Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone ever had this happen to their CTX?

A couple weeks ago it started with the screen freezing up while I was in the menus. Just locked up. Had to turn it off and restart. I could now move around in any of the menus with no lock up. Then it did it again one more time; it was stuck I believe in the sounds menu. I could not make it do anything except to shut it off and turn back on. I finished my adjustments with no further problems. Used the detector in my test garden and worked perfectly. Now fast forward to today and went to turn it on and no screen. It plays its little tune but no screen and a bunch of chatter. Did a factory reset; nothing. Pulled the battery out and topped off the charge and reinstalled. Start it up plays the little tune and no screen but a lot of noise. I even tried the 2 coils; 6 and 11 inch. Still nothing. Im thinking its has to go in for service. Do you guys know who do I ask for over at Minelab and do they first get you a RMA # before you ship? Thanks for any suggestions, Steve

Mine is only a month old. Used it on its second hunt and it locked up on the target trace on ,off menu. Had to shut it off and turn on again. After that had no problems locking up on third and fourth hunt with it. Now I'm concerned its going to do what yours is doing in the future ..

Yes you need an RMA number prior to just sending it in for service. Check the Minelab website for service contacts.

Call, leave a message and they will call you back in a few hours. They will ask you the serial, your info..and some info about the issue, then they will give a return number (RMA)...Once they receive you should get a call in a few days, then a email saying it is fixed and on it's way home with tracking.

There is nothing worse than a detector that works some of the time. I would stress to Minelab that you are concerned about this problem happening again after they fix it or think they have fixed it.

Does your detector have the latest firmware? I believe it was the first update that addressed a lockup issue? You can tell if you do by if you have the pinpoint lock option available, which was a later update.

Recently,I was surprised to hear that someone that recently purchased a detector didn't have the firmware updates, even though they were released looong ago

I bought my CTX 5 months ago and it didn't have the update installed as of Nov. 2013 anyway. Just a reference point.

I just sent my CTX back after it's first use. I called, they got back to me after a couple of hours, gave me an RMA # and the address to send it back. I was told that they will keep me informed as to the progress. I spoke with John and he was very courteous and professional.

Yes I do have the latest up dates with the pin point lock and sea water. Some good suggestions guys. Thanks. I will call Minelab this week. Steve

That stinks... I had to send my first detector back to... I wish you a quick turnaround time..

I know its a bummer and hassel wrapping everything up to get shipped. But hey, its all part of this wonderful hobby. Things mechanical and or electrical will break down eventually. Steve

Mine just started locking up when I went in to view my tone settings while hunting. It would lock up as I was exiting at the point where it asks if you want to save it. Did this about 3 times in one day at start of hunt. Didn't do it again yet and I sure hope it won't. I had gone in and made some setup changes and cleared the geohunt and find points from my last hunt prior to startinga new hunt.