Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone hip mount their 3030?

There is no way to hipmount a CTX. There would be no advantage to it either, it's waterproof so you're not doing it to keep it out of the water, and removing the control and battery would eliminate the counterbalance for the weight of the coil. Lastly, the cord is nowhere near long enough to allow this.

Saw my first 3030 on the beach here and had an opportunity to test drive it. I can assure you at 6'4 there is EVERY reason to hip mount this machine. It would be impossible to own one without doing so. Also after hip mounting my sovereign after 15 years I cannot think of another way to hunt.

Dave

midalake said:
Saw my first 3030 on the beach here and had an opportunity to test drive it. I can assure you at 6'4 there is EVERY reason to hip mount this machine. It would be impossible to own one without doing so. Also after hip mounting my sovereign after 15 years I cannot think of another way to hunt.

Dave
Post a pic when you get something that you are happy with.

I am 6'5 and run my CTX just fine.So I can't see the necessity for a hip mount at all.

It may be that Dave didn't see how far the shaft can be extended...you should be just fine even as tall as you are. The limitation would be the length of the cable that connects the two main portions of the machine,and the overall balance as stated above...I actually have had the same idea,not out of necessity as it's great as is,but just out of curiosity.

midalake said:
It would be impossible to own one without doing so. Also after hip mounting my sovereign after 15 years I cannot think of another way to hunt.

Dave

I'm 6'4" and I don't even have the rod fully extended and I get by fine both in and out of the water, so not impossible.

Well I had the guy's unit extended all the way....there is no way I am detecting like that! Can anyone tell me the length of the coil cable?

Thanks

From what I can see(I just looked) it appears maybe 10" long before it goes into the control unit. It's not the same end on the inner end as on the outer,it is perhaps hard wired when it gets into the control case. An extension cable would likely be your best bet,that way there's no cobbling of any kind going on and if you wanted to put it back to stock it would be very easy.

Yes, I think that it could be done.

Did it with Explorer XS and went beyond just hip mounting it.I wanted a chest mounted control box and detached the control box off the handle of the Explore XS and mounted it on a chest mount plate with shoulder harness. Made a separated power supply by way of another box , eventually with Lipo battery pod that was also attached to the same plate.I did a;ll this so I could see the screen, when I was wading in water just up to my chest, but under the height of the control box. I also made the Pinpoint and Iron Mask control switchable with my thumb, on the new shaft assembly. A little complicated to set it up and I did end up losing one of my Explorer XS's to my yearnings to do this. I blame that on a lack of patience and lack of glasses.
Apart from the lack of counter balance, (also another important consideration) especially when I used the 15 inch WOT coil with the aide of something called a Swingy Thingy, it was and still is a pretty good set up. It's a handy way to use the Explore XS for me for land detecting as well as I never had to put the control box the ground any more.:clsoedeyes:

If you don't require to look at the screen often , it MAY be that you simply require a cable extension, for the search coil to the screen, control box and upper shaft of the CTX3030 I'd be trying to obtain such a cable first, say at least 3' long, to see if the CTX3030 works with such and would allow you to determine if the CTX3030 is going to work with such.
You could attach the intact stock upper shaft of the CTX3030 with it's screen and battery, on a sling across your chest or put the stock upper shaft into a back back or connected to a belt around your waist of a shoulder harness. You could probably use the upper and lower shaft assembly of another detector or even utilize the stock lower shaft of the CTX3030 and make an upper shaft adapter for it. There's are few possibilities including the remote mounting of the PinPointer button on such a mod , but would it require a lot of patience and an understanding of what needs to be done.

I used to consider the possibility of chest mounting the screen of the CTX3030, by separating it from the upper shaft and rehousing the power supply and it's electronics, such that it was all a chest mounted unit, unlike my old Explorer XS unit ( that I still have ).
after years of using the CTX3030 as it is, l've come to realize there is little advantage to doing this other than placing it's screen closer for viewing which can help to an extent of you rely on what the CTX3030 screen is also telling you.

As I use both the screen that I look at with the sound that I get over a target or two when detecting, I have found it to be perfect the way the CTX3030 is and have kept it just as it is because I have also realized that I can get the best results from detecting with the CTX3030 as it is.
Life is just too short to get caught up with doing a mod that I have found has a marginal advantage in the way you use it and does very little to increase a detectors finding ability.

You could also possibly make a longer lower shaft to suit your needs or even make an adapter to extend the stock length lower shaft to suit your needs, but if you give it a chance, I think you'll eventually adapt to using the CTX3030 as it is and probably just forget about it because you'll probably to busy detecting and finding stuff.:thumbup:

david id

There is a lot of 6' 4" out there including me. I have short arms as my golf clubs are 1" long. No problem with the shaft length as it typically is about an inch or so from fully extended. If it is the balance that is a possible issue I hunt with the 17" coil and a detecting buddy, both in and out of the water. I can go all day without arm or shoulder fatigue.

Perhaps the beach machine was modified in some fashion?

Its been done before, can't remember who did it but when it was done, he or someone found prefabbed extension cables and I picked up a couple in case I needed to do it. Cables can be still found on the auction internet site by searching for DEE2R-83D Cable. I'd be willing to part with mine since I'll not be going that route....PM me if interested.
Another possibility is to check into Anderson shafts..... Pete "may" be able to make a special one a few inches longer. I know there is "NO" problem with the cable stretching and a shaft 3.5 inches longer other than it throws the balance off somewhat, it can be used easy enough with a slightly longer shaft.

Cliff