Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any tricks to more depth???

sunraysux

have a 600 guys....learning to like her; thought this was more of a toy initially but she is growing on me
besides the very obvious answers like turn up the SENS, etc....any tricks to getting more depth on this thing??
i hunt primarily in PARK1....have tried both manual GB and tracking GB
run the SENS in the 20-22 window depending on EMI and mineralization/etc
i read all these stories of these 600s and 800s picking off silver dimes at 10-12 inches....HA
5-7 is what i get...and i know what i am doing....
am used to nailing deep stuff with my Etrac....she is a depth beast!! and i love her to death for it
i do enjoy how this NOX can steer and see between junk/iron and let me clean out a ton of stuff that the Etrac misses
but the major complaint i have is not getting much depth to speak of....any help from seasoned vets would be appreciated!!

Dont know what to tell you, I can hit 10 inch dimes with mine with factory settings in P1. It may be your ground. You said you are GBing, are you SURE you need to? Have you tried tests with factory GB of 0?

DEF the ground.....i typically now just put it in AUTO or tracking GB
let the minelab circuitry do the heavy lifting...
i know i am spoiled by my Etrac....but i am a tad disappointed depth-wise with the Noxxx....not gonna lie

Hunt in Field 2, all metal, recovery 5 max.

i do hunt all metal in every mode i have tried....and i silence the ferrous stuff under 10
i have tried field 2 as well as 1.....
didn't notice much difference but more chattiness//instability
will give it another whirl tonight then........

when i manually GB....it is never ever even close to ZERO
usually between 10 and 35
so i doubt zero will be of much use......

I run mine at zero also. Tried GB and got numbers in the 70s, dipping to the 40s sometimes, and on targets with depth of any kind, a zero(0) setting compared the same for me in depth, running multi. I suspect GBing stands out more for single frequency,

I do stick with Park1 though. That might add to the consistency I get.

sunraysux said:
when i manually GB....it is never ever even close to ZERO
usually between 10 and 35
so i doubt zero will be of much use......

so, even though the manual specifically states to leave the GB at zero unless the mineral presence is strong enough to cause problems, you know better and will continue setting a GB? I guess youre right, those idiot engineers who created it dont know what theyre talking about.

If your running multi ,the machine takes care of the ground through it's electronics ...no need to ground balance.
Matt

I have a 58 cal.bullet buried in my test garden and other than my GPX-5000 which is a pulse machine my equinox (800) and my XP Deus are the only two detectors that will hit it. My soil not the best in the world(Clay and rock) .You either have it set up wrong or you have a bad machine.

Running the GB at 0 seems to help depth , though I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but target ID seems better when ground balanced. Even in multi... I often use the auto ground tracking and still usually get impressive depth

Faster recovery speed and higher iron bias reduce depth a little so sometimes running these as low as you can get away with will help you.....though its important to learn how to set these for the particular site you are hunting. And if you have the recovery speed set low , don't physically swing the detector faster than what the detector speed can handle.

Depth is affected by ground conditions too , results may vary depending on your location.

The frequency spectrum is weighted differently for different modes and that can have an effect on depth for various targets , don't be afraid to experiment with them....

I hit the 10 inch dime in park 2 its the deepest in my soil.

I have some of the worse ground you will find. I can get a 10 inch silver dime with my Nox and it is one of the VERY few VLFs to be able to do it. It wont do a 12 inch dime but 10 is very doable. I came from using an eTrac then a Ctx3030. Neither one of them would hit a 10 inch dime with an 11 inch coil in my soil. The eTrac needed a 13" Ultimate coil to do it and the CTX could with the 17 inch coil.

For me, Park 2 seems deepest on coins. I do GB with mine, and I do get better target response than I do by leaving it at 0. If your ground is bad, you will get better depth with a faster recovery speed. The opposite is true in better soil...slower recovery speeds will be deeper.

I started a thread for air tests. What you and I need to know is whether or not our machine is as sensitive as others'. Need to take ground balance and soil conditions out of the picture and get warm and fuzzies on the hardware itself. It has been mentioned and demonstrated that lower recovery speed say 3 instead of 6 on an 800 will get you 2". But the other settings in an air test I'm not so sure. I have a CTX and had depth issues with the 17" fixed after getting a replacement so it can happen but you need proof.

Turn tracking on and it runs much smoother in my mild ground and you can increase sensitivity. Water hunting right now and sensitivity 24-25. Depth goes crazy deep then. On my test dime at 10" I can raize the coil about 5".

Rick