Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any comments out there on the depth of the gold bug dp

SG. I am sure it is the same thing we are referring to it's the same phenomenon but we are now looking at it with a new set of glasses the GB / G2 which are revealing more details of the old effect through their improved technology

Since the thread was started on the topic of depth I wonder if you could check something out in your test bed.

One thing I have not been able to confirm with the GB / G2 yet is this.

Does having a lower disc setting give you any noticeable / worthwhile gains in depth.

Does having a lower disc setting improve recovery speed.

If so at what setting / settings does depth and or recovery speed start to suffer if you use a higher tone break disc setting?

The above may have an affect on how we use the machines in the field to give us the optimum setup.

I have started to do some testing of this myself but have hit a very busy period where time in the field will be minimal and it is always better to have more than one tester with different soils etc to get a picture of what is going on.

Thanks.

It's a great question, liketodigit, and one I will check out in my test garden just as soon as I can (how different disc settings might affect depth and recovery speed...) I have wondered that too -- if running higher disc settings will affect things negatively, especially depth...

Steve

If you want to be amazed put on that 5" coil and get your yardstick, I dig that iron when I use the GB and I dont bitch about it because GBSE is my pal. He gave me 4 buffalo nickels and 7 mercs,one silver washington quarter,two 1-1/8" copper tokens,and 50+ wheat cents this week alone. Coins 6 inches deep in solid clay sound like they are on top of the ground. The Nickel beast. O yeah and a 1907 V nickel too I almost forgot.

I'm with deese, Hey let hunt sometime G2/ GB-DP the King of the iron recovery!! :cheers:

Deese said:
If you want to be amazed put on that 5" coil and get your yardstick, I dig that iron when I use the GB and I dont bitch about it because GBSE is my pal. He gave me 4 buffalo nickels and 7 mercs,one silver washington quarter,two 1-1/8" copper tokens,and 50+ wheat cents this week alone. Coins 6 inches deep in solid clay sound like they are on top of the ground. The Nickel beast. O yeah and a 1907 V nickel too I almost forgot.

I'd say that you might be stretching it a bit with that story if I didn't know how the Bug operated firsthand, but I have a GB Pro and I'm just as amazed as you are with what it will do. With the 5" coil a dime will air test at around 7 inches, BUT I did dig a dime in a sports field at 9 inches. The ground was soaking wet and was sod over a built up sand base.

I havent kept up with the forum over the last months,I have been working on a movie set. Are we calling the GBSE with modulated audio GBdp AS IN Delta Pitch? I see gold bug pro, gbse, gb(dp), and the g2 is out now. I am mildly confused.Everybody was waiting impatiently for the g2 the last time I was on. You know when I use a machine that works as well as the gbse I dont really consider how deep its going,I just dig silver and copper,and brass. My detecting partner listens more to my gold bug than his own detector,he is always asking me "whats that?"

Hey Deese --

No, the Gold Bug (DP) is really, simply, a Gold Bug Pro. "DP" stands for "deep penetrating." The only difference between the Pro and the DP is that the DP comes with an 11" DD search coil, instead of the 5" which is standard on the Pro. Bottom line, a Gold Bug DP is a Gold Bug Pro, that comes with an 11" DD coil (i.e., it and the G2 are identical, except for cosmetics -- there has been some speculation that the G2 has two processors and thus may be a bit faster, but I've had others say no, both have two processors and are the exact same machines, aside from cosmetics). So, for all intents an purposes...the GB SE are the "not-finished, prototypes;" the GB Pro and DP are the same, except for the different coils which come standard on the two of them, and the GB DP and G2 are the same, except for cosmetics.

Steve

Going for deep targets can leave you bugg---d by lunch and you spend the rest of the day back filling the digging and another week recuperating.:stretcher:

Project1_800.jpg

My ambition is only foot deep.......................but I got big feet.:happy:

ivanll

sgoss66 said:
liketodigit --

Great post, and great info. And you described that elusive "buzz" sound very well!! :) It's hard to describe, but I am nearly certain we are both referring to the same thing.

Yes, I know what you are saying/who you are referring to (I think) about doubts regarding the "halo" issue; I do believe though that rusting iron DOES leave a "halo" around the target; coins which do not corrode (all except zincs!!) probably do NOT, and I think this is what was being said by the person(s) who question the halo idea. I have no way to "verify" if I am correct about the iron, but I know I often dig rusty iron that has stained the surrounding soil with "rust color," and this rusty stain around the target likely does get read by the detector, I'm thinking. I wonder if this is part of the "buzz." In any case, once I fully grasp what the machine is telling me (as you have), I think I can cut down on a good bit of my iron that I am still digging at this point.

Steve

it certainly does steve, you are right. iron halos can make a target seem larger than what it is:thumbup: