Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Amateur / Ham Radio

I spent 20 years in the U S Navy as a Radioman. First two ships I served in we used International Morse Code (CW) for our longer range communications. Most of my time in the Navy was on Submarines and even though I attended a number of schools on electronics I never enjoyed the electronics portion of my job. (Proficiency with CW was a requirement when I was in the Submarine Force.) Too many hours spent working on faulty equipment I guess. Since I did not enjoy the electronics portion of Radio I never obtained my Amateur License.

Will depend on the country, but in the U.S. you just take a test covering rules, radio theory, etc
How hard will depend on the license. They do not require the morse code tests anymore, so
that makes it a good bit easier. Google "ARRL" for more info.

KC8RQH
73'S

Have not fired up the unit in years. In fact, it's all in the closet covered to keep dust out. Didn't have my ham license, but had the old "CB" license that used to be required.

The last unit I ran was a 300 watt Siltronix 1011D with a set of Astro Beams. The owner's manual said in the front pages something like, "don't cut this particular wire, nor solder this value capacitor in line, etc., etc., etc., or you will convert this 10 meter radio to an 11 meter radio." Of course, I followed the detailed instructions and made a lot of connections all around the world.

I tried getting my operator's permit but just couldn't get the Morse Code down. Then after I lost interest, they dropped that requirement. Maybe one day I will get back in.....legally this time.

WA6 P K Jose

Mostly forty meters from early 70's daytime west coast war zone and night time was all over the place.....including Pitcairn Island...had many qso's with Tom Christian...in case you know the history...

Cheers,

Tye

VE6TFD

Alberta Canada!

Good luck if i remember my morse code, but my Garrett ATX is a Canadian its always going "eh eh eh"

Cheers.

K8GTB
Novice KN8GTB in 1956.
Ran traffic/phone patches from ham stations in Marines (60-64). W6YDK, KG4AM, KG4BM, W4PFC.
Tnx and 73.....Z

N4*** here. Been licensed since early 80's. Not active right now. I kept waiting for the solar index to increase cause I liked DX but it never happened and I gave up. I like 2 and 6 sideband and DX 10 thru 40

[size=large]W4DBX[/size]

Ham for many years:wave:

KB4QQJ and K4INC (club) Mostly CW and Portable QRP.
Original WN4ACM? in mid 60's. Still very active.

73 for now

KB5SCY, need to renew license...haven't kept it current. Father-in-law got me into the hobby. After he passed away, slowly got away from it...

I checked the call, and unfortunately it seems to be over two years since it expired. Which means you would need to retest
to get another call. Or at least if the rules are still the same, and you get two years grace to renew before it's purged out.
So you'll also get a new callsign, unless you retake the old one as a vanity call. Which would mean you would have to pay $$$
every renewal.
Mine goes out this year, and I'll need to renew again. I've got a vanity call, so I have to pay some $$$ every ten years. The
amount seems to vary.. Not even sure what it is now being it's been nearly ten years since the last time.

NM5K said:
I checked the call, and unfortunately it seems to be over two years since it expired. Which means you would need to retest
to get another call. Or at least if the rules are still the same, and you get two years grace to renew before it's purged out.
So you'll also get a new callsign, unless you retake the old one as a vanity call. Which would mean you would have to pay $$$
every renewal.
Mine goes out this year, and I'll need to renew again. I've got a vanity call, so I have to pay some $$$ every ten years. The
amount seems to vary.. Not even sure what it is now being it's been nearly ten years since the last time.

Thanks for the info. I may just not worry with it anymore. Too many hobbies as it it. Just got back into detecting. Started buying my guns this past summer for cowboy action shooting. Then I traded for a bass boat back in November. Plus I make my money to buy my (toys) making ink pens out of wood/antler/acrylic/used rifle casings...Not sure how I'm going to fit all my hobbies in this year. Keep telling my wife it's time for me to retire...