Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any bird watchers?

pan4au

any bird watchers here? can you id this bird?

these seem to sparrows.. I will need to eradicate them from my eaves. I'm going to remove the nest and cover the nesting area.. The pellet rifle will take care of any that don't want to leave..

Appears to be what some call an English Sparrow (House Sparrow) they love to nest in the eaves of a house and are a pest in my view. Pellet gun them but don't let your neighbors know.

my neighbors are on my side....they want me to eradicate as many as possible

What George said. They are a big pest over here. The farmers always seem to have a problem. Everyone's first instict when we seem them over here is to get the .22 out and get rid of em!

Some day them damn humans will just infest the planet and well have to get rid of em... Just get out the Phazar and don't let anyone know....:nopity:

We already have infested the planet and we've done our best to destroy it.Species such as these birds become pests through our own actions,you can't blame them for doing things that come naturally.Why not let them finish nesting then block up any spaces they are using,this will cause them to loose interest and move away.You could always stick to your original idea and kill as many as you can which is what humans seem to be best at..........just destroy everything that becomes a nuisance to us,pathetic really.

The nesting area has already been covered...a month ago.. I don't know where they are nesting now but the are still in the area I see a few scatter when ever I go outside

Well if everybody does the same and stops the birds nesting in their home,the sparrows will move on.Shooting them won't do anything to their numbers if they still have a place to nest.Everybody needs to take responsibility to protect their own property......no more nest sites means no more sparrows.If there are fewer places to nest,their population will fall naturally and they won't be a nuisance.They do not seem to be causing a nuisance to you anymore as they are no longer nesting in your eves by the sound of it,so why do you still want to shoot them?

I like watching birds !!!! shooting any bird even common house sparrow as pictured is a state and or federal crime you will be PROSECUTED in return if caught. Starlings are even worse! poop bombers from hell :starwars:

Woodchuck said:
I like watching birds !!!! shooting any bird even common house sparrow as pictured is a state and or federal crime you will be PROSECUTED in return if caught. Starlings are even worse! poop bombers from hell :starwars:
NOT
Species not protected by law

The following species are not protected by law because they are non-native invasive populations with potential to damage property, pose a human health risk, and have detrimental effects on native wildlife.

House (English) Sparrow
European Starling
Rock Pigeon
Nutria

Species deemed destructive

The following species are deemed destructive to property and may pose a safety or health risk to people, livestock, and other native wildlife.
http://www.tn.gov/twra/nonprotected.shtml

Got a bunch of them sparrows around my property. I feed them and woodpeckers, doves, blue birds, bluejays, Cardinals, etc. during the Winter and make sure they have water during the Summer. I don't feed them during the Summer so they keep the insect population down around the house and barn.
And no, i'm not one of those tree-hugger types. Its all about insect control. Can't count the times i actually seen a sparrow snatching some kind of flying insect.

Far as the gutter thing. Hasn't been a problem.

Now for them rat moles that infest the County, my side by side 12 ga. takes care of them.
Mice too. Not enough traps in the State to get em all in my barn. They crap and nest in my pickup, tool bench drawers, etc.
Last year i found a large bull snake slithering around in my pole barn. I don't kill snakes, they're nature's mice killers. Decided to leave it be and low and behold the mice problem was solved for a few months.

I don't have them nesting anymore since I made eaces inaccessible to them

I guess I'm a bird watcher. Every bird I see, I mentally I.D. it. If it's something I've never seen before, I'll look it up. Birds do fascinate me...so yea I guess I am bird watcher.
Funny, I don't consider myself a coin collector per say, but I hunt old coins and keep them.

Everything is the fault of man, I have no doubt. I do not like killing animals, but always, there are exceptions. You just have to execute one, tie a rope to his feet and hang on visible place, will not return from there, or sparrows and other birds, sad live without birds. Cancel their breeding sites. Do not leave food at their disposal, have your food thoroughly clean environment. Under favorable conditions sparrows breed 3 or 4 times a year.
Fried in oil are very rich,:rofl: but need lots and clean of feathers and guts is very laborious.
A raptor dissected in view also scares them, but only a little time, maybe a live hawk/gavilan , well trained.
Senda

Not really sure about the validity of this saying but use to hear back in the day that the English Sparrow was partly responsible for the decline in population of the native American Bluebird? They don't share the same nesting habits so could be the Bluebirds were just overwhelmed by the sheer number of the English Sparrow's. Honestly I think urban sprawl hurt Bluebird populations more-so because they prefer open meadows surrounded by natural tree lines and we lose more of these type of sites everyday across this country.

Texadillo said:
Not really sure about the validity of this saying but use to hear back in the day that the English Sparrow was partly responsible for the decline in population of the native American Bluebird? They don't share the same nesting habits so could be the Bluebirds were just overwhelmed by the sheer number of the English Sparrow's. Honestly I think urban sprawl hurt Bluebird populations more-so because they prefer open meadows surrounded by natural tree lines and we lose more of these type of sites everyday across this country.

I've had a pair of blue birds that nested every Spring in the small bird house in my back yard. Haven't seen them last Spring but then again that bird house has deteriorated badly broken and overflowing with brush.
I have seen them off and on though around my property. Gonna have to build em a new bird house and see if they come back.
I really miss seeing those blue birds in my back yard!

I've also got a bunch of sparrows around here and over the years they never seemed to bother those nesting Blue birds.

Birds of a different feather don't stick together except'n maybe in the Winter when the wild bird seed is thrown down!
I see all kinds of different birds feasting on those seeds. Whats interesting is the only time i see a squable is with birds of the same species.

What kind of world woud this be without birds?