Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are Washed Out areas Worth Detecting..!

fastdraw

Living in Nevada,..... (A Desert) there are many Historical places, and was once THE BIGGEST LOAD of Gold and Silver
on planet earth..! BAR NONE...!!!

Now Too the Point..! I have detected two of the biggest gold and silver mills from the 1880 too 1890 down on
the Carson river, and they were NOT easy to get too..!

Hundreds of workers processed the silver and gold. for many years. The old historical pictures
show Semi-Major populations of people for 20-30 years...! I thought I would find old coins for SURE..!

But I have found ZERO old coins...! I can't even find something from the 1950's

I dig down 3-inches,..6-inches.. 10-Inches.... !2-inches.... and even 14-inches.... and tried to carefully discriminate targets,
and I only dig beer cans or other worthless targets. Most of the targets I dig are LESS than 20 Years old..!

I Repeat....! everything I find is very deep and less than 20-years old..!

So the big question is....! In a major historical area, that floods every 5-years,... for the past 160 years...! am I wasting
my time...? Has MOTHER NATURE reclaimed the land to be hidden for all times..??

Somebody prove me wrong..!

Are the building or places they stayed still standing.
sounds like a great place. Remember they probably stashes stuff near where they stayed so think out of the box and look in areas away but not close to where they stayed. also open flat areas where they could play sports in their spare time.
look in the UN obvious places. Paths between structures.
just a thought.
I wish I had places like that here.
Doug

roll out that red carpet for me....:rofl:

Living in Nevada,..... (A Desert) there are many Historical places, and was once THE BIGGEST LOAD of Gold and Silver

Now Too the Point..! I have detected two of the biggest gold and silver mills from the 1880 too 1890 down on

Hundreds of workers processed the silver and gold. for many years. The old historical pictures
show Semi-Major populations of people for 20-30 years...! I thought I would find old coins for SURE..!

I dig down 3-inches,..6-inches.. 10-Inches.... !2-inches.... and even 14-inches.... and tried to carefully discriminate targets,
and I only dig beer cans or other worthless targets. Most of the targets I dig are LESS than 20 Years old..!

So the big question is....! In a major historical area, that floods every 5-years,... for the past 160 years...! am I wasting

It’s hard to tell if it is worth it or not without seeing the site, but if it is hard to get to, chances are slim it has been detected before.
I have been searching an old school in a riverside town and this town has been flooded many times over the years, yet I am finding silver coins in a sports field that has been under probably several feet of water from floods, yet they are still within reach of my detector.
I once thought the older coins were out of reach since modern coins were pretty deep, but slowing down and carefully scanning has resulted in quite a few silver coins from this site in addition to wheats and modern coins.
Probably the key to this site is to do as much research as you can to try to narrow down where the best chances of finding some coins are.
Aerial photos would be very helpful for you if you can find some from years ago.
With what you are describing, I’m sure there has to be some old coins in there somewhere.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, this sounds like a very interesting place to hunt!! I agree with fwcrawford's post too.
Don't be afraid to try different areas away from the sites. I have made some of my best finds hunting in the last place I would ever think of hunting. Try different hunting modes too. If its extreme mineralization, you may find it beneficial to hunt in single frequency (don't forget to Ground Balance)
Carefully study those photos they may hold some clues to where to hunt.
Unfortunately places like this will have a lot of trash to deal with (beer cans included)
How long or how much time have you devoted to hunting this site?
Don't give up.
- Jim

Are the building or places they stayed still standing.
sounds like a great place. Remember they probably stashes stuff near where they stayed so think out of the box and look in areas away but not close to where they stayed. also open flat areas where they could play sports in their spare time.
look in the UN obvious places. Paths between structures.
just a thought.
I wish I had places like that here.
Doug
Not one building exists... The many floods over the years have washed away all traces of anything old. I'll study the few old photos and stay away from the flooded areas.. and try and think outside of the box as suggested

Sounds like to me the floods are not washing the soil away but it is leaving deposits of soil settling out of the water. We have small park area here that we have tried to hunt but nothing old. Then if you stand back and look at the area you can see the sidewalks are down over a foot from what is now the top of the soil. For sure when those sidewalks were put in they were on top of the ground.

I would say your best bet would be to look for some high ground near the flood area and see if your luck changes.

Just a though as to what may have went on there over the years.

Ron in WV

The power of water changes an area, check your old photos.Coins are heavy,after each rail storm they go deeper, proof are your parks, silver dimes at 9 -10 inches, another 100 years most will be untouchable without the help of a bulldozer.

Just remember what was dropped at point A and moved by water will most likely be at point Z by now. Find old topo maps and compare to newer maps or Google Earth. May give you clues as to surface movements.