Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any regrets?

CT Todd..... But wouldn't you agree that running 50 tones would give an edge over just running 5 tones. You are a well-respected member on this forum so I'm just throwing this out there.
Example: 50 tones ÷ 10 = the five tones
So if you're running 5 tones, and you pass over a Target, that only registers at the third tone,... you may,..? or may not...? dig the target. But if you are running the 50 tones, the exact same Target might register a 38 or 39 tone running the 50 tones, and therefore giving you more of an incentive to dig..! Is there any logic to what I am saying, or am I missing something..?
Okay I see what your saying. I will try to explain why I disagree with the premise of what your saying.
I think actually 50 tones is a disadvantage to you. Here's why. The first thing I will say is that 50 tones tells you no more useful information than does 5 different tones at break points. You have set your tones within the 5 break points in any way you want them, and when you go over a target your machine will make a sound based on the TID of the target and where it falls in your break points. Now, that Tone will be whatever tone I have set to represent a "28" for example or whatever tone the 50 tone setting assigns to a "28". It's of no matter and no advantage because from just the tone, whatever that tone IS. I can't tell what I'm going to dig. Nobody can. What you can tell from the tone is, Is it clean? Is there iron with the tone, ect. There are a lot of Nuances that go along with any tone that's given to you and the Nuances are important . Not what the tone they are mixed with is.
I hunt with a tone break program and only listen to three total Tones with the Nuances. Iron, Mid Tone and High Tone. Here's the benefit. I deal with the same High Tone or Mid Tone every time mixed with the nuances. Not a different positive tone for 2 - 40 . I know everything about how my middle tone or high tone sounds with a little iron or anything else. It actually makes it easier to hunt. We are not talking about missing targets somehow. The machine is going to report when it sees a target. It will assign a TID and produce a Tone for it based on your settings. I say why is 50 tones better for your hunting? You will get a high tone, I will get a high tone. I'm going to get the one I'm used to getting and your going to get a different tone almost every time. How did it help you? If your making digging decisions based on tones alone you shouldn't be.
I am not looking for reasons not to dig.
On old sites I am looking at
Site that I'm on
Tone of target ( high or Mid ) No other tone matters or tells me more about the target
Size of target
Depth of target
TID of target

If there were any advantage to 50 tones I would be hunting with 50 tones. It's just more noise with no more information. We both get a tone when a target is detected. We both get exactly the same nuances mixed with the tone. I get just the same two tones each time to remember. Simpler to remember less noises to deal with. Get out there

CT Todd..... But wouldn't you agree that running 50 tones would give an edge over just running 5 tones. You are a well-respected member on this forum so I'm just throwing this out there.
Example: 50 tones ÷ 10 = the five tones
So if you're running 5 tones, and you pass over a Target, that only registers at the third tone,... you may,..? or may not...? dig the target. But if you are running the 50 tones, the exact same Target might register a 38 or 39 tone running the 50 tones, and therefore giving you more of an incentive to dig..! Is there any logic to what I am saying, or am I missing something..?
To further hijack the OP....there wouldn’t be any instance in which someones “third tone” in 5 tone would be a “38-39”. As the scale only goes to 40, 38-39 would always be the fifth tone. As stated, target placement on the -9-40 scale doesn’t change with the number of tones chosen, it’ll always be placed at the same number.
Also as stated...NUANCE IS HUGE. If you go to 7:47 in this video, listen to how bad this signal is. In this case I’m using the CTX in a 2 tone setup...a high tone for a RANGE that I want, a low tone to let me know if there’s something else around. You might wonder how in the world this could be something I was sure of. NUANCE. If I was using 50 tone I wouldn’t be able to sort this one out. Granted, the CTX and Equinox are not the same, but the idea is. Trying to convey with words the idea of NUANCE is about impossible, so with thanks to the OP for his patience....here ya go. Beware of a small amount of profanity please! Not that I care, but you might...

You really have to listen to what the equinox is telling you i dig almost all solid sounding tones especially deep ones.
I had a deep old button only show as a 8 yesterday a gold ring solid 13 those deep squeaky broken tones are sometimes rusty nails a lot of times with the nox sometimes a coins in there no machine is perfect I say when in doubt dig it let your shovel be the discrimination I usually wear out a shovel a year!
Yeah it’s rocky in Ct also but that’s what happens when you dig a lot of holes.
HH
Mark

Another very good example is calabashes pitch tone setup on the Deus it’s basically a two tone program watch how in multi tones will not see the target in with iron.He sets up his nox similar..
Mark

There's no such thing as a silver tone. The tones are what you set them as. Yes your high tone may at times be a silver item but it will just as often be something else. Yes the Nox makes a happy tone over a good round target but it certainly doesn't mean its silver. The last Minelab unit that you could tell that you had a silver coin with was the Etrac and that wasn't a tone that was with the display as a silver coin would overhang the top right edge with a blue indicator. Now go ahead and argue with me, I will bring a handful of cash and we will bet on your silver tones. Get out there
CT Todd, the Explorer II in ferrous mode would produce a warble sound to alert user of silver. Also a terrific machine for eliminating bottle caps in the lower right corner of display screen.
Tony

Thanks for answering my original question. 😀
Cherringtonsm, I would bet many folks on this forum haven’t used Garrett’s -
The first machine I bought was Garrett but it just didn’t go deep enough for me. I switched to Fisher and Whites but finally bought the Explorer minelab and have used them ever since.
Maybe post this question on the Garrett forum folks will respond more then they have here on your question.
Tony

There's no such thing as a silver tone. The tones are what you set them as. Yes your high tone may at times be a silver item but it will just as often be something else. Yes the Nox makes a happy tone over a good round target but it certainly doesn't mean its silver. The last Minelab unit that you could tell that you had a silver coin with was the Etrac and that wasn't a tone that was with the display as a silver coin would overhang the top right edge with a blue indicator. Now go ahead and argue with me, I will bring a handful of cash and we will bet on your silver tones. Get out there
Yes your right but when you do hear that nice high tone its a definite dig me tone don't care if its silver or not it's how you can tell on a deep not so good signal that counts either by walking around the target to get a better idea whats down there.
Mark

I have a question which I believe I know the answer. For anyone who used to own an AT PRO or still does, but have switched to either Equinox model do you have any regrets? Would you make the switch again?
I'm starting to have some doubts... I've only had the 800 for 3 weeks (5 hunts) but today I put in a test garden with 10 targets at 6" and almost everything but the dang pull tab sound/VDI indicate iron. I'm just getting started figuring out the Nox but the AT Pro doesn't do any better in the garden, so there's that... I did check the area before digging and cleared the hole with a pinpointer before laying the targets.

Also - a quick Howdy! First visit to this forum and impressed with the talent!

I've always hunted by sound. Excaliburs (I wore out three of them) and many PI's made me do it. The E-trac made me a bit lazy...it was too good with the visual ID! I got pretty good at I'ding targets by the sound but it was not the machine....it was me being one with the machine. It became my second set of eyes and ears. Can't explain it other than I learned the machines and what they were telling me. I am not always right, but more often than not I am correct on what it down there.

@ None and OP: both machines will find silver. Just learn them. Do NOT rule out an F75. That machine brings home the bacon.

I think too many of us gets bogged down in measurebating when you would need to find 100 Mercs to make up the cost difference between the atpro and the nox 800.

Last edited:
Nothing beats just getting out there and putting some serious hours in using your detector in the field and trying different settings.
That’s what I do and my finds pile up rings and silver coins ...
Mark