Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

An FE-12 Theory.......

Beachcomber

After spending some quality time with the E-Trac 10 hours and counting I have noticed something interesting that may or may not account for why Minelab chose to make most non-ferrous targets read FE12. I have noticed as have some fo the others of you out there that very deep targets that are what we used to call "fringe area targets" have a broken audio response and read with a much lower FE number while still for the most part maintaining thier proper Conductive number. I am beginning to think that Minelab was well aware of this phenomenon. Since these deep signals drop so low on the Ferrous scale on the Explorer with the old FE numbering system these targets could drop so low that they could drop right off the screen and wither be nulled out or not detected at all. By putting most targets on the FE 12 line there is a lot of room for them to drop without being rejected or not detected. Just a thought.....what do you think? Personally I wish Minelab would just explain to us thier faithful end users :) what the reason was that they did it but this seems like as good reason as any.

HH

Beachcomber

n/t

You said it all! If ML would just jump in and tell us what their theory was it would end all this speculation. Yeah! Discovering things is fun, but I think most of us are into discovering targets rather than how and why the machine operates the way it does. Maybe Andy's book will help. ML certainly should! Jim

they didn't do it to aggrivate people. I'm sure they had a reason for it, I just wish they would speak up and tell us what the reason is. Has anyone asked them?

Julien

coins had so little ferrous on the explorer they never dropped completely, unless the were just totally iron masked, and if thats the case dont think the etrac will get them either..if anything the 12 would make it worse.. the explorer ferrousity all silvers and large cents was 0 and 1, alot higher than what they are now at 12, even teh cents were in teh 4 to 6 range.. so if anything is going to drop more in the ferrous range it will be the etrac.. at least on the explorer they stayed on top and may have moved left if mixed with iron.. but hardly any junk read up there, and when you got one of those reading it was a good thing .. now they move down where who knows what reads... they seem to drop down in where the iron falses stop coming in, so its basically a guess.. luckily so far the coins at least seem to hit harder than the iron... dug an indian in iron today that read 14-31! solid.. and its a bronze one..was laying on top of the ground, moved to 12-34 in air.. sounded good though just wierd reading.. checked it with the explorer at home and it reads the same as other indians?

if theres something you know please share it with the rest of us-I've been following the threads for awhile now and decided to post--I've had my etrac for about a week now and hunting in conduct is the what I used on the XS-EX2-SE so its not a big deal to me--but I don't think I'm getting the depth I should be--it suffers alot in auto sensitivity just like the explorer series did---so I'm going to start using manual and see what happens--I still am trying to figure out if I like the etrac or not--sooooo if anyone knows anything for sure lets hear it-Thanks-Mike C...AZ