Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Aluminum U.S. coins? sure hope not...

Aaron

This could be big trouble for all detectorists especially the manufacturers, although I doubt it will happen. But...again stranger things have...http://www.coinflation.com/coinage_material.html

It could be a blessing too......... aluminum cents..........YES

Yes, but those aluminum coins are gonna register right in there with the gold. They are talking about making a stainless steel nickel too, now you won't have to worry ab out that.

I am in favor of aluminum just because I think that they will last longer in the ground then the current Zincolns. I would think we would know the vdi number on them and could notch them out if needed once they start to be found in the ground.

I think it would be immensely painful, but lets just switch back to the gold standard. Lets stop this continuous spending binge by the government, afterall each of use owns a share of that debt, and who do you think gets to pay for it? The coin proposal is a "cost" savings measure, but there are a lot more high value targets that could be proposed that would save the same or far more money. How about this one? Stop stamping coins for one year. It's not like theres a shortage of circulating coins. Then lets whittle our way through all of the wasteful government departments that we really don't need like the bureau of tobacco and firearms. (I wouldn't mind setting up a still or two to supply my lawnmower with some "free" fuel) Hee.Hee.

How about writing to all our reps and senators something like this: (I am open to any improvements you may think of... so please re-write if you can improve it. You won't hurt my feelings at all. If we all write and encourage other to write we will get someonesattention and maybe they will implement a better soultion if they are offered one.) Maybe it can be formatted better with better spacing and breaks etc. Help...??

Dear (insert name of rep or senator)

In president Obama's 2011 budget the treasury wants to change the composition of US coins. They want to bypass congress. The way they propose to address the problem is not good.

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=9420

This is an important issue and need's to be addressed correctly.

The problem of coins costing more to produce than the worth of their face value is a real problem but to make them steel or aluminum based is NOT the correct answer.
I have a proposal.
Begin making 5-cent coins from bronze or from the zinc alloy that present day pennies are made from.
Make dimes and quarters from nickel, possibly even with copper sandwiched inside the way they are made now, or leave that for a later move if needed.
If you use aluminum or steel is used for any coin it should be the penny. Another option is to lose the penny completely. You may save enough to continue to make the penny as it is now made if you make the changes to the nickel, dime, and quarter.

These changes will satisfy the copper and nickel lobbies and address the problem of the price of coins.

In NO CASE should congress scede it's power on this issue to treasury. In NO CASE should our coins be made from aluminum or should they be steel based.

I hope you see the need to address this in the proper manner.

Thank you,

(your name)
Town, state

I bet a stainless steel nickel would read just like a quarter or dime on many machines, a washer does.

J