Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Amazing Hammered coin found in Victoria, BC Canada.

A hammered 1551-3 Edward VI shilling, facing bust was found December 13th, 2013 in blue clay along the gorge riverbank in Victoria, BC Canada by a metal detecting acquaintance of mine with a CTX3030.

Wide speculation of how it got there is rampant on the Canadian Metal Detecting forum.

Size is 1mm thick and 33mm wide.

The blue clay kept the coin very well preserved.

Comparison picture from England.

Wow! Strange indeed to end up there..

it was probably left behind by the common north American "yeti". They have been known to trade with Christopher Columbus.

A big congrats goes out to Bruce here in Victoria, B.C....He is definitely a dedicated detectorist and deserves such a great find

Ron L

rluka said:
A big congrats goes out to Bruce here in Victoria, B.C....He is definitely a dedicated detectorist and deserves such a great find

Ron L

It sure is an amazing find. Great job.

Sad to see Dr. Tones reply. Mocking someone's is not something I expected from you. Shame on you Dr tones.

Ancient coins appear in the USA (west coast, etc...) of not only that, but back to ancient times. Heck, in my neighborhood, where I grew up, all the houses were built in the late 1950s. As a kid, I roamed all the parking strips and ...... believe it or not .... found a silver British coin from the 1870s . Gasp. Now OF COURSE it was a modern loss. But the point is, SO TOO is the explanation plausible for all such ancient coins found here. I know of a Roman coin from about 100 AD found in Monterey, CA . *Obviously* a modern pocket loss :rolleyes:

I don't know why modern people seem to think that *only* modern people collected coins and souvineers. For example: all the WWI and WWII GI's returning from over-seas, brought back coins and souvineers from those countries. And I don't know why modern people seem to think that ancient coins weren't a novelty, even back in the old days. For example: There was a "fad" of egyptology even in the 1920s, where it was vogue to get an ancient coin, if you were travelling through those old world countries. Yup, from road-side tourist stands (even to this day), it's not impossible to buy an ancient coin.

And while it's odd for people to be carrying something in their collection, to "fumble fingers loose it", yet ....... why is that so hard for us to think can happen? Heck, we find diamond rings, and all sorts of things "people didn't intend to loose" ALL THE TIME.

Human nature is human nature. And ancient coins have been collected, found, collected, found collected, and ..... yes lost again, all the time. A buddy of mine found an old coin still in the plastic sleeve on the beach one -time. And this sort of reminds me of the comical story of some archies in the pacific northwest (OR or WA) years ago, who found a chinese cache coin in an indian midden site. The cache coin dated to something like the 1600s. So the archies were "all over themselves with glee", as if this somehow proved the chinese were in the pacific northwest long before the Europeans or Russians got there. Little do they know, that those silly cache coins (with the square hole in the center) circulated for 100's of years, and can/could be lost with utterly no bearing on the date of mint. Yup, it's not uncommon to find those cache coins from that old, even in RR worker and coolie camps in the west, that didn't get the chinese till the gold rush or RR building era. Hence we know that the dates mean nothing.

So too can it happen with coins from other countries.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. But no, it's not a conspiracy, or proof that "someone else was here first" , etc.....

georgia canuck: I don't know the web address of the canadian md'ing site you're referring to, but feel free to cut & paste this there (or link it, etc...)

deep-digger-dan said:
rluka said:

Ron L

It sure is an amazing find. Great job.

Sad to see Dr. Tones reply. Mocking someone's is not something I expected from you. Shame on you Dr tones.

Dan,
That was just Tones being funny, mocking is entirely different.
Of course we are all excited about such an odd find that most likely we will just have to speculate forever about how it's journey ended there.

Sorry I posted the link, but it was removed of course.

I imagine the Ark of the Covenant is somewhere close by! Super find!!!

Damned nice no matter hoe or when it got there! Its still a straight-up jaw dropper of a find and that's a fact!

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Sorry I posted the link, but it was removed of course.

Why would you be sorry for posting a link?......and why would it be removed? There is a "text" of a link in one of the posts above, does that not count? I know this is off topic, but, I would like to know what the rules of posting are in this or any of the different forums. I have looked and cannot find any set guidelines. Apparently, certain swear words are tolerated, but, a link is not? I have figured out that anything that is even remotely political ist verboten. The best I can figure is that you just have to post what you may and see if you are chastised

Just so this post stays "on topic"......that is a gorgeous find, regardless of how it got there or when. Anyone would be proud to find something like that!!

Linking to other detecting sites is a no no. There is section on findmall for political views, if I recall, the Guvner (findmall owner) himself is there often.
Sometimes it is easy to forget that this site is a private business and links like that are a bit like advertising other MD sites in this one (obviously that wasn't the intent but still forbidden ) . The Mods, and Admins generally do a good job of keeping things on track. I don't know what the Guvner did to convince them to take that responsibility though, because I would not want it.

Nice coin I saw it on the Colchester forum earlier this week this coin is getting around
hh
jeff

A find of a life time - a huge congrats ! :beers:

That's an awesome coin to just have in hand, and not as important where it's found. More importantly he has one and I don't.
I'm envious!!!

INSAYN said:
That's an awesome coin to just have in hand, and not as important where it's found. More importantly he has one and I don't.
I'm envious!!!

I'm envious of your seated coins myself, I haven't found a Barber nor seated yet.