Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any comments out there on the depth of the gold bug dp

Gold nuggets? Rings? ?? Its a very impressive machine. Good on coins too! Call me if you want to chat about them! Love to help answer questions.

I have found bullets & buttons at 10" or more with both the G2 And GB DP.......MO

Hey 2 much trash, I just set up a test garden today in fact, with all different coins (clad and silver) buried between 6" and 12". Then, after setting up the garden, I just quickly ran my F70 and my Gold Bug DP through the garden. I was able to all hit all the coin types up to 10" in disc mode with the Gold Bug DP, and the 12" quarters and nickels were no problem for the Gold Bug in all-metals mode (couldn't hit the 12" quarter in disc mode, only all-metals mode). I have red clay soil, low-moderate mineralization, ground phase upper 50s to low 60s.

The Gold Bug ID'd the coins nicely, too; for what it's worth, the F70 is deeper (it's a BEAST on depth), but ID'd much worse, with its stock 10" elliptical concentric coil.

I am very pleasantly surprised with the depth capability of the Gold Bug DP on coins (as Bart stated above).

Steve

Read the above post, even in Georgia where iron is king, seems to be the same. :super:

for your responses. I've spent the last 12 months trying to decide between the gold bug, now the gold bug dp, or the f70 Your responses have certainly helped me.
Thanks guys
Willie

hey 2 Much Trash --

If you are looking for depth as the most important thing, and you are deciding between the Gold Bug Pro or DP, or the F70, go with the F70. It is definitely deeper on coins, etc. The Gold Bug is no slouch, but the F70 is DEEP.

Steve

I like how the Gold Bug Pro grunts through the iron and junk to get to the good stuff. It's a smooth operator.:)

Tabman --

You are absolutely right about that -- when you set the tone-break at 40, it grunts through the iron junk until you hear a VCO tone emerge through the grunts, which is nearly always a non-iron target. I have dug some flat rusty iron pieces which ID'd high VDI -- which is fine. But, it does not "false high tone" on iron like the F70 does. On the flat large rusty iron, it IDs constant higher tones -- jumpy, but high. I can deal with that. The F70, though, gives erratic short, choppy high tones mixed in with the iron grunts, when around iron trash.

Other than the few larger flat iron pieces (and, of course, the dreaded flattened bottle caps that DD coils seem to LOVE to ID as coins), the Bug Pro is amazing in iron. I cannot tell you, in the very few hours I have on the machine so far, how many multiple-target holes I've dug, with iron in them, and yet also something with higher conductivity -- which the Bug Pro reported in a quality-enough way to (obviously) cause me to dig. It finds everything...the smallest pieces of metal -- small 22 cal bullets at 6", tiny brass pieces, etc.etc. It finds them amongst the iron. And, as others have said, it LOVES round things!

Steve

True Bill! Revised statement, if you need any help with pricing contact me. Don't wanna not post any useless knowledge I may have. Ha ha

You are absolutely right about that -- when you set the tone-break at 40, it grunts through the iron junk until you hear a VCO tone emerge through the grunts, which is nearly always a non-iron target. I have dug some flat rusty iron pieces which ID'd high VDI -- which is fine. But, it does not "false high tone" on iron like the F70 does. On the flat large rusty iron, it IDs constant higher tones -- jumpy, but high. I can deal with that. The F70, though, gives erratic short, choppy high tones mixed in with the iron grunts, when around iron trash.

Other than the few larger flat iron pieces (and, of course, the dreaded flattened bottle caps that DD coils seem to LOVE to ID as coins), the Bug Pro is amazing in iron. I cannot tell you, in the very few hours I have on the machine so far, how many multiple-target holes I've dug, with iron in them, and yet also something with higher conductivity -- which the Bug Pro reported in a quality-enough way to (obviously) cause me to dig. It finds everything...the smallest pieces of metal -- small 22 cal bullets at 6", tiny brass pieces, etc.etc. It finds them amongst the iron. And, as others have said, it LOVES round things!

Steve[/quote]

I have found exactly the same on the flat large rusty iron but 3 things have helped me to have a good feel for what it is.

First the high tone with this type of iron often has a real "zing" with it, it almost sounds too high.

Second by getting the high tone in the centre of the coil and then just gradually backing off whilst you are rechecking it until only the very front edge of the coil is passing over the target regularly downgrades and produces a very slight but tell tale iron buzz when it is iron, a none ferrous target such as a coin never downgrades wherever the coil is.

Thirdly and this mainly applies when coin shooting the size of the iron will give a discernible bigger footprint area than that of a coin.

Try these suggestions out and see if it works for you guys.

hey liketodigit --

Very, very good information, but I have a question on something you wrote that is PARTICULARLY interesting...you alluded to an "iron buzz." Can you tell me more about that? I'm trying to see if you are referring to something I have also heard. I posted in a few forums before about a weird audio "buzz" that I occasionally hear "underneath" the "tones," when in disc mode on my F70. I have now begun to hear that occasionally on my new Gold Bug Pro, too. It's a "buzz" that is NOT part of the VCO in the Gold Bug, but sort of a "background" or "on the side" type of sound. In limited experience on both of these machines, I have gotten the distinct, though unverifiable, impression that the buzz happens only with highly rusty/corroded iron targets. It's almost like maybe the machine is sensing the "halo" -- the buzz being some kind of "iron oxide halo" buzz. Is THIS what you are referring to, also? If so, THANK YOU, as you and one other person I've run into have ever mentioned hearing this "buzz," and you are the ONLY other person who has mentioned associating the buzz with iron. I'm sure there are many others who could chime in, but so far, it seems like something not many are commenting on. But, if what you are referring to is what I've described, then it is potentially a VERY revealing clue in the audio, and one that is CERTAINLY not highly-discussed/publicized.

Steve

That iron edge sound that comes in with the tone (beep) can be telling on a lot of the iron we encounter, especially on shallower hits. However in my experience the deeper audibly faint tight or short sounding hits that have this leading/trailing edge sound do need to be dug because in many cases they can be non-ferrous targets co-located with even the smallest bits of rusting away iron. Some analog detectors such as the ML Musky/Advantage give a similar type response on deep non-ferrous targets co-located with iron but don't come close to the G2/Bug Pro's ability to pick out the smaller stuff.

Tom Z

SG, my friend yes that is exactly how i would "TRY" and describe it, although even to put it in words has you sort of struggling for an accurate description of the sound.

I shy away from using the term "Halo Effect" as i am sure someone much smarter than me has stated that this is not possible a few years back on another detecting forum.

Anyway whatever it is or whatever causes it i can hear it.

It is like an echo of a buzz or a phantom buzz, it is there but elusive, it's like a new type of noise separate to the other noises and may go unnoticed by many people but once you latch on to it you then become more and more aware of it it might even be of a certain frequency that not everyone can pick up.

I can now even start to notice it in a normal sweep but for me definitely becomes more noticeable on the very edge of the coil.

When i first got the GB and as usual not being sure what was there i dug plenty of flat iron plate that gave a really good high tone.

Then over time i started to experiment by checking these types of zingy high tones out to see if i could get some way of id on this type signal and it was whilst doing this that I sort of accidentally stumbled upon the above phenomenon and every time i dug this type of signal it was flat plate iron.

I was still concerned that i might be passing up on a potential good target until the day i had one of these types of signals with the slightly different less zingy but still high tone mixed in, confused i dug away and pulled out a nice large piece of flat iron but then on rechecking the hole there was the high tone without the phantom sound still to be heard and out popped a nice roman bronze coin from the same hole.

I now feel confident that if i get this zingy high tone with the "Phantom Buzz" on it's own it will be iron and if there is a good target in the same hole it will still give the more normal high tone and will not be missed.

Very interesting and beneficial.

Jackpine Savage said:
That iron edge sound that comes in with the tone (beep) can be telling on a lot of the iron we encounter, especially on shallower hits. However in my experience the deeper audibly faint tight or short sounding hits that have this leading/trailing edge sound do need to be dug because in many cases they can be non-ferrous targets co-located with even the smallest bits of rusting away iron. Some analog detectors such as the ML Musky/Advantage give a similar type response on deep non-ferrous targets co-located with iron but don't come close to the G2/Bug Pro's ability to pick out the smaller stuff.

Tom Z

Good post Jack and it's good to have that reminder.

The if in doubt dig it out principle will never let you down and even though i have a lot of confidence in my GB and my hearing i always fall back onto doing that if there's the slightest doubt.

Thanks.

liketodigit --

Great post, and great info. And you described that elusive "buzz" sound very well!! :) It's hard to describe, but I am nearly certain we are both referring to the same thing.

Yes, I know what you are saying/who you are referring to (I think) about doubts regarding the "halo" issue; I do believe though that rusting iron DOES leave a "halo" around the target; coins which do not corrode (all except zincs!!) probably do NOT, and I think this is what was being said by the person(s) who question the halo idea. I have no way to "verify" if I am correct about the iron, but I know I often dig rusty iron that has stained the surrounding soil with "rust color," and this rusty stain around the target likely does get read by the detector, I'm thinking. I wonder if this is part of the "buzz." In any case, once I fully grasp what the machine is telling me (as you have), I think I can cut down on a good bit of my iron that I am still digging at this point.

Steve