Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

aluminum versus gold

I have noticed that the CTX will pick up strong red signals in the lower 12 range, good signals like gold rings. I will dig and its a piece of square pressed aluminum. I tried to raise the detector and sweep which the signal remained strong, there seemed to be no breaking of signal either. Does anyone have any suggestions I can use? If the answer is you dig, I will dig. I am still learning the machine. Iam so impressed with the way it finds silver, its hard to accept that the gold is more difficult!

Glad you're enjoying your CTX. :)

The problem is with the nature of gold, itself. It's actually a slightly lower conductor than silver. So is aluminum. There's your problem.
You are correct...You dig.
Sorry.

(Or, as many have said, "The best discriminator is your eyes.")

:(
mike

PS - To make matters worse, you can actually find gold in various forms (rings, jewelry, coins, etc) pretty much anywhere on the scale.
If you're looking for gold, the characteristics of the sound are your primary clue.

Who ever puts out the first detector that can tell aluminum from gold will make a fortune.

The only thing that can increase your odds is the steady VDI. Aluminum, in a lot of cases, will give a varying VDI on each swing or from different directions. Gold, in a lot of cases, will hold a more uniform VDI.

No real answer for that. I do find rings "sometimes" tend to ID a more solid signal but of course not always. Gold is hard to find. Gotta be a digger! lol

If you have a good ear use the 50 toñes mode.I can't distinguish between the 2, some people say they can,good luck.

Southwind is right on. GOLD has a sound of it's own and will be a very clean tone along with a stable VID. I still dig a lot of aluminum targets but when your coil gets over gold you will know. Aluminum sounds very much like 10K gold targets so it is easy to think gold and most of the time you and me will be disappointed but practice with both kinds of targets and that may help. Like I said I still dig a lot of aluminum but hey we are hunting. No magic machines yet but hopefully with a lot of practice you can improve the odds. HH :minelab:

Gold is indeed a cruel mistress for the reasons stated above, if you proceed down this path in a serious way, try to read as many of the other forums as possible and try to see a 'pattern' of the successful gold hunters out there in detecting land, no matter what rig they use....the guys that find it consistently on the DIRT are the ones to pattern if you are landlocked..(southwind)

hint: I just finished doing my daily snoop of CL 'lost and found' some lady lost her big ring in a parking lot, which seems to be the norm now a days...you are not so much hunting gold as you are hunting a Gold wearers travel patterns...still, its a dang funny deal and a very tough target for those with the fever..i'm heading out for some myself right now!
Mud

hint: I just finished doing my daily snoop of CL 'lost and found' some lady lost her big ring in a parking lot, which seems to be the norm now a days...you are not so much hunting gold as you are hunting a Gold wearers travel patterns...still, its a dang funny deal and a very tough target for those with the fever..i'm heading out for some myself right now!
Mud[/quote]

Nice tip! I just checked for my area-there sure is a lot of cats running around here!

Like others have said Gold can come up everywhere pretty much. The only gold I have dug with the CTX(2 small rings) were 12-06 and 12-04(roughly)-both under 12-10 for sure. I definitely always dig those and they are usually foil

Better than CL

http://www.searchtempest.com

search for "lost ring" in "community" at a distance of 100 miles

Get an Excalibur and learn the sweet tone of gold. Aluminum has a buzzing tone to it and easily identified. I would love yo put my excal and 3030 in. A box during mating season snd come out with a hybrid, best of both machines. Wishful thinking I guess, just like the inline probe.
HH,
Mike

mcb613 said:
Get an Excalibur and learn the sweet tone of gold. Aluminum has a buzzing tone to it and easily identified. I would love yo put my excal and 3030 in. A box during mating season snd come out with a hybrid, best of both machines. Wishful thinking I guess, just like the inline probe.
HH,
Mike

So true

I have been putting them together but no offspring yet :)