wasn't tested a bit more thoroughly to identify issues, prior to release!

I hope it is not as you said Ron, "a sign of the times"??

Monte said:
I agree with you on many points, such as we ought to buy what we research and consider fits our needs and not be wrongly influenced by some recommendations we receive.

Also, while I do know and understand the 'language' of my favorite Tesoro models and use them afield, I also like to use a detector that offers me some additional features such as a TID display, Tone ID, and a few other useful adjustment features. That has been easily witnessed by the listing I have of my current detector battery and those that I most often use. Too many people want TID to tell them exactly what to recover and what to leave behind, but I don't. I simply use this useful tool to give me hints of 'maybes' that I add to audio interpretation and make the decision to dig or not-dig.

Enjoy your detectors of choice and have the best success you can on your next foray afield,

Monte

Hey Monte,

I have indeed noticed your listing of current machines. I have enjoyed reading your posts, as you seem to look at different equipment from a more pragmatic, technical, less emotional perspective. Your insght of both platforms is a good thing.

I too, may have been an early Tesoro user, in my return to detecting. As I said, I came from a time warp. The difference in the machines I used so many years prior was enormous. The visual aspect just seemed interesting, and compelling, compared to the beginning years equipment.

In retrospect, if we look back on our choices positively, we made the right one.

Good talking with you! I look forward to reading your future posts.

Mom and pop companies such as Whites, and Tesoro , and to some extent before the sale of Fisher they too have a hard road when they try to cross over to national and international sales.

They no longer are small family run companies in a sense..have outside, experienced, educated in market and sales people move in, The change causes turmoil to say the least.

Where ever their trying to grow gets the most attention.and the most money being spent. This sometimes leaves the long time loyal buyers, and dealers feeling neglected.

The new will either hit a home run, or fall flat on their faces.... Many times several managers will be replaced. And new take over. Each with their own brand of operating a company..
In the course of this change over many long time employees leave for one reason, or another. Causing even more uproar within and out in the real world.. This also leaves some employees who handle the public unsure of what to say when talking with people .... WE being the people they speak with, or try to satisfy with the current products we are buying..

Gee Whiz guys..... I took about a year or so break and I come back and see the same stuff, people whining about not having that new Caz. Get over it and move on. If you don't like what Tesoro is doing go buy one of them other brands and quit complaining. There are plenty of choices out there.

For me it's simple- I use what works for me. I for one will take a Tesoro over all the other stuff.

Do you guys have any idea what kind of resources and money it takes to design a new detector? They are not as big as Fisher and White and don't have near the resources. If they aren't making what you like- move on, it's that simple.

What they make works quite well for me.

John (Ma) said:
I have a new Tiger Shark on the way and should be here any day. I love my Tejon which will keep up with any high dollar machine without the bells and whistles. Problem is people don't spend enough time learning their language and what it is telling you. They may not be the newest sleek camo with a fancy design, but performance wise, they'll still keep up with many of them.

Congrats on the Tiger Shark John you will love it...

You got it right 100% on your take on the Tejon and Tesoro detectors. I find just as much if not more with my Tesoro detectors than any of the so called modern technology digital units I have owned ( all sold now) and I find the Tesoro analog units to be superior in a lot of ways to the new digital technology units.(But they look cool and sell but are not necessarily better in the field). Just listen to the Tesoro sweet round sound on coins you know the one I mean. Thumb the Disc knob and will tell you anything a VDI screen will or more. Also the tones don't get all garbled together and the VDI numbers as handy as they can be are off at depth and jumping all around and they jump all over with multiple targets under the coil and can become frustrating not like when there perfect on the bench when testing. All modern single tone and multi tone newer digital technology units do this to some degree some more than others.The tone on the digital units are more like a video game and not real with information like the raw analog signal of the Tesoro units.

I do think if the Tejon and other Tesoro models had a two tone option lower for iron or signals set below disk set point (switch operated so you had a choice) with the break controlled at the disk setting might be really useful but still a raw analog signal. These 4,6,7,8 or more tone digital technology units are way too distracting and I think they can and do cause target loss in the real world trash environments of today.

Just my 2 cents....

Happy Hunting All,
Bill G

*Tesoro Outlaw
* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Sand Shark *
* Whites M6

Rainyday101 said:
Gee Whiz guys..... I took about a year or so break and I come back and see the same stuff, people whining about not having that new Caz. Get over it and move on. If you don't like what Tesoro is doing go buy one of them other brands and quit complaining. There are plenty of choices out there.

For me it's simple- I use what works for me. I for one will take a Tesoro over all the other stuff.

Do you guys have any idea what kind of resources and money it takes to design a new detector? They are not as big as Fisher and White and don't have near the resources. If they aren't making what you like- move on, it's that simple.

What they make works quite well for me.

Yes my friend I took a break too... It's always been that way here on this forum for some reason. Sometimes worse than others and the underlying shots by some kill me making me just role my eyes...Lol.. And agree use what works for you.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

I have been a Tesoro user for a long time. I have tried many times to branch out, but, always go back to my Tesoro.

I find it very hard to use other machines now, either I am too distracted by settings (XP Deus) or I am not getting enough to justify keeping it (Fors Relic & CoRe vs Tejon).

I firmly believe that Tesoro makes the best detectors on the market for the prices - If you get used to their sounds, and don't mind thumbing a couple knobs as you swing, you will never need a screen or fancy.
Tejon will perform as well as, or better than any machine out there in iron. Tejon can also get as deep or deeper. Has great disc x2, What else do you need?

The problem is not Tesoro, the problem is people that don't use them don't have confidence in them. People spend big money to think they have "the best detector" and with it they will find the best stuff easily.

People laugh at me when I break out my modded Cibola, like it's some kind of toy. To me, the modded Cibola is my go to coin machine, it will get deep on high conductors, and I can disc out anything I don't want.

If I am feeling particularly lazy and want to do some light digging, I will pick up my Outlaw - Best Coin and Jewelry detector I've used sub 8 inches - Easily beat my Minelabs for cherry picking on those lazy days.

The Tejon is my go to general purpose and relic machine - I can't fault the Tejon - In my experience it is better FOR ME than the Fors Relic. (I dig too much trash with the Relic, just silly trash like bent nails coming up mid or high tone - so irritating!)

Also the Tejon is, in my experience and testing, consistently deeper than the Fors Relic. I really wanted to love the Fors Relic - and don't get me wrong, the Relic is a GREAT detector. It's just not great for me.

That was a lot more text than I intended to type, SORRY!

AlanTN said:
I have been a Tesoro user for a long time. I have tried many times to branch out, but, always go back to my Tesoro.

I find it very hard to use other machines now, either I am too distracted by settings (XP Deus) or I am not getting enough to justify keeping it (Fors Relic & CoRe vs Tejon).

I firmly believe that Tesoro makes the best detectors on the market for the prices - If you get used to their sounds, and don't mind thumbing a couple knobs as you swing, you will never need a screen or fancy.
Tejon will perform as well as, or better than any machine out there in iron. Tejon can also get as deep or deeper. Has great disc x2, What else do you need?

The problem is not Tesoro, the problem is people that don't use them don't have confidence in them. People spend big money to think they have "the best detector" and with it they will find the best stuff easily.

People laugh at me when I break out my modded Cibola, like it's some kind of toy. To me, the modded Cibola is my go to coin machine, it will get deep on high conductors, and I can disc out anything I don't want.

If I am feeling particularly lazy and want to do some light digging, I will pick up my Outlaw - Best Coin and Jewelry detector I've used sub 8 inches - Easily beat my Minelabs for cherry picking on those lazy days.

The Tejon is my go to general purpose and relic machine - I can't fault the Tejon - In my experience it is better FOR ME than the Fors Relic. (I dig too much trash with the Relic, just silly trash like bent nails coming up mid or high tone - so irritating!)

Also the Tejon is, in my experience and testing, consistently deeper than the Fors Relic. I really wanted to love the Fors Relic - and don't get me wrong, the Relic is a GREAT detector. It's just not great for me.

That was a lot more text than I intended to type, SORRY!

Good stuff Brother and yes the Tejon is a great detector and will run with the best of them.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

*Tesoro Outlaw
* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* Whites M6

Believe it or not. Ive tried just about all the makers name brand units. and I can honestly say this much. Ive spent more money over the last 26 years on detectors and turned right back around to go back to where it all started for me. Tesoro .. Why? because they work.

Another thing is what you people dont see that goes on behind the scene . for some its difficult to elarn a detector because they are expecting miracles to happen because this guy found a huge nugget with his detector so you gotta run out and buy that one. lol Thats called marketing skill. Jusat ask Gary drayton. lol

Secondly. Why fix somthing that isnt broke. I understand everyone wants Tesoro to bring out a new unit.

Like i said you dont see whats going on behind closed door and behind the scene. Brothers grim..... $$$$$$

finnfoto said:
Believe it or not. Ive tried just about all the makers name brand units. and I can honestly say this much. Ive spent more money over the last 26 years on detectors and turned right back around to go back to where it all started for me. Tesoro .. Why? because they work.

Another thing is what you people dont see that goes on behind the scene . for some its difficult to elarn a detector because they are expecting miracles to happen because this guy found a huge nugget with his detector so you gotta run out and buy that one. lol Thats called marketing skill. Jusat ask Gary drayton. lol

Secondly. Why fix somthing that isnt broke. I understand everyone wants Tesoro to bring out a new unit.

Like i said you dont see whats going on behind closed door and behind the scene. Brothers grim..... $$$$$$

Agreed, and well said...

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

I think Tesoro has done things right, as far as logical progression, they make damn good metal detectors and always have. That logical progression is not so good for their business, unfortunately.

Tesoro reached the peak of what VLF can do a long time ago -
They didn't start adding superfluous bells and whistles like every other company, did they?

No, they went on a logical progression path - They made their detectors lighter, better balanced, and easier to use, improved their disc, and made better and better coils - They reached the peak in those arenas too.
For their price, performance, weight, balance, build quality - There is nothing out there that can match them, imo.

I have tried and tried many of the modern takes on detectors, multi tones, displays, blah blah blah - After using them, comparing them to a Tesoro, I can't justify keeping many if any of the bells and whistles machines.

There is something pure about the audio response a Tesoro gives - It is not digitally processed to death - coil goes over target - TONE - there is a lot of information in that Tesoro single tone that most detectors digital processing seem to kill when translating them to Tone ID. There is a whole language of crackles, pops, etc - A closer to pure 'analog' feel, I reckon?

It could just be me, I grew up using a certain type of detector and got stuck in my ways - not a certain brand, just a certain expectation of audio response and such.

Well Said Alan.

I remember a few years back I had run a Cibola and some may remember this post but long story short It blew my mind as a stock unit on the beach in Ocean City Maryland scanning the dry to wet sand behind a guy with a soverign gt who was cherry picking I pulled 2 quarters at over 15inches deep and followed the guy a mere 20 yards pulling coins he didnt pick up.

$13.00 in clad .

That still blows my mind . The vaquero another fantastic unit for relic hunting and coin shooting. Honestly there isnt a bad Tesoro unit out there. Each one has its place. Only detector I truely wish Tesoro would have ever made . is a dual frequency water proof unit.

I prefer water hunting but Ill run the heck out of the Tesoro Stingray 2 or the compadre headphone mod in fresh water. Both units hammer the rings for me.

I had a sandshark but parted withit thinking the excalibur was a better choice. Ive since parted with the excal and am going back to the sand shark Pi unit when I unload some gold and silver finds.

Its hard to beat a good thing.

I love my Vaquero with the manual ground balance I can set it up to go deeper than the Cibola