Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone using the nel storm coil?

LabradorBob

Staff member
Looking for depth,sensitivity to small targets.

I am a new E-Trac I have been looking at historical posts in this forum to gain helpful tidbits. Looks like there are some positive things said about the NEL coils. I'd recommend doing a search.

If the forum search is going slowly, you can also search in google by searching "findmall: nel coil e-trac"

CS

LabradorBob said:
Looking for depth,sensitivity to small targets.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Bob!

Your stock E-Trac coil will take some beating for 'small' targets at depth.

Alas, 'small' and 'depth' are generalised terms.

More specifically, for the stock '11" coil;
For circular disc shaped items, their max depth is roughly = diameter of target (in inches) multiplied by 8.

That is with your manual sensitivity at 22.

Ground variation and target conductivity add their degree of +/- to max depth.

Obviously, (depending on EMI and ground FE, more gain may get you an extra inch, or so.

Remember the old adage, "Bigger coils may lose sensitivity to the smaller target" (1/2 inch diam. or less)....so a larger coil may not improve your small-target depth of finding.

The NEL Thunder for the E-Trac can add and inch or two of depth for the average to larger sized coins;
but much less for the smaller coins.... if any at all!

The Thunder's strong-point, is its longitudinal-capture capability AT It's WORKING DEPTHS !!!!!!

I am a great fan of the 'smaller coil for smaller targets', in difficult situations.....that's my experience.

It will be interesting to read of other folk's thoughts on the subject..........Matt