Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A VENTING Hunt!!!! :stretcher:

NebTrac

Before I get to the hunt I will relate a little of yesterday. We're 3/4 done with harvest here in dry central Nebraska. So that morning when I get to the combine, I've got a low rear tire. I go to fill it up and look and see some lug bolts are loose....hmmmm. I tighten them and run for 3 hours. Get that field done and go to move to the home place 8 miles away. On the way home there is a fairly good size hill. I head up and had a mini-van behind me that passes me at the crest of the hill (no one else coming towards us).

I glance in my rear view and I notice something isn't right. My old combine's top speed is 16 mph, and that same rear tire is "wobbling" like crazy. I can't stop on this hill, because of the grain semi-truck traffic. Those things crest the hill at 60 mph and they won't have any time to stop at all. The old girl held together until I got down the hill and off to a side road. (Thank you Lord!!!!). When I get off the machine and get a look I only had 2 out of the 8 lug bolts. The rest were gone.

I also teach Firearm saftey at a local town and this little fiasco was going make me late. Long story short, when I finally left the house, I looked at my wife and said I'm taking my detector. I need some Brain relaxation. She said "you won't know the difference" :shrug:

So I 10 Pm last night, when class got done I started to hunt their local park.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! :clapping:

Probably the Nicest Man on the Forum

Thankfully You Are Safe and Fabulous Finds

Major Congrats and Thanks for the Pictures:thumbup:

Congrats on some great finds ! :clapping:

Congratulations on the three silver and wheat's and cool ring, I remember finding one of these Christ and country pins about 10 years ago awesome find :clapping:

Congrats on the finds and I hope you found those missing lug bolts!

Many years ago I spent some time working near Sidney. Remember some old spots I'd sure like to hunt if I ever get out there again.

Nice ending to a good story. Hope you can get that combine fixed :surprised:

mike4663 said:
Nice finds. What was going on with that tire/ rim? Someone trying to steal it?

No. The lug bolts that were on there since I bought the machine 10 years ago had no tapered shoulder. So it was just flat on flat, got loose and stripped the threads.

saliorman said:
Many years ago I spent some time working near Sidney.

I've never hunted farther than North Platte. Ogallala is a town that has a lot of the old time cattle trail herd history to it. Sidney is about 3 hours West of me.

Thanks,

NebTrac

I'd sure like to get on the old site that was the technical college back in the '80s. It was a WWII training base. Got to be some good stuff there....

Thats a great story and some nice finds ! Congrats

HH all

Love the "Christ and Country" pin Neb..........sounds like you had quite a day :surrender: Hope you get your combine fixed!!!

Hawkeye Jim.............it's getting super dry here too!

Good stuff Troy...and thanks for the nice post and pics.:thumbup:

Glad that all was okay with the combine in the end and you were safe.:thumbup:

Nice finds!! That must be a nice park to give up coins that old.

Thank goodness the last two lug nuts held on till you could get in a safe condition. I remember the combines running around in the Mississippi delta when I was a forester (that was 27+ years ago). I would hate to have to repair an axle from contact with a road surface. I hope the lugs weren't too hard to replace.

I hope the drought didn't hit you too hard. All of our family farmland, in the Mississippi prairie, is leased or in CRP due to the high risk nature of the business.

HH and keep on with the good finds.

PS: I hunt to destress too. The stress just melts away and I know my ETrac well enough to just listen for the right "beep".

Great story Troy, the combine story brought back a lot of memories. Congratulations on the very nice finds.

The question I have is, how is your eye, because I figure your wife dotted it for waking her up!!

Randy

Good looking finds Troy...congrats!

You better hang onto the 8x6 for a while...you're doing much better with it than I!

Very nice night hunt. Big congrats on some very nice finds. I know what it's like not wanting to leave when your finding the good stuff. I've had some beach hunts while on vacation where I lost track of time and the sun was coming up before I got back. The wife was not happy. Sorry about the lug nuts on the combine. I had a similar experience on my trailer when pulling my John Deer to a bush hog job, pretty scary.

Way to go Neb - glad that wheel didn't fall off, that would have SUCKED!