Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Amateur / Ham Radio

Birdseed

Hi

Any Hams out there

:thumbup: KB9SE

onboard the Nantucket Lightship at East Boston, We have a couple of Hammers on board for Lighthouse Weekend. They set up in the radio room with thier own equipment and fire away. This will be the third year coming up.

I also collect "BIG BOY" restaurant items.

I think that would be a blast Ron. I used to participate in field day in my younger years, when we set up a radio station in an emergency environment and made contacts for 24 hours. That is usually late in June every year.

G'day again from Tasmania (VK7)

Tnx for the feedback, seems to be a lot of Hams into detecting world wide. This may be the forum to connect us up.
I enjoy restoring older equipment, (when time allows) and not restricted to ham radio,
I have a small collection of morse code keys.
I recently restored 1969 Morris MiniMatic car. There are only about 5 auto-transmission Minis in Tasmania, so getting parts was a problem.
I also collect, cut and polish gemstones.
Also as an added interest to my detecting I enjoy restoring the odd bits of jewellery and rings I find..
Have a collection of cameras as well -----------

Now that I'm writing it down I suddenly realize I'm a hoarder !!!!!

Will post some photo's later if anyone is interested.

KD

N9WBE not as active as I should be just like detecting, should get out more but then there is fishing too....lol

I can recall back in the Dream time when Ham operators designed and built their own sets. antennae and test gear and talked about nothing but tx and rx and tx power and sig to noise ratios..
I recal a mate of mine who talked across Australia on UHF. That's UHF not HF,or VHF every night and world wide on good nights depending on atmospherics, even bounced sigs off the moon to get a bit more coverage.

His set was a work of art to look at and those big tx tubes could literally warm your heart when the blower was running.
When this rig was on line you could hold a fluoro in your hands and walk 50 or 80 mtrs into the paddock and the tube would still be lighted up. We were effectively talking Megawatts.I remember one night while talking to a bloke in Melbourne from Adelaide on the uhf my mate said to the bloke that he would like to try his little booster unit and could he give him a sig strength reading when he turns it on..sure no probs. On go the big tubes for a little warm up and then hit the tx button and the bloke power meter in Melb went hard off the clock. Was the rig legal:heh:... Is a White Pointer a vegetarian. AHHH the good old days.

Good post Fisher's. Sounds like the story I heard of our local TV station engineer who worked 6 mtrs mobile several years ago before I was a ham. I guess he worked every TV in town at one time or another:rofl:. That is (was) my favorite band to work.

KB8MH (inactive) - West Virginia

Inactive mainly because I play bluegrass banjo, do woodworking, some metal detecting, listen to satellite radio, still work full-time, and have eight grand kids !!!

Yep. My handle here is my call. Been at it since the 70's, and was a hard core SWL before
that.
I probably use it more when I'm camping up at my dirtpatch, than I do at home these days.
Also used to like to run mobile a lot, but haven't had the guts to drill any holes in my newest
car.. It's a Yota with thin metal..
At the dirtpatch last fall..

fall2.jpg

And a closeup of what's on my stone bench. I normally don't use the tuner much,
but I had to rebuild my antennas this last trip. The varmints ate up all my coax that
I had with the old antenna. I only put up 80m dipole legs this last trip, and I slapped
the tuner on it to use 40m for a while that afternoon. I'll add 40m legs later on.
I normally have 80 and 40 dipole legs in parallel, fed with a single run of coax.
The yeller thang is my trusty handheld GPS.

http://home.comcast.net/~disk200/fall14.jpg

Yep, KR8AM...Southern WV been at the hobby since the early 80's spend most of my radio time on psk.

N3YUG in Maryland

73's

Jason

Hello....Tim here, WU3U in Philadelpha. Ham since 1983. Novice call was KA2RVJ, also held N8LXR for many years. 73 and HH to all.