Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any news on a rain/dust cover for the V3 meter?

I can't seem to find it now, but I thought I read on Whites' website that the V3's control module was rainproof, and that the battery box was also fairly rainproof (other than the headphone jack and battery door). I know I've been caught in the rain with mine a couple of times, and it didn't hurt it. (But I didn't continue hunting in the rain, either.)

I just purchased a meter cover off of ebay for the V3 ($14.95 + $1.95 S&H) Just search Whites spectra V3 and they will come up.The seller had 6 left when I last looked.

Carl and I both have made comments on here that the V3 is pretty rain resistant, with the headphone jack being the most vulnerable part. I have hunted in the rain several times with no damage. The two parts of the pod is sealed with a gasket and the speaker on the box is Mylar and it is sealed too.

I remember ya'll saying that... there is no reason to cover the display housing. IIRC, the face cover is replacable if it gets scratched. I usually put a screen protector on my detectors but not with the V3... it's not necessary.

I too have hunted in the kight rain with no problem. I keep the plug in the HP jack and pay a little attention to the battery door but it would have to really be almost underwater I think, for the battery door to be a problem. You could always wrap a little cling wrap around the back of the box if it's going to rain but I wouldn't worry a bit about the display housing.

I think a cover for the display housing would be a real downer to try and use.

J

I have had a rain cover and decided that there is no upside to 'em. Just me but there has never been an issue from the XLT to the DFX...and now to the V3. Dust cover is another story (for keeping the box nice). Buy 3 replacement screens for the same money. Not that you'd need 3!

...I'm more conscerned with keeping the housings from getting all scratched up and protecting my investment than the weather. Thanks again.

horsesoldier i felt the same way and didnt want the thing all scratched up and covered with dirt. i read somewhere someone used the front of a cd case. all i did for a quick fix was take clear plastic fron cd case cut it same size as the screen . took a ziplock bag and cut hole just a litle smaller and scotch taped clear plastic in the hole on the inside and outside of ziplock. i just slide it over the screen like a glove. gets a little glare once in awhile but so far been takin a beatin and looks brand new. keeps the dirt an mud of anyway till something better comes along.

Totally understand keepin' it nice. Just a thought. Back when I was a kid...was into RC planes a bit. (A friend was really into it and had all the gear to fix build etc...) There was a monofilm, heat to shrink kind of product, that I'm not sure but if it comes in clear....... Next time I'm by a hobby shop, I will enquire for sure. Does anyone know of this stuffs limitations?

I got 2 of these a week or two ago and they worked fine http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250483003500&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I also got 2 of these from whites they are for the DFX & XLT and they worked fine also P/N 601-1155 http://whiteselectronics.com/products/accessories/miscellaneous.html

As far as I know there is only one set of dedicated covers for V3 and anything else looks like half measure. I'm talking about these: Spectra V3 rain covers Surely there is no point in paying over 1000 Dollars for a piece of quality equipment only to have it protected by cheap plastic bags or covers not designed for it? Well made cover not only protects it from the rain but also from extremities of hot/cold, bumps, scratches and any kind of damage therefore making sure that our investment is well looked after.

I bought these also.....they are custom made......high quality....worth the money.

I ordered a set from Thesaurus which is illustrated in another of these post. I never received them, its been about 2 months since I ordered.

Jerry Murphy

I just received my enviromental cover for the V3 from Thesaurus in London England, this is without a doubt the best constructed cover I have ever seen, it fits very good and is padded, a great product for a great detector. My only word of caution is to find out the price in dollars and not pounds due to my error and information posted by E-Bay I did not send enough to pay for the cover which led to a couple of month in delays, but the product is well worth the inconvenience and wait. HH

Jerry Murphy

jbow said:
I remember ya'll saying that... there is no reason to cover the display housing. IIRC, the face cover is replacable if it gets scratched. I usually put a screen protector on my detectors but not with the V3... it's not necessary.

I have a scratch on the face cover but when I returned my V3 to Whites for another problem they noticed the scratch but unfortunately didn't replace it. Do you know the costs of a new face cover and is it possible to you replace it yourself?

For the XLT they were about $3 and easy to change. I imagine the V3 is similar.

BTW - screen covers had be had for about $15 on ebay right now (from an american comany) Took about 2 days to get it. They may not be as pretty as what cx3 in describing but they get the job done.

RacerX said:
They may not be as pretty as what cx3 in describing but they get the job done.

It's not really the question of something being "pretty". Anything will "get the job done" but then what would be the point of getting a better detector, camera, car or cover in that instance? Spectra V3 is one tough but expensive detector and that's why it is important to protect it well. There is no comparison between the 15 Dollar one and Thesaurus cover, but the second one needs to be touched to be appreciated :)