Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Mass Shilling! OAK TREE

steelheadwill

Hi All, I haven't been out hunting lately, got a couple snowstorms up here in NH, and it's been cold & windy
Yesterday, I braved the weather and returned to the site where I found my Pine Tree Shilling. within 10 minutes I found another Mass Shilling! This looks like an Oak Tree, it was setting right on the surface among the rocks, tree side up. as with most of my surface finds, the side facing up is toasted, I can still see the "M" of Masathvsets, and a few of the spikey branches. The Reverse is a little better, date & XII clear
(which isn't the minting date, for political reasons, most mass coinage used this date from 1660-1690, I think the Oaks were 1670s)
you can read about this interesting story here: http://www.coins.nd....Contents01.html This one has been clipped pretty good, only 25mm left of original 29... Also what looks like a 1694 William & Mary Farthing, the only copper of this size with left facing Britannia and date under exuerge, bust is far to left also, may be a counterfeit, her arm isn't right. or a different coin altogether.
Brittania appears to be a late 17th Century though....
Anyone know what this toasty 22mm Copper might be?
Well, Just shows there's quite a few of these old silvers left out there!
Best digs Everyone! Herbie.

Wow! :surprised: Most of us in the U.S are happy to find a coin from 1950's and you're getting them nearly 300 year older! :lol: season.

Really Thrilling

I just found a piece of a Connecticut Copper from 1780's

But I never imagined there were 1600 coins still salvageable

And you proved that TWICE:clapping:

Wow. Wonder if I could find any of these in Virginia??

outrageous day herbie! my personal congratulations!
we are in the right place! i've found my share of stuff,but never the shillings
incredible find! wow! sooo sweeet! great effort! i can picture you dancin' around like a lunatic!
i think it beats findin' gold to tell ya the truth! love to "pop" one of those! we got 'em!
it all started here!..just sayin'

Cool coin !!!!

E-TREC-Virginia said:
Wow. Wonder if I could find any of these in Virginia??
Thanks Everyone!
that link in the OP says that these circulated in Virginia, (and a lot further!)
I got some help Iding the Oak tree variety
Even with what little detail remains here,
it has to be:
1652 MASSACHUSETTS
"OAK TREE" SHILLING -
NOE 3 Variety equivalents: Crosby 9-G
Rarity: Very Rare.
I looked thru the 12 varieties shown here, none come close to having the reverse 'N' at the 1:30 position except the Noe-3.
http://www.stacksarchive.com/viewca...mp;heading=11420&headinglevel=3
Correct comparison pix here, even the offset strike and planchet crack are similar.
Nice Weather Coming! HH Everyone!
NH%2520FINDS%252003-05%2520008%2520copy.jpg
NH%2520FINDS%252003-05%2520009%2520copy.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0DN6uleA81U/T1diL5qGsFI/AAAAAAAAARU/PIoRIaBrA4A/s512/NH%2520FINDS%252003-05%2520020%2520copy.jpg
NH%2520FINDS%252003-05%2520020.1%2520copy.jpg

AJupstateNY said:
Anyone have a extra GPS tracking device I can borrow? :rofl: I will be in NH detecting next month,
love to find one of these!:detecting:
AJ, maybe we can get together when you're in NH, PM me...
Apologies for the bad link in OP, here's the page that shows circulation info about halfway down,
go to 'section contents' for great info on Mass Silver and other Colonial issues. Great Site!! HH All!
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/MASilver.intro.html

Any type of coin with a 1600's date on it is the "Holy Grail" of coins to me !
A HUGE congrats on a FANTASTIC find ! :beers:

HH --- Mark

Thanks Bart and Mark!
2012 is starting off as my best year yet!
Hope the same for you,
HH to Everyone!

The other coin looks like a 1722-1724 Wood's Hibernia Halfpenny.

[attachment 225607 hibernia.jpg][attachment 225608 NHFINDS03-05011copy.jpg]

timholliday said:
The other coin looks like a 1722-1724 Wood's Hibernia Halfpenny.

[attachment 225607 hibernia.jpg][attachment 225608 NHFINDS03-05011copy.jpg]
Thanks Tim! that's her:clapping:
They made Farthings too I think.
HH, herbie.